How do I get my video on YouTube to always play at full 1080p resolution?

JS2828
JS2828 Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
Hello

How do I get a video that I have uploaded to YouTube that I have made in 1080p (MP4 60pfs) to always play at full 1080p resolution?

As things stand when I play the video on YouTube (i.e. using a browser), the quality is always defaulting to "480p Auto", even though if I change the settings while viewing the video (using the gear icon under the video), I *CAN* get to play the video at "1080p60 HD".

My problem is that most users won't know to change the quality!

Btw, the video is only 2 minutes long and I loaded it several hours ago. And in the "Studio" back office of YouTube, there is a blue icon for both Video Quality "SD" and also "HD".

Thanks

J

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,276 Power User

You don't. You have no control over how YouTube presents your video.

• JS2828
    OK that's what I thought too.

But what explains why MY videos are defaulting to such low resolution when I view them and OTHER people's videos are defaulting to HD?
  • JS2828
    PS Is it better to use MP4 or MKV format?
    I saw somewhere that someone was saying that one should try and get YouTube to use VP9 rather than AVC and that one should upload in 2K or 4K resolution rather than 1080p.

My problem is that I am a novice and can't work out how to convert a video from 1080p into 4K!
    I tried using HandBrake but I couldn't work it out!
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

Hitfilm does not export MKV and besides MKV is not actually anything specific. It is just a file format. A file format that can contain many types of video (codecs). The same is true of MOV and MP4. Actually those two are effectively the same container.

How to get Youtube to encode your video as VP9?

High view channels always get this, but anyone can get this. If the video uploaded is "2K" or greater resolution. 2K being 1440 video. 2560x1440.

To export a 1080 timeline as 1440 it is as simple as using(creating) an export preset that sets/changes the source timeline frame size to 2560x1440. When exporting to the Hitfilm MP4 format you will want to use a suitable bitrate for 1440 in your export preset. Maybe something like 28Mbps average and max 1.5 more than that. With 1440p60 then maybe more. I've not tested directly. Some of this depends on what Hitfilm version you are using. The video encoder used in the paid Hitfilm is much better than the operating system encoder used by the free version. The bitrate I listed is geared more towards the Free version. The paid version can use a fair bit less bitrate (and thus smaller file).

• JS2828
    Crumbs. This is quite complex stuff for a novice like me.

I am using the free version of HitFilm (v2022.2 - 19.1.2.0). I doesn't seem to offer a higher resolution without paying to upgrade.

But I managed to get YouTube to encode my video as "vp09" (under "Stat for nerds") by upscaling it using Handbrake. Here are the details:

I exported from HitFilm using "YouTube 1080p HD", and then used HandBrake (v1.5.1 - 2022011000) to upscale it using the following settings (which I copied from a youtube users video somewhere):

- Allow upscaling [ticked]
    - Resolution Limit: "2160p 4K UltraHD"
    - Width:2560 Height: 1440
    - Video Code: "H.246 (Nvidia NV Enc)
    - Frame rate: 60
    - Constant Frame Rate [ticked]
    - Average Bitrate: 50000
    - Optimise Video, Encoder Preset [minised - dragged to the left]
    - Audio Codec: MP4 Bitrate: 224
    - Format: MP4
    - Web Optimised: [ticked]
    - Align A/V start: [ticked]

Curiously my different browsers seem to be defaulting to different resolutions.
    Firefox defaults to "Auto 480p"
    Chrome defaults to "Auto 720p60", but generally upgrades to "Auto 1080p60" after a few seconds. BUT it seems to do so more quickly if you just mouse-over the gear icon!

Meanwhile YouTube seems to be extremely unpredictable i.e. "moody"!
    i.e. Even though they are all of codec "avc1", sometimes my simple 1080p exports from HitFilm are rendered in 1080p sometimes they aren't.
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

It’s worth noting that YouTube itself has been making some changes. Because bandwidth is expensive, they stopped letting normal users stream in 4K. It’s now a feature you can only get with a subscription.

Additionally, they’ve been doing experiments with seeing how low they can default the resolution before the average person notices/cares… most people actually don’t notice a difference between 720p, 1080p, 1440p, or even 4K unless they are playing side by side. Especially if you’re on a tablet or phone!

On top of all that, YouTube always tries to get you a non-buffering stream, no matter how slow your connection might be. If there’s (for instance) a lot of traffic on your network, it will drop the resolution to make sure you can keep streaming. Sometimes it over corrects, since it wants plenty of headroom if it can get it.

• NormanPCN

@JS2828

I am using the free version of HitFilm (v2022.2 - 19.1.2.0). I doesn't seem to offer a higher resolution without paying to upgrade.

Sorry, I briefly forgot about the 1080 restriction on Free. If you are going to transcode externally, might I suggest you export from Hitfilm to a much higher bitrate than the normal/typical Youtube preset. Every time you encode something in a lossy format you lose a little bit of quality. So having a much higher Q intermediate could help. Especially as the Windows OS AVC encoder ain't all that good. Or just export to Hitfilm 'MOV', which is Cineform video. A very high quality intermediate video format. Handbrake does understand the Cineform video format.

---

@triforcefx

Because bandwidth is expensive, they stopped letting normal users stream in 4K. It’s now a feature you can only get with a subscription.

The 4K paywall experiment/change was ended.

• JS2828
    >>>
    Sorry, I briefly forgot about the 1080 restriction on Free. If you are going to transcode externally, might I suggest you export from Hitfilm to a much higher bitrate than the normal/typical Youtube preset. Every time you encode something in a lossy format you lose a little bit of quality. So having a much higher Q intermediate could help. Especially as the Windows OS AVC encoder ain't all that good. Or just export to Hitfilm 'MOV', which is Cineform video. A very high quality intermediate video format. Handbrake does understand the Cineform video format.
    >>>
    @NormanPCN where does one set the bit rate for exporting?
    On the Export panel, I am currently using the Preset of "YouTube 1080p HD".

The only "MOV" Presets seem to be two GoPro formats which are called either:
    A) "GoPro Cineform YUV 10-bit (MOV)"
    or
    B) "GoPro Cineform RGB 12-bit with Alpha (MOV)"

Which do you think would work best with HandBrake?

J

PS Do my settings look broadly sensible? [see my post about 3 above this one]
  • NormanPCN

@JS2828

@NormanPCN where does one set the bit rate for exporting?

On the Export panel, I am currently using the Preset of "YouTube 1080p HD".

Create a new Hitfilm 'MP4' preset. Or duplicate the Youtube preset and edit and rename the duplicate. Then use that preset on your exports.

The only "MOV" Presets seem to be two GoPro formats which are called either:

A) "GoPro Cineform YUV 10-bit (MOV)"

B) "GoPro Cineform RGB 12-bit with Alpha (MOV)"

Which do you think would work best with HandBrake?

The predefined GoPro Cineform YUV 10-bit (MOV) should be fine. Or you can create your own preset if you want to use a different Cineform quality level.