Updated drivers and downloaded app updated, but still won't work?

TMEwriter89
TMEwriter89 Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

I'll get the specs out of the way first. To the best of my knowledge:

Model: HP Elite 8300 desktop

RAM: 16 gigs

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics

HtFilm version: 2022.3

This same issue has happened several times. I've tried over and over to find updates for my graphics drivers, but it says I'm up to date. After the latest update for my system, the app worked fine, but the same day, it started slowing down, with audio playing over a frame rate of (no exaggeration) .5 per second, and every click taking at least three seconds to process. I just downloaded the latest patch, and that doesn't seem to have helped. It seems every time my computer updates, the app works fine, but then out of the blue, it goes back to not working, as if the specs are no longer on the required level. I'm at my wit's end, and raising a support ticket didn't help at all. Is there something I need to do with the machine itself? Like, am I missing a part or something? Any help to get this issue resolved is welcome. Thanks!

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,578 Ambassador

Hi, I think your problem here is going to be your CPU as it is getting pretty old (2012) and the intergrated GPU with that processor is now way past it's best (Intel® HD Graphics 2500). I think the best think you could do is get a dedicated GPU for your machine. I am using an old Intel processor I3, but I have a 1060 GPU 3GB which works for me.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,288 Power User

To say the same thing Andy said, but a little more forcefully, you are under minimum specifications for any version of Hitfilm. Your CPU is past end of life and has no driver updates.

Your computer is unable to run Hitfilm and you will need to upgrade your hardware. You might be able to get away with just a GPU, but any GPU more recent than the Nvidia 10xx series will likely be bottlenecked by your aging CPU.

Use the requirements listed here as a guide for what you'll need.

Sorry we couldn't give you better news.

• TMEwriter89
    Well, at least I know the problem.

Two questions, though. One: what is the cheapest option to replace the processor I have now? A more advanced processor sounds like it will hurt my bank account, so I hope to find something that will serve my needs better, but won't put me in debt.

Two: will I be able to install the new part myself, or should I pay an expert to do it for me? Again, not trying to put myself in the poorhouse, but the computer layperson such as myself wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks again, all.
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert

You can't buy an updated CPU. Newer CPUs need updated motherboards with a different CPU socket, different RAM, different chipset among other things. You probably could buy a GPU card to replace/override the CPU integrated graphics.

• TMEwriter89
    Then what's the most cost-effective graphics card that can help me?
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,578 Ambassador

It might help, but we can't promise. PC architecture is very finky, and modern drivers sometimes just don't play well with older hardware. Also given the cost of GPU's you might be best thinking it is time to take the plunge and get a new PC.

• NormanPCN

Then what's the most cost-effective graphics card that can help me?

That is a real vague statement. "cost-effective" and "help me" cannot be answered with certainty. We also do not know the interior features of your PC. In other words, what fits and can work. We don't know if your HP 8300 is a mini/micro/slim tower form factor model. A Google shows there are multiple models.

I suppose an Nvidia 1650 GPU might be a low end card one could look at. $160 USD at Amazon (ASUS 1650 OC edition 4GB GDDR6). The 16xx series are actually cut down (low cost) 20xx series GPUs.

I make no claims as to what would solve your issue, let alone inexpensively.

• TMEwriter89
    Forgive me. This issue has been a thorn in my side for months now, and I'm not a tech-savvy person. So this understandably has me frustrated and rattled, and I feel like every avenue I take to solve the problem is getting me nowhere. So there will be answers I don't understand, many given with the air of "you should already know how this goes" that only make the frustration worse.

After doing some digging, I found the receipts for the model I bought, and the details for it. Hopefully this will clear things up:

HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor Refurbished Desktop Computer
    Intel Core i5-3470 3.2Ghz Processor
    16 GB Memory
    2TB HDD, DVDRW
    Windows 10 Pro Professional 64bit
    (6) USB 2.0 (4 front, 2 rear) (4) USB 3.0 (rear), serial port, (2) PS/2, VGA, DisplayPort, (2) microphone/line-in, (2) headphone/line-out, RJ-45
    Dimensions: 13.3" x 4.0" x 14.9"
    Integrated Graphics
    VGA Input
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,898 Ambassador

@TMEwriter89 Not sure why you are asking the same question again? The answer was you are under spec. If I read correctly, your i5 is 3rd Gen. HF minimum requirements call for at least a 6th Gen i5. Plus the other answer was to migrate from your integrated gpu to a dedicated gpu card. Compare your gpu options with the minimum requirements listed here:

I understand not everybody is a tech guru, however building a video editing and graphics system does require some knowledge of hardware components. I would definitely suggest that you seek professional assistance at your local computer store or find a knowledgeable friend who can help. For example an NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 (which should satisfy the minimum GPU requirement) needs an open PCI-Express 3.0 slot on your motherboard. If this is foreign gibberish to you, then you'll need someone on your end to help.

In the end, since you need to upgrade both CPU and GPU you are probably better served to just buy a new system. Sorry that's not the answer you wanted but that is pretty much the reality of the situation.

One place I go to compare prices on components and try out system builds is PC PartPicker https://pcpartpicker.com/. There you can virtually build a whole system from the ground up (without having to buy anything) or look at other user's builds and get ideas. This will at least give you a place to start your own research.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,288 Power User

@Stargazer54 OP was answering @NormanPCN 's question to be more specific about computer form factor and components with an eye towards upgrading. For example, Norman specifically noted casing size.

@TMEwriter89 unfortunately it's likely Stargazer is correct and that you are better off buying a new machine. Yours is old enough where it's likely your motherboard won't support newer GPU's, and, being a small form factor machine, it's highly likely HP used modified/custom components and you'd have difficulty installing upgraded parts (as a side note making computer gear smaller makes it more expensive and more customized. There's a reason a laptop is twice the cost of a desktop for less powerful components and why smartphones/tablets are quite expensive compared to laptops, but less powerful).

Sorry we don't have better news.

There are current generation machines that can run Hitfilm for under $1000. Those will not be high end by current standards. You'll also be able to buy something used or from a past generation that can run Hitfilm, probably for under $500.

Only bit of general advice I'll give here - because hardware options are complex and infinite - is with Nvidia GPUS ideally get an xx70 or xx80. MAYBE an xx60 if cash is tight. Anything xx50 or lower is garbage. A 2022 Nvidia 3050 is SLOWER than the Nvidia 1080 from 2016. Yeah the 3050 has the raytracing engine but Hitfilm doesn't use that.

• NormanPCN

The machine should support low power GPUs fine. A GPU that does not need an an accessory PCIe power cable. The machine is PCI express 3 and the PSU should be enough to drive a slot powered GPU . A major question is how much room in there in that small form factor case. Even the basic card I mentioned is a dual slot card.