Do you have to deactivate to transfer to a different computer?

Lewys
Lewys Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

Hi there. I have a creator tier subscription to hitfilm with the program downloaded on my old Windows Surface Pro 4... I have just purchased a gaming computer with higher specs hoping that it may be able to handle 4K footage editing a little better; HOWEVER, it seems that hitfilm will not let me download the program. I'm guessing it can only be on one system at a time?

With that in mind, if i sign in to my hitfilm account and 'deactivate' it from my windows surface, will i then be allowed to 're-activate' it on my new PC...or does hitfilm just delete your subscription completely?

I really hope that is not the case as I only bought the subscription a month ago -_-

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,298 Expert

You can deactivate on one machine and reactivate on another as much as necessary. Your subscription/license is not terminated on deactivation.

That said, this is what FxHome says about the subscription plans.

"If you’re subscribed to the Creator or Pro plans, you get 2 activations of the software with your subscription, which means you can use it simultaneously on 2 computers. The Free plan lets you use your software on 1 computer."

So just use your existing install file, if you saved a copy, or download the free version of Hitfilm again, and install that on the new machine, and simply activate it on the new machine.

If you are not going to use Hitfilm on the old PC then certainly deactivate it there to free up that license seat for something/somewhere else.

• Lewys
    Thank you so much for this information
    Norman! it's very helpful. hopefully i can find a way to just download the second lo license onto the new PC then. it seems when you sign in to the FX home page, the button to 'download' changes to 'upgrade'.
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,298 Expert

Yep, the whole download thing was simple for years. It is now basically crappola.

• Lewys
    Tell me about it! I was running HF Express for ages, really enjoyed it and then went to update and got caught by it changing to the subscription model. Thought "fair enough, i enjoy the program, it works well, i'll go ahead and buy the subscription", then sure enough, have had nothing but problems since!

Just copied the program files onto an external hard drive and then dropped them all onto the desktop of the new PC and the program will start but none of the transition effects or plugins are listed because it doesn't have the setup/installer file in the folder....This just doesn't want to go smoothly at all! haha!
  • Lewys
    Think I've found a way. just had to go back to the original email that was received when buying the subscription (lucky it hadn't been deleted) and there is a link to an install page on the website...which to the best that i can see isn't available on the website if you're just browsing through it without the link.