What is the correct workflow for multiple sliced shots?

Seasky
Seasky Posts: 10 Just Starting Out
Hello! I am currently trying to make a video that NEEDS to syncs with an audio.

Because of this, I have sliced my video into multiple medias in my Editor Timeline and matched with my audio. Now I'm trying to edit it, but most of the tools I need are on the Composite Timeline.

Since I can't turn multiple videos into a single Composite Shot, what is the best thing to do?
Should I render another video and re-import that video to use a single Composite Shot? Or should I have been using the Composite Shot from the start? (I feel like this last option would be very painful since I'd be using dozens of layers, doesn't make sense to me but I'm a complete novice)

I am not sure what is the best workflow for something like this, does anyone have tips on the best workflow for something like this?

Answers

• Seasky
    By the way, I've read a few threads about this such as

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/50739/how-can-i-group-several-clips-together

but I feel like I'm using the Editor Timeline correctly: I'm using it to put my shots in the desired order, the issue is just that I have a few dozens of them in small timeframe.
  • Seasky
    To clarify, my issue is trying to use keyframes (like adding zoom) between multiple clips: I can only add zoom within a clip, so if I want to use and keep zoom throughout 5 continuous clips, I need to add the same zoom to 5 clips instead of being able to keyframe the 'sides'.. I could not find a workaround.
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,385 Expert

You can put a grade clip on a video track above your editor timeline clips and add the zoom to grade clip. The zoom will be applied to everything below it. This is just like a grade layer in the composite timeline. It affect everything below it.

• Seasky
    Hey Norman! Thanks for answering.

I tried out your solution and it does Zoom, but I have very little control over when and how (I tried out many Zoom Effects (Zoom, Zoom In and Crop&Pan)), unlike when I'm using keyframes for Scale and Position.
    The Crop&Pan almost does what I need, but unfortunately it only applies to the whole length of the Layer.

I also tried keyframing the Grade Layer, but that only transforms/modifies itself.

I'm thinking maybe the best thing would be for me to think ahead and make segmented Composite Shots the next time I do something similar, since I feel like that would be faster than: editing the Timeline -> exporting -> re-importing, haha.
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,385 Expert

Sorry, I forgot that the scale and position transform properties do not operate the same when applied in a grade clip or grade layer.

Yes, Crop&Pan can give you this zoom effect and it can be applied in a grade layer.

Seems a little unusual to me to apply the same zoom in multiple clips, since one would think you want to zoom on different things in different clips. But anyway, the crop/pan only applies to the grade clip/layer and not the whole length of a timeline. If in a composite timeline, a grade layer duration does default to the length of the timeline but you can trim it to affect only the desired grade clip/layer trim in/out points.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,397 Power User

"Seems a little unusual to me to apply the same zoom in multiple clips, since one would think you want to zoom on different things in different clips.

@NormanPCN depends on the use case. I can see for something like a seminar or talking head video wanting to crop into multiple clips - although in that situation I'd crop before trimming clips.

@Seasky let's talk about the "Paste Attributes" feature which lets you copy effects and transformations (like Zoom) between clips.

Quick example: I select my first clip, open its properties and adjust my zoom and framing. I right click this clip and select "Copy." Now, I hold down CTRL (CMD on Mac), and click on all the other clips I want to have the same zoom settings and select them all. Right click and select "Paste Attributes." Now my zoom settings apply to all those clips. It's still a manual copy paste, but it's a lot faster than going one clip at a time.

The effects mentioned above are also good options. Just trying to give you every option.

• Seasky
    Sorry, I forgot that the scale and position transform properties do not operate the same when applied in a grade clip or grade layer.

No problem! It was very helpful and almost solved my issue (it only didn't because my laptop started freezing constantly, I think because of the amount of sliced clips I had [So I had to render the video and reimport as a single file]).

Seems a little unusual to me to apply the same zoom in multiple clips, since one would think you want to zoom on different things in different clips.

Just to clarify why I wanted that (for example): I apply the exact same Zoom/Crop effect onto two clips where the second clip is just a "frozen frame" of the last frame of the previous clip. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around working with multiple layers, so adding zoom and removing within a single track is much easier haha

Hey, Triem23, thanks for replying! Love your tutorials, they're very helpful!

Thanks for the option! I think that will be easier on my laptop (copying keyframes rather than stacking effects on a Grade Layer).