Help needed! Particles in the particle sim not rendering

CasualScrub
CasualScrub Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
edited November 5 in HitFilm

Hi guys!

I've been working on a composite shot where I place a TON of particle systems in the background, and when I rendered it, a lot of the particles just pop in and pop out. Is this a common issue that's just caused by trying to render too many particles? I wanted to try pre-rendering the sim but it looks like you can't pre-render particle simulators. Any help would be appreciated!

Additional info that might be helpful: I am using composite shots I created as the particle textures. Maybe this has something to do with it?

https://streamable.com/rc5ohy

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert

Try to be more specific about what you are doing and see and when. Hard to reply specifically with generic input.

I've been working on a composite shot where I place a TON of particle systems in the background

TON is not a number. Some questions could be.

With "TON (many) particle systems".

One particle system per layer. If so how many particle sym layers and is the error/artifact localized to one layer/system. You may not be able to visually detect that.

What kind of emitters are you using. Layer emitters maybe?

...and when I rendered it, a lot of the particles just pop in and pop out

I assume this means the particle lifetime seems off/bad/unintended.

Also, render means what? Playback was fine but a export (render?) was bad? Can the particle system playback or do they require timeline caching (RAM preview in the old Hitfilm).

Is this a common issue that's just caused by trying to render too many particles? 

I've never had any problem with too many particles. Except performance of course. The particle sim can be one of those effects that no computer how beefy is ever fast enough. Circumstance depending of course. I've done a system with a million particles per second. Of course that system only rendered particles for one frame, and they lived for however long.

I wanted to try pre-rendering the sim but it looks like you can't pre-render particle simulators.

You cannot pre-render layers in Hitfilm. You only prerender composite timelines. So if all your particle sim layers were in their own comp, then you could pre-render that comp.

I am using composite shots I created as the particle textures.

Often this is how I have done things in the particle sim. I've not hand problems. Depending on what the comp is for the texture layer for the particle sim, it is usually VERY advantageous to pre-render that comp. Really helps the particle sim. Maybe mostly when the texture is animated.

If you switch the particle texture to none, does it then work properly. Meaning no pop-in/out.

---

You really need to do some whittling to try and isolate a specific particle system causing your problem.