Why can't i import png images with no background ?

moxss
moxss Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

this is the image i am trying to upload 👇️👇️👇️👇️

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,298 Expert

There are many different formats of PNG file. Hitfilm likely does not support all of them. The free MediaInfo utility should give details of the file. The full text view report can be copied here.

If the file uploaded to this forum, rellcoin.png, is the exact image you are having a problem with, then I am able to load that file into Hitfilm without error. I tried this in the current version of Hitfilm. You made no mention of what Hitfilm or version you are using. Then again, maybe this forum modified the uploaded image file for compatibility. I downloaded the image from the forum.

• moxss
    Hello

Thank you for replying .

I use Version 2022.1 (19.0.2.0) and tried to download it from the forum but it still gives me the same error .
    Maybe the problem is when i try to download the image it always ends with .webp then i have to manualy change it to .png or .jpg am i doing it the wrong way ?
  • NormanPCN

You can't just change a file extension from PNG to WEBP or whatever. They are completely different file formats and are incompatible.

I am using Google Chrome and what I did was right click the image in your post and selected "save image as...". The file comes down as PNG. Specifically image.png.

• moxss
    But when i try to save it its always like this
  • moxss
    All good i found an extenion that helps me with my problem

thank you
  • NormanPCN

You are not giving any information for me to directly comment. I'll make assumptions. I assume in your most recent post with an image upload that you are talking about saving the image from the forum page (right click, save image). I assume you may be using the Microsoft Edge browser. It seems that browser always wants to save a PNG file as a webp. So it converts the online PNG file to webp and saves that.

It goes without saying that Hitfilm does not support webp files. If you have a webp file and want to use it in Hitfilm you are going to have to convert it to something Hitfilm does support. Like PNG when the image has transparency. If you do not have an image editing program that can do this, then there are free online image file converter sites out there.

Google is your friend. A search for, convert webp to png, gives a result where the first result seems reasonable. cloudconvert.com

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,192 Expert

Just for additional info, I have used the free GIMP photo program to open .webp files then Export them out as PNG with no problems.

• assensy
    assensy Posts: 60 Enthusiast

This is not a PNG image. WEBP with PNG extension changed.

The solution is elementary: IrfanView - a great free and small-size application for viewing, converting and correcting images. It has very well developed batch processing. It supports free plugins and with them becomes a powerful tool for anyone who regularly works with images.