Set Matte effect on a text layer does not pull in the mask from a Plane layer

Davlon
Davlon Posts: 288 Enthusiast
edited September 4 in HitFilm

I've got text moving right to left on a text layer, and I want it to fade out when it reaches the left side of the screen. To do this I've tried two methods, neither of which are producing the fade:

1. In my composite shot I created a Plane layer and drew a shape with the mask tool. I feathered the mask, so when the text reaches it, the mask will create the fade effect. Going back to the Text layer, I added the Set Matte effect and selected my Plane layer as the source. This did not mask the text at all, and no amount of flipping selectors or controls was able to make the text fade out as it slides to the left.
  2. I did the same operations but this time tried to create the Plane layer in a separate composite shot. Again, no success.

Repeated viewings of help tutorials from a variety of users did not help. Can it be my Set Matte effect is simply not working? What's the fix?

Tagged:

Comments

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,126 Expert

The Set Matte Effect does it's thing before the mask takes effect. Therefore, you need to bake in the mask first. The easiest way to do that is to place the plane underneath a Grade Layer and the source the Grade Layer in the Set Matte Effect. Everything under the Grade Layer will be baked into the Set Matte Effect as a result.

Pay attention to the Matte Source. If you leave it at alpha, make sure all the transparencies are accurate.

• Davlon

Are you saying the order of layers determines their interaction? In the video tutorials this is not mentioned. I've been seeing users create masks using/animating a Plane layer, and then pulling down Set Matte into their text layer. They then select their Plane layer as the mask/matte source.

• Davlon

How does the Grade layer work in consort with the mask? In your setup, is the mask on layer 3? If so, would the visible-eye icon be turned off? I've been out of Hitfilm for almost two years -- would you be able to expand on your answer, as I'm not understanding how to apply it to my setup.

I've posted two images, one showing how I've got my layers arranged, and the other showing the mask layer.

I want the text to fade out before it reaches the box with the feet. As you can see, the text is visible clear to the left edge.

• Davlon
    edited September 4

@FilmSensei

Jay, I've set up a new project using your method and I'm still not able to get the Set Matte to mask my text. Would you be able to add more details to your explainer -- I've been following the video tutorials as well, but something is not working here.

• FilmSensei

Yes, it is an order of operations thing. HitFilm treats a grade layer like a single layer that contains everything underneath it. That essentially bakes in the masks. Here is a quick personal video for you...

https://youtu.be/r4nujq4ZtiA

• Davlon

You did not have to do that!

But it clarified the process and you're to be praised for your good-hearted generosity.

Most grateful, truly.

• FilmSensei

@Davlon Hopefully it helps. Good luck, and if you need anything else, please just let me know!