Twas A Black Friday Indeed

duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast

The wife leaves 5:00am Friday morning to go to Chicago to visit her family. Not back until late Sunday night. Yippy!!!! Have house to myself, HitFilm3, the drum set in the studio finally mic'ed up....I'm good to go ..

NOT...flip on the studio computer and it draws both monitors from top to bottom. Click on any icon and both monotors blink, blink, then B-S-O-D.

My trusty 560-Ti finally bit the dust, clock wont sync. I live out in the sticks, an hours drive to the nearest place to get a new vid card. Of all the times for this to happen.

7 hours later I am finally up and running. 660 installed. So far so good.

Duff

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited November 2014

When you least expect it- that's when it happens. And usually when you're in a 'looking forward to it excited' state of mind.

Glad you're up and running again.

How long have you played drums?

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

I hate when that happens.

And possibly the worst weekend to have to drive into town!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

On the bright side, you upgraded to a better card! The improved performance eventually pays for itself! 

• duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Haven't really noticed any big improvement with the new card yet. Guess I should try some heavy particle stuff.

Stormy....Been beatin the skins for 10 months.  I had play them years ago as a secondary instrument. I'm not very good, but can do well enough for the stuff I write and produce in the ole "home studio."

Here is my first out the gate with me drumming....doin everythin else as well.  Honorable mention to my daughter Cyd for running the board while I drummed. Remember I am not really a drummer..... just a wanna be.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1378871/My Story.mp3

Duff

• TheDigitalMediaTheDigitalMedia Website User Posts: 195

@duffman I like it, when is the CD release? Pretty good mix. I listen on my Nexus 7. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,244 Staff
    edited December 2014

@duffman - I've played drums for about 20 years, and one of the most common mistakes I've heard people make is trying to play a drum groove that is just too complicated for what the song requires, or adding too many fills, which gets distracting. You did a great job of playing a drum part that complimented the song without drawing needless attention to itself. Well done.  

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@duffman - That's a catchy song. Gave me an ear bug!

And Axel's right; the drumline really does compliment the song quite well.

You play better than me. I tried picking up drums but don't have the coordination to accomplish fills in time. So I'll stick to keyboards and guitar.

Can we download the song to listen to anytime?

• duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    edited December 2014

Axel, Stormy, thanks you for the kind words and the listens!!!!

The hardest part in all this was the  moving mics around trying to find the sweet spots, with the snare being a nightmare.

The file is in a public folder in DropBox. Opposite click on the link then pick SAVE AS.... If this fits a need in a video project please use it.

Thanks!!! 

Duff

And thank you! Drums can be a real pain in the you know where when trying to mic them. But I didn't notice any anomoly so good job there. Your daughter has done well too.