Video looks worse once processed...

lennnyblevens
lennnyblevens Posts: 15 Just Starting Out*

Hello I just started to use the new update and after waiting an hour for the performance Proxy to apply to my video I got done editing the beginning and waiting an hours to process the whole video. But once it did I watched the beginning and it has awful pixilation, I thought maybe uploading to YouTube wouldn't be so bad but it just looks worse! I use the basic 1080p YouTube preset. Anyway to make my video look better? Even in the little preview window there isn't any pixilation.

The preview window

The one that processed

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

The one that processed.

Is that the screenshot of the Youtube result of that of your Hitfilm export? If the Hitfilm export is good and the Youtube result is not then there is nothing you can do about it except change your content. Some things in video do not compress very well, without strong loss at the low bitrates that services like Youtube and others use. Always only view your export for quality. Not Youtube. You have no control over what Youtube does. You do have control over the quality of your export from Hitfilm.

You neglected to tell us what Hitfilm version you are using. I am going to assume it is the free version of Hitfilm. If the previous free Hitfilm, Hitfilm Express, then I will assume Express version >= 2021.2, or any version of the current Hitfilm Free license. I'll also assume you are running on Windows.

These versions of Hitfilm use the Windows operating system AVC encoder on Hitfilm MP4 exports. This video encoder has quality issues. Most often in video game content with somewhat sudden camera movement/pans. These areas might also be related to low contrast regions where one color channel may be a little weak in information. Quality is lost briefly and then recovers. The quality loss shows as blockly/pixelated results.

The solution to compression artifacts is always to increase the bitrate. You might have to double it. I found that necessary in a test I performed which is covered my Adventures in AVC encoding thread. The last post. It's a technical thread but I do show my results. To adjust bitrate you would duplicate the Youtube export preset you are using and change the average and max bitrate settings to your new values. If you double bitrate then the export file size will be double but the quality can be maintained. The exact amount of bitrate increase to remove artifacts can only be determined via trial and error.

Another solution to compression artifacts is to use a better video encoder. Paid licenses of Hitfilm do use a better AVC encoder for Hitfilm MP4 exports, as I show in my encoding thread. Another way to use a better encoder is to export a high quality intermediate from Hitfilm. Cineform (e.g. Hitfilm MOV). Then transcode that externally with another tool using a better encoder. Handbrake is a common free tool which uses the x264 AVC encoder. The x264 encoder is basically as good as it gets.

• lennnyblevens
    lennnyblevens Posts: 15 Just Starting Out*

No that is not the one from YouTube it is just from the Windows Video player. I don't know where I increase the bitrate? I go to project settings and don't see anything called Bitrate, just color depth which I maxed out and did nothing. Is it located somewhere else?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

You must have missed this in my original post.

To adjust bitrate you would duplicate the Youtube export preset you are using and change the average and max bitrate settings to your new values. If you double bitrate then the export file size will be double but the quality can be maintained. The exact amount of bitrate increase to remove artifacts can only be determined via trial and error.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,276 Power User

Export tutorial. Should show where bitrate settings are.