Exporting freezes and time stamp does not change

Nafis8
Nafis8 CanadaPosts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hello, I am using Hitfilm Free and I have consistently been having issues with exporting my videos. About 4/5 times when I try to export my videos, the export would stop progressing at a random percentage. The program is still functioning and has not crashed yet no progress is made.

Computer Specifications

Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ITL6

Intel i5-1135G7 @2.40 Ghz

12 GB DDR4

Intel Integrated iRIS graphics

256 GB PCIe SSD

Video details

Typically ranges from 8-10 min with multiple composite shots. Very few special effects. Hit film file size is roughly 60 MB. I add audio to the videos in .mp3 and export in 1080p. Suspending the export also takes forever.

So I know my PC specs are not great but I was usually able to export in the past with bigger more complex files. I usually close all other applications so my PC can focus on the exporting. I am considering a RAM upgrade on my laptop to help it better handle multiple tasks. It goes smoothly up to a certain percentage, then stops altogether for hours. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,889 Ambassador

Thanks for posting specs!

But I'm going to say that your integrated graphics chipset is below spec. Check minimum and recommended specs here - https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm

If you were doing ok with your previous version of HF (which I assume was Express) you might consider falling back to that version with your current system.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

Intel Iris integrated graphics is within minimum spec.

• Stargazer54

If so (and I would like to see the documentation), I still think the OP is bouncing on the low end.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

Sure. Slow, low end, does not equate to crash or hang. It is just slow. The later is on Hitfilm or the driver. The OP may have old drivers.

...and I would like to see the documentation),...

You can check the wiki listing all Intel integrated graphics progression, and of course the Intel ARK website for the specifics on the OP listed given CPU/GPU. The Intel ARK web database does not have a concise listing of Integrated graphics progression like the wiki.

• Stargazer54

@NormanPCN Thanks! Good link. Will add that to my notes.

I was just coming back to suggest that @Nafis8 might behind on drivers. The support page has a link to info on how to do that. But here is a direct link - https://fxhome.com/faq/how-do-i-update-graphics-drivers

• Nafis8
    Nafis8 CanadaPosts: 2 Just Starting Out
    Thank you both for your comments and advice. I have updated my drivers and my ram as well to 36 GB. I did notice that Hitfilm alone was consuming 8 GB of my ram alone so the extra memory may have helped make it crash less.

I was able to export my videos (far fewer freezing during export) but will continue monitoring it.

As a side note, a colleague also pointed out that my files are being pulled from the cloud rather than my local HD. He says that may also contribute to the freezing in case there is any disruptions in the cloud connection during export. Unfortunately, I have too many files to re-link on to my local HD to test this.
  • Stargazer54

Uh... yeah . . . editing over the local network is problematic enough. But trying to stream and edit files over the internet is definitely not recommended for the anybody unless you have high end dedicated bandwidth that you pay dearly for. Always best to have source footage on a local drive and SSD's will provide better performance than spinning disk.