Hitfilm and HitFilm Express VIEWER Play button BROKEN

Daya
Daya Posts: 13 Just Starting Out*
Hey, I've been using HFE for over 7 years now without any troubleshooting. It's been amazing!
Last week it stopped working.
Every time I try to press PLAY on the viewer section, the program freezes to a point I have to force kill it from task manager.

PC is fully updated in terms of software and drivers

CPU 10600K Intel

AMD 6600XT

96GB RAM

Win 10 64 bit

I mainly work with mp4 files.
Please help, the program is not usable as of now!

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,614 Moderator

Has anything on your computer changed within the past week or so? Any major updates or larger software installations or GPU updates?

Sometimes updates or major changes can actually revert certain drivers (particularly GPU drivers). There’s also a possibility (though hopefully unlikely) that the update broke compatibility with your older version of the software.

Also, I believe someone recently had issues with a beta version of their GPU drivers and HitFilm (and I’m pretty sure it was an AMD system). If this is the case for you, you’ll need to revert to the Stable release.

Try updating your graphics card using the information and links on this page:

• Daya

No, I have not installed anything new, I'm a gamer, streamer and a pc tech myself.

I have not made any changes, it only makes sense that If that were the case I'd revert them and try again. However, it is not.

Just to check myself anyway though, I did go and check the recommended driver on that site and it's the one I have.

So I am at a loss here.. don't know what to do. Can't edit videos.

Support tickets just lay there, unanswered.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,796 Ambassador

Did you uninstall, reboot, then re-install?

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,126 Expert

@Daya Just a quick thought... Have you unplugged your headphones or speakers, or generally made any changes to your audio set up?

• Daya

Nope, My audio setup is kinda complex because of streaming, s I haven't changed it. I try not to change it at all.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,126 Expert

The reason I ask is because if there is no audio input, HitFilm won't play. You an scrub through the timeline, but the play button is ineffective.

I personally use Voice Meeter Banana coupled with Ear Trumpet to control my sound devices, so I can appreciate a guy with a complex sound setup! 😀

• Daya

Heya!

I opened 2 support tickets over 2 weeks ago, and no response yet.

Hit film and Hitfilm express are not working for me (after 7 years of being flawless). Viewer play button not working.

This is my second post here, opening in HOPES that someone would see it and help for real.

On discord I was told to go here to seek help.... so trying again...

Please help, I cannot edit videos, at all.

PC is a UFO machine. All drivers are in check. HFE Been working amazing till it stopped.

Daya

• Daya

Hehehe nice, I use the potato version!

It's not that it doesn't just play, the second I press the button the whole program freezes and I have to force kill it.

Been using VM for a while now though.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,188 Power User

First, check the Spam folders in your email client. Support not responding for two weeks isn't like them.

Second - read this and answer the questions asked in that thread here. You have given zero useful information at all, therefore, no one can help you.

• Triem23

One thread per problem, please. Two threads? Yeah, your second thread wasted my time finding the Support question sticky, typing a response, copy/pasting the link, only to find this original thread that actually had information. Users, Moderators and Ambassadors are unpaid and attempt to help to be nice. Make our lives easier, please.

• Daya
    • 1. CPU - it's Up there Intel 10600K over 4GHz
    • 2. GPU - it's Up there AMD 6600xt
    • 3. Operating System - it's UP there Windows 10 64 bit
    • 4. Total RAM - it's UP there as well! Over 90GB
    • 5. Not applicable
    • 6. It's UP there
    • 7. Confirm drivers are up to date - it's UP there, they are up to date
    • 8. I cannot record and upload a video of me pressing a button and the app stopping to work. I put a screenshot of the frozen app in the support ticket I opened.
    • 9. Frame rate mode? Usual frame rate I use is 30 or 60, depending on the video, if that's even what this question is about. If not, I don't understand what it's asking.
    • 10. Codec - I don't know. Whatever my AMD card supports or the CPU. Never changed any of that, so idk!
    • 11. Should I add a screenshot of my mails? It's 2022, even kids by the age of 7 know of the spam folders.
    • 12. My first thread was asking for help specifically. The second one is asking for support to look at their mails.
    • 13. I don't expect anyone who is not paid to help me. All I'm trying to do is to get my SUPPORT TICKETS in my mail answered.
  • Daya

When 72 hours turn into 11 days. Nope, I'm not imagining. No need to be rude. Just trying to get help!

• Triem23

@Daya your information is listed above because I combined your second thread - with no information - with your first thread. Don't get all-caps with "It's UP there" with me, dude. You wasted my time with a redundant thread with no information where I copy/pasted a sticky thread at you. After that, I found your original thread, merged them, and you'll see a comment where I've also asked/reminded you to create one thread per issue. You've now responded to me with all-caps sarcasm.

This forum is titled "Community Support." In general, it's users posting here, not so much Staff. Posting here hoping to get Support to respond to your email probably won't get them to respond.

Now - the reason we ask about frame rate is to check for something called "variable frame rate." (VFR) Almost every phone app and screen capture app records VFR. Long story short, if you have what you THINK is 30 or 60 (really 29.97 or 59.94) fps but it's VFR then it's NOT the frame rate you think it is. The actual frame rate is changing second-by-second, and might even be FASTER than the target frame rate.

Every NLE works at a "constant frame rate" (CFR). 30 MEANS 30. If you throw VFR footage into an NLE like Hitfilm it has to try and figure out how to space out extra frames when "30" is less than 30 and where to throw away frames when "30" is more than 30. This can actually cause all kinds of problems, including dropped frames, "black frames," stuttering playback, audio drift and other issues. VFR should be converted to CFR before editing.

We ask about codecs because, to oversimplify, not all "mp4" files are equal. Besides the aforementioned VFR/CFR issue, differences in bitrate affect performance. There are slightly different ways of encoding frames - I, P, and B frames (storing all pixel data, storing partial pixel data while filling in "missing" data by looking at past frames, and storing partial pixel data and filling in "missing" data by looking at prior and future frames). Types and amount of IPB frames can affect performance. In fact, abusing P and B frames by deleting I frames is the entire point of "datamoshing." Encoded bitrate can be constant (CBR) or variable (VBR). This isn't usually considered a problem like VFR (VBR is usually superior), but it can affect performance. Hitfilm Express after 2021.1 uses the Windows encoder/decoder instead of a third party encoder which costs licensing fees. Pro uses the Main Concept encoder, which is better than Windows - recent threads about how more recent versions of HF Express or Free give worse results than older versions at the same bitrate all come down to the Windows encoders are terrible and Main Concept isn't the best commercial encoder. This can affect performance.

Oh, yes, mp4 is the h.264 (AVC) codec. But an "mp4 file" might have h.265 (HEVC) encoded video. And Microsoft, in its wisdom, stopped including the HEVC codec in Windows in 2018. It's now a $0.99 download. This week we had a user wondering why he couldn't open "mp4" files from their drone. The problem was they were recording HEVC.

The free program MediaInfo can provide all kinds of information about your video files, including codec, VFR/CFR and other information. A "Tree" report of some of your video files would be helpful. YouTube has tutorials.

Now. I'm off to resign as Ambassador. After 8 years of spending untold hours of time assisting users with unofficial tech support, software/VFX techniques, filmmaking hints and general advice, you're the one that "broke" me. After @spyresca I've been mulling it over for awhile. Just a year ago I would have said the FXhome forum was the best on the internet. It's not anymore.

Spyresca, you win. Come complain all you want. No one else will call you out, and I'm utterly done.

• Daya

Dude, why do you have to be so rude?

If you're doing this out of the goodness of your own heart, and you don't enjoy it, please, just don't get it out on me here. You really do not have to respond or read this.

"This forum is titled "Community Support." In general, it's users posting here, not so much Staff. Posting here hoping to get Support to respond to your email probably won't get them to respond."

-

I posted here cause the face of HFE on discord told me discord is not a place to ask for help, so people said to take a forum help try first. While waiting for the support to answer. I know it makes little sense, but I'm not here to bother anyone. So I tried.

I wrote that my info is UP there because of your "You have given zero useful information at all, therefore, no one can help you." which was obviously out of place and incorrect. Not to mention aggressive.

I'm not a first time user of the program, and I haven't changed anything I do or the files that I use. So the reason it's not working is logically not the frame rates or the mp4 types, or the codecs, since those particles of the equation have not changed at all. Hence I need support from the official party in the support tickets, hence my second thread that mysteriously got deleted, asked for that.

I am not here to waste my precious time, nor anyone else's. And I'm definitely not here to read rude comments or have meaningless discussions with other human beings.

Your approach is just very shocking and that's all I'm going to say.

Have a good one!

• Triem23

Dude, I already went over this.

You created a duplicate thread with zero information. My initial comment was based on your thread with zero information. Then, later, I discovered this original thread and merged not deleted your duplicated thread (as I said already in my above comment - literally in the first sentence) with zero information with it.

To be met by your increasingly sarcastic response. To wit, "It's UP THERE!" Sorry I forgot to delete my initial response to your duplicated thread which hasn't been deleted, but merged with this one.

You wanna know why I merged it? First, duplicate threads don't actually help get your questions answered - they fragment discussion and usually lead to the exact same information being repeated in a loop.

Here is the exact text you left in your second thread - I copy/pasted it here from where it sits higher up in this very thread.

"Heya!

I opened 2 support tickets over 2 weeks ago, and no response yet.

Hit film and Hitfilm express are not working for me (after 7 years of being flawless). Viewer play button not working.

This is my second post here, opening in HOPES that someone would see it and help for real.

On discord I was told to go here to seek help.... so trying again...

Please help, I cannot edit videos, at all.

PC is a UFO machine. All drivers are in check. HFE Been working amazing till it stopped.

Daya"

No specs, no information on your files, no notices on of you've changed anything about your system, no comments on if you changed anything about your capture process - new screen recorder, new phone/camera, etc. It was useless.

By the way, did you happen to notice that I happened to answer your questions about why the support sticky asks about codecs and video formats? I suggest you download MediaInfo and check your files on the off chance that provides more relevant data. Funny thing... Recently we had another user saying something similar - HF worked until it didn't. Know what the problem was? He upgraded his phone and all his new footage was HEVC in an mp4. File, not AVC. Know why that's a problem? Well, I discussed it in my prior post.

I've also provided you with accurate information regarding how Support staff aren't usually reading all these threads.

Now, about that "Ambassador" badge I have at the time of typing this. I expect that to be gone on the next couple of days. As I also stated in my prior post I have resigned that position, and I'm sure Staff will get right on removing my position as soon as the office opens. In short, as a former volunteer Mod/Ambassador, by opinions and words are my own and should not reflect on the company. This is me heading out the door so I shan't bug you again.

Except to say download MediaInfo and provide a tree report of your media.

See, if the software was working correctly until it just stopped one day, well if the same software had been installed the last time it worked - ie you didn't upgrade Hitfilm immediately before the problem started - it implies something else changes on your system. For example the support sticky I referred you to asked about Anti-virus software. Why? Because certain anti virus software doesn't play nice with Hitfilm. Some anti virus software checks files every time they are accessed. You can imagine how that can mess up Hitfilm performance. You haven't given information about your computer's storage drives. If you're running HDD then the proxy/Timeline Cache systems - which are constantly writing files in the background - need to be disabled as those require an SSD to work. Film Sensei already brought up how audio hardware and virtual audio routing can cause issues with Hitfilm. How about checking your file folders in the File>Options menu? Maybe clearing your cache will help. Maybe you need to move this those folders. By default they are on your C:. If you have a small C: you could be filling up the drive - and a full OS drive causes problems. Have you added any hardware peripherals? I had an Epson printer once that installed all this crap running in the background of my system that slowed things down. Some stupid program that was motoring ink status was eating up more than 10% of my CPU cycles.

There's a whole lot of things which could be causing issues outside of Hitfilm. Or, yeah, could be a Hitfilm bug. Since users have no access to the debug tools we can but guess.

Sure, you think I'm being rude, but in the last two messages I've tossed you more variables to look at than Triforce, Stargazer and FilmSensei - and they're all great people. Re-read my last two posts and check the suggested possibilities. If nothing else you'll have eliminated possibilities for Support.

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 264 Enthusiast
    edited September 23

Triem wrote:

Now. I'm off to resign as Ambassador. After 8 years of spending untold hours of time assisting users with unofficial tech support, software/VFX techniques, filmmaking hints and general advice, you're the one that "broke" me. After @spyresca I've been mulling it over for awhile. Just a year ago I would have said the FXhome forum was the best on the internet. It's not anymore.

Spyresca, you win. Come complain all you want. No one else will call you out, and I'm utterly done.

@Triem23 Your actions, your decisions.

Sometimes, what you do matters and has, you know... consequences.

And frankly, you're sometimes very impatient/rude to people, like myself and others (see this thread), with a temperament that sometimes seems at odds with being an effective mod. It's pretty apropos that you've removed yourself (or perhaps... were removed? Hm.) If that truly was your decision, kudos! You did the right thing.

And even if you're not a mod/ambassador, you can still "spend untold hours of time assisting users with unofficial tech support, software/VFX techniques, filmmaking hints and general advice."

So... why all the drama? If you need to "call me out", you can still do so. Your status ("Ambassador" or not) does not preclude that.

And to be clear, I didn't "win" anything, but simply responded to other users who noticed that you (in quite an unprofessional manner, I'll opine) "shadow-banned" me, with no real warning of such action. Once again, temperament issues.

Which, fortunately, calmer heads (actual FXHome staff) reversed, resulting in non FXhome/Artlist staff mods no longer being able to shadow-ban.