Does this computer sound decent

Diablo71
Diablo71 Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hey I have played around with hitfilm in the past but I was a mac user. My mac is old and no longer updates and I am thinking about getting a new PC I don't have a lot of money but the one I am look at has AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor, GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD. Its made my aesus. I would probably add another 16 gig of ram to it.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,399 Power User

Yeah, that's pretty solid. Going to 32GB RAM is a good idea. Also, HDD's can be slow for video editing - especially in 4k. If you can do a second 1TB SSD instead of HDD, that would be helpful.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,632 Ambassador

Yeah that's pretty good speed, similar to what I'm looking at but in laptop form. I've only ever used HitFilm with Intel, but I am told AMD is not stable.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,385 Expert

I think the AMD is not stable line of thinking is more towards AMD GPUs. Their GPU drivers have historically been a little shaky, quality wise. Of course there is the current outstanding AMD GPU hardware decode bug. Unfixed for a while (with respect to Hitfilm at least). In the enthusiast build your own PC world, AMD CPUs have be the bigger sellers for a while now. Intel has been in catch up mode.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,967 Ambassador
    edited November 2022

Would definitely stick with NVidia on the GPU side. I don't think there is much difference with your CPU as long as you are above Minimum spec - Processor: 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 (2015), AMD Ryzen 5 (2017), Apple Silicon (2020)*. But the newer the better.

Personal preference for CPU/GPU is Intel/NVidia. But AMD/NVidia should do you fine.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,967 Ambassador

Just to add, when spec-ing out any system build for video editing and graphics - Stretch to buy the meanest screaminist system you can afford. You really want high performance from your GPU/CPU combo and, of course, SSD for the OS and a second (or more) SSD's for video and project assets.

The more you can afford now will future-proof you for longer than taking a cheaper/less performance route. You're going to have this machine for a while - make it last with quality and high performance components.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,255 Expert

But AMD/NVidia should do you fine...

FWIW, I used an AMD FX8350 CPU with a NVidia 1060 and now a 1660TI with no issues or conflicts at all.