Lags and Crashes

J_Edit_365
J_Edit_365 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Hitfilm Express has recently been very annoying and keeps crashing or is slow and lags. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Here are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz  2.59 GHz

16.0 GB

Windows 10 Pro

Nvidia Quadro-P2000

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,492 Ambassador

Which type of Nvidia drivers do you have, it might sound silly but Hitfilm might not know this professional card if it's using some non-standard driver set.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,796 Ambassador

I would tend to agree with Andy that your drivers could be out of date. Follow the steps here - https://fxhome.com/faq/how-do-i-update-graphics-drivers. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the Nvidia link.

You might be more specific about what you mean by "slow or lags". And what format your video footage is in. If it is Variable Frame Rate that can slow things down. Transcoding to Constant Frame Rate will improve the situation. Handbrake is a good utility to have for this- https://handbrake.fr/

And here's a tutorial on how to use it:

Also, I would recommend taking a look at Triem23's tutorial - Essential Hitfilm 07 - How to Optimize/Troubleshoot Video. A lot of good info on preparing your video to edit in HF. Jump to 23:40 for the discussion on Handbrake, but I would recommend watching the whole thing.

• J_Edit_365
    J_Edit_365 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    @Andy001z am not sure but the driver version is 30.0.15.1272 I'm not tech savvy unfortunately
    @Stargazer54 The driver is up to date as advised by Hitfilm before.

So basically it happens now and then and started since I got the content creator adaption, at first I thought because the files were too big to edit hence the lag but when I edited a 20min video with some features it started to freeze a lot. I have to wait on average 30-60+ secs for it to recover. I now save all the time as sometimes the freeze just won't recover. It's just quite frustrating when you try to edit and then it freezes every 5mins or so.

Thanks for the information tho @Stargazer54 I will look into it and see if it can help

Cheers guys