Noise reduction effect is gone after I export. How to fix this?

Eva_365
Eva_365 Posts: 7 Just Starting Out*
I am working on a video with lots of background sea noise that I want to remove.
So I used the Noise Reduction tool to get some of the noise out.

When I was finally satisfied with the result, I exported the video (Vimeo 1080p HD default preset). When I clicked on the video file, the noise reduction effect was gone.

I have tried exporting 4 times in a row now and the result is always the same: no noise reduction.

Am I missing something here? Is there some extra step I need to do to make sure the noise reduction effect sticks?

My specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz

GPUs: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with Max-Q Design

Operating system and version: 64 bits, x64

HitFilm version: 10th October 2022 version; HitFilm Pro

Total RAM: 16,0 GB (15,8 GB available)

Model name: HP

Windows 10

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,889 Ambassador
    edited October 27

@Eva_365 Are you applying the Noise Reduction effect in a composite shot? I was able to duplicate the problem using the noise effect in a comp shot. Rendering the Editor timeline with an In point just before and an Out point right after where the comp appears on the timeline proved to me that it wouldn't work with a comp shot.

But applying the Noise Reduction on an audio track on the Editor timeline and exporting does work. So . . . . sounds like there is an issue with NR not working in a composite shot?

Anybody else seeing this?

• Eva_365
    @Stargazer54 No, I was applying the Noise Reduction effect directly on three audio tracks on the Editor timeline. There is a composite shot, but it only spans the very few last seconds of the video and I did not touch it while editing audio.
  • Stargazer54

Hmmm... I've run my test again and even exported with the Vimeo 1080p HD preset and NR works directly from the Editor timeline on export. Stupid question: Are you sure Noise Reduction is on with the Green checkmark in the Controls panel?

I assume that NR is checked and on when you export, so my only next guess might be audio drivers. Are your drivers up to date? Best to get your driver updates from the chipset manufacturer instead of relying on Microsoft update as they are not always the most current.

You might also try taking the Threshold level down from 100% to say 90% and see if that has any impact.

Other than that, I am stumped. Tagging @Triem23 and @Andy001z to see if they might have some insight.

BTW, I again tested applying NR in a composite shot and NR had no effect on the rendered output - even though I could hear a difference in playback within HF before export. Somethings not right with NR in a comp shot.

• Eva_365
    edited October 29

Green checkmark was on.

Not sure about the audio drivers...that could be the problem. Could you help out with that? I am completely clueless with updates :D not even sure what a chipset manufacturer is, to be honest (I am not a native english speaker, though, so there's that).

Threshold level was like 60%-80% everytime I tried to export with NR. Everything sounded fine before exporting.

I made sure to add Noise Reduction to the actual audio tracks, so my problem is not related to composite shots. Definitely worth looking into that, though. It's odd that HitFilm wouldn't let NR work on comps.

• Stargazer54

@Eva_365 Again, I am just guessing about drivers, so if you aren't comfortable or familiar with the update process I would suggest contacting FXHome support directly - https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm

Looks like the support page has been updated so I believe you have to select the Contact Us link in the lower right or scroll down and click Ask our Team. BTW it is worth reading the info on how to update your GPU drivers.

To determine what you have in your system there are a couple of ways to do it. In the lower left of your desktop "Type here to search" window type in System Information and hit enter. Or the old school way is to type in Computer Management and then select Device Manager on the left side of the window that pops up and scroll down to "Sound, video and game controllers". Open the drop down in that category and it will tell you which audio devices you have installed.

Also tagging @CedricBonnier about the NR non-function in a comp shot. He may also have a clue about what is going on with the Editor timeline issue you are experiencing.