Inexpensive set of 50 3D models at My3DTools

Alec
Alec Website User Posts: 22

Hey there,
I stumbled across this site, My3DTools, and they're having what looks to be a crazy sale on a bunch of mostly sweet looking models. 50 models for $34.95. I'm not affiliated, by the way, so this isn't an advertisement. I just came across it a few minutes ago and wanted to let everyone know. I'm about to go dump my money on them now.
http://my3dtools.net/
Thanks,
Alec

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

Too bad they don't indicate what format(s) in which the models are available.

And there's this disclaimer:"Download keys will be emailed when the sales goal has been met. If the sales goal is not reached by Dec 19 2014, ALL ORDERS WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL."

So you have to enter a key for each model? Seems counter productive to do it that way. Never heard of a company selling like that either. If they really want to make money from their product they should sell outright- not conditionally sell.

The models themselves look well crafted though.

• rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

I contacted them and asked about the format, and since I saw your question about number of downloads, asked that too. Here's the response.

Hello Richard,

The models come in Lightwave 3D " .lwo ": format. The can be converted if you have a program or modeling package that does conversions? However if you convert them they will need to be re-textured because all the surfacing was done in Lightwave 3D. Many Programs can import .lwo objects directly, so it depends on what you want to use them in?

Yes it will be a  single file for download about 125 megs. If that is a problem we can divide it into smaller files?

thanks

Fred

• Alec
    Alec Website User Posts: 22

Well, that answers that. Lightwave, huh? Lightwave uses UVs doesn't it? I'm guessing converting to OBJ would work fine. I think I'll have to do a test on some other Lightwave model out there before I take the plunge.

Thanks a ton for digging into that, Richard. I just assumed it'd be OBJ at least. Lesson learned. I may still buy them, though, if they convert fine.

Alec

• rgbii

Both HF2U and HF3P can import .lwo's.  I'm not familair enough with using 3D models to know how well they will import and retain texture files, etc...

He has updated the home page with more information about the file type.  Says it includes textures, scenes, objects & images.

Maybe someone more familair with HF's use of models can look at the page and give a guess at how well they will work.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,588 Ambassador
    edited December 2014

The models and image textures should work. Normal, bump maps, etc, not yet....

It's also noted that the download is a single zip file, so I assume one download key per customer.

Stormy--the business model for this sale is "kickstarter inspired," according to the site. Since he's selling a "$1500" pack for $50, he wants to sell a lot in one shot. Kind of like how, if you start a Kickstarter and come in $10 short of goal, you get nothing.

I think I'll buy--the site lest that model x has been in movie y, etc, so I have to assume the geometry is good. Sure there's a lot of free models out there, but a lot of them have major problems.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

The core difference being that with Kickstarter, NO money changes hands unless the goal is met, and only changes hands once the time limit is hit. It's essentially zero risk. The idea of a funding model where money changes hands immediately and you have to rely on the vendor to refund if it doesn't work I find a little unsettling, personally.

That said, the models do look good in the pics.

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

I don't like the idea of buying things money down from untested sources.

• jcloran
    jcloran Website User Posts: 2
    edited December 2014

Hi everyone.  I want to say thanks for opening a discussion about our collection and hopefully answer some questions you may have.

Many of you are wondering about the quality of the objects. The best way to answer this is with the renderings I have posted. Here you can scrutinize to your heart's content.  I’ve included may wire-frames so you can see geometry.  Most of them come textured, however only  2 use UV maps.  However, the surfaces can be baked in LW and you can convert the textures to UV if you so desire. These are the actual objects that have been used in the projects listed and have been used by VFX companies and famous matte painting artists. Some of these objects were created to sell movie ideas and concepts to Universal Studios, 20th Century-Fox, Columbia Tri-Star and the Syfy Channel.  Every object in the collection has its own background story.  Some of  the projects never made it to the screen, but they were good enough to option deals for the projects.   The moon base object, for example, was something I made with the idea of producing a show based on the Mattel toy "Major Matt Mason."  It ended up in a teaser for another show that was purchased by Sony.  (My attempt at doing a Matt Mason project was shot down when Tom Hanks leapfrogged me with a development deal.  Even though nothing seems to have come of that, my project is still dead.)

In terms of the actual dollar value of this set, that’s a little difficult to calculate since everyone works at different rates. If you were to go out and purchase the objects today-- quality objects on a good site like Turbo Squid-- what would they cost you?  Well I actually had one of these models, the SBD Dauntless, on Turbo Squid for about a year.  I figured it was very good model and I wanted to see how it would perform.  I listed it for $99 thinking that was a good competitive price comparable to other objects with equivalent detail and texturing.  The object sold eight times during that period.  Mostly, I believe, to high end VFX companies who were working on a Tom Hanks HBO series about the Pacific.  Not one of the purchasers asked for a refund or complained about the object in any way.  I can honestly say that at least twenty five of the models in this set are at the level of quality, and some are better.  That alone would make the set worth at least $2500 for just those specific 25 objects.  The other 25 objects I would say are worth between $50 and $75. This adds another $1000 value to set.

As for the sales goal and PayPal, well, like it says on the other pages, if the goal is not met, all money will be refunded.  I know this would disappoint a lot of people (us mostly), but there's not much we can do about that.  Unfortunately PayPal does not allow a pre-sale purchase, where they don’t charge your account until the item ships.  We would have been happy to have done that, and only charge when the Goal has been met, but it wasn't possible.  A couple of newer of e-commerce merchants are starting to pop up and offer this, but they're not as well-known and not necessarily available world-wide.  Plus, you would have to sign up for a completely new service and many of you wouldn’t like that idea either.  So Paypal seemed to be the best option.  The worst that can happen is that you're on the edge of your seat for a few weeks and then you get your money back.

In all honesty we thought that anyone who uses a 3d program to make money, would love this set for it's ability to help you make money.  But perhaps the the days of the small 3D boutique shops has come to pass? I was hoping that everyone would see the value in Royality Free, Quality Models? Is it the price that seems to high?  I would like to hear everyones feedback.

Thanks

JC

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@jcloran - many thanks for dropping by with more details and to answer questions. Much appreciated, and I imagine that'll resolve many people's concerns. Good luck with the remainder of the promotion!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,588 Ambassador

@jcloran - you have my money. I confess I wish more of the models had UV maps, but,  at worst, I unwrap in Blender and paint. Given the pedigree of the models, I am certain it will be quite easy to unzip. 

Thank you for the clarifications, and good luck. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,159 Ambassador

@jcloran On your website you mention Seaquest.  Did you work with Tony Stutterheim?

• jcloran
    jcloran Website User Posts: 2
    edited December 2014

I just wanted to give you guys an update I posted a free download of one of the Objects. It's the subway car. It's a very detailed object and I though it would be a good idea to let everyone sample the collection. This is in the best quality level. (so you're not getting a low level one) I t was modeled by a guy from Digital Domain, So I call it Digital Domain Quality.  One similar to it sells on Turbo Squid for around $125... This one may even be better... So it's yours free. If you like please spread the word.  (and hopefully we can make our goal)

And yes I worked with Tony, I hired him... He was the second one hired on the team.

thanks

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,159 Ambassador

@jcloran Wow.  That's a pretty detailed model.  Over 500,000 polys, textured and ready to go in LW.  If the rest of the collection is the same quality (and I have no doubt it is) then its a whale of a deal.  

Guess you can count me in.  Even if I use one of these on a job it'll save time and work for my needs.

BTW, Tony interned at my shop back in the day when he was still in college.  Showed him how to use the Cubicomp.  You'll have to ask him what a POS that was.

• Triem23

Cubicomp? Crap, that's what I learned on when I got my degree. My crowning achievement on that old thing was synching up a texture wrap on a sphere to fake raytraced refractions. It was the 1980s--I think doing a refractive ball was law, or something. 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador

jcloran  said- the worst that can happen is the $ is refunded.

Thanks for the follow-up as well, jcloran.

• fredclips
    fredclips Website User Posts: 228

I do realise this question is probably just showing my lack of experience with 3d models.

But has anyone downloaded the free demo and tried it in Hitfilm 3? I am importing the train without trouble, but it stays very 'shiny'. I did see the textures were not importing and moved them into the same folder as the models. They did then import, but it still looks very shiny...

I'm guessing there is something I am not doing correctly? or some setup options I am missing?

• StormyKnight

I did download the train but only to see if it loaded into HF3P correctly. As I recall it was a bit shiny but didn't take the time to try to correct it.

Did the pieces open in the same size for you? I noticed the middle piece was different from the two ends so I had to resize them.

I'll look at this again later after work- about 7 hours or so and see what's up with the shininess.

• rgbii

@StormyKnight yea, a couple where different sizes than the others. Would have also been nice if they where already lined up.  I'm guessing they are placed and sized correctly in the scene file, but of course HF doesn't work with the scene file, only the object file.

• Stargazer54

Yes, the subway car model parts are lined up correctly when you load the scene file in Lightwave. 

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    edited December 2014

What is the sales goal?  Like specific numbers helps encourage people with questions. 

Also, if these models are already made... why not just sell them?  If I knew someone who had these models and loved them... I would buy them today and if I got even a remotely good look at them in hitfilm and was like man these are terrific I would easily blast out this link with high recommendations out to large volumes of people.  I don't necessarily need or want all or most of the models but I would definitely buy it if i knew for sure I was getting a good deal.  Right now this is too up in the air for me.

I can pay money (today) for a maybe that enough people will sign up so that I can get some models or if we don't get enough people hope the refund works?  I can't tell you how to run your business, just make the suggestion that word travels fast when a product is done and being sold at a steal of a price.

I like the space station model, the lunar module model, the interstellar space colony model, the space craft model after that

• StormyKnight

fredclips - I tried a couple adjustments to try to take the shininess out but it must have to be done in Lightwave or maybe Blender. I don't have enough experience with that aspect but it's something I hope to learn somewhere down the line. Without a light on the model it's not as shiny.

• Rowby
    Rowby Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out

I took a chance and put in my $39.95 paypal order.  I see that the "deal' closes tomorrow Dec 19.  So if anyone was thinking about doing this, I figured I'd give a "heads up".

I'm no 3d model expert -- just a newbie on that.  So don't base your purchase on my purchase.  But thought it would be worth getting these....

Rowby

• rgbii

Threw my money at them too.  Lets hope it's not thrown back and we get the models :)

• StormyKnight

rgbii - Yeah- that would be a bummer if they don't reach the goal. I wish I knew more people that would be interested but none of my friends are into movie making.

• Messen
    Messen Website User Posts: 86 Enthusiast

I'm in. It's a great deal and I realy like the Mars themed models. 

• RobinDaviesRollinson
    RobinDaviesRollinson Website User Posts: 40

I'm in too, so fingers crossed ...

• Rowby
    Rowby Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out

Today's the deadline " If the sales goal is not reached by Dec 19 2014," 

Let's see what happens!!!

Rowby

• Daniloth
    Daniloth Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 52 Enthusiast

Rather hoping there'll be a 'close enough' attitude, but I also understand they set a goal.

I still haven't checked out the subway car freebie yet.

• rgbii

The 'Sales Goal Meter' looks like it's at about 80% or so, but I didn't see any mention of how many sales they are actually looking for.   Hopefully @Daniloth is right and they'll have a 'close enough' attitude.  If not, I'm hoping it's at least not a scam and we get our money back.

• StormyKnight
    edited December 2014

rgbii - I've been hoping they're slow at updating the sales meter and they've reached the goal but haven't shown it yet. Or maybe seeing that they've come so close they'll extend the sale a couple days.