It is possible to using proxies created outside of Hit Film Pro ?

Mafox
Mafox Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Hi, is it possible to use your own proxy files in a HitFilm Pro project as it is in Davinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere? I have the ability to automatically create a proxy before editing and launching Hit Film Pro. I would like to edit so that I can work on proxy files in lower resolution, e.g. 720p and easily replace these files after editing with originals, e.g. in 4K.

Marcin

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,298 Expert

Changing or relinking files is simple enough in Hitfilm but Hitfilm does not have resolution independent timelines so that issue still exists. By that I mean a low rez proxy does not automatically fill a higher rez timeline. Proxy in Hitfilm is using their internal proxy feature, or not at all, or a bunch of tedious scale changes per clip/layer..

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,188 Power User

@NormanPCN fortunately, with CTRL+Click to select multiple clips and a keyboard shortcut for Scale to Fit Frame (Height), the tedious rescale isn't TOO tedious. Could be worse. Still not optimal, and I'm mulling over how to write the feature request.

@Mafox to elaborate on what Norman wrote.

As Norman wrote, it's easy to swap out media files in Hitfilm - right click "Relink" on a clip in the Media Bin - this is intended to fix issues caused by moving a media file between editing sessions - and you can select a totally different media file instead. So you can load a 720p proxy, edit, then "Relink" and select the 4k version and it will swap out in the Timeline.

The issue here is (as Norman noted) that Hitfilm conforms clips at the time they are added to the Timeline and swapping a 720p clip with a 4k clip means the 4k clip comes in huge compared to the proxy. Hitfilm won't rescale the relinked media (because, again, the Relink function is to tell Hitfilm where "missing media" is and using Relink to "swap" a media file is a hack.

So - if you used a 720p proxy you'd want to edit in a 4k Timeline and you'd need to scale your proxies to fit the 4k. Once you Relink the high res version you'll have to scale down again. On the other hand, at least your edits and effects will stay.

In Hitfilm you can CTRL+CLICK to select multiple clips on a Timeline or click+drag to draw a selection box around multiple clips. There's keyboard shortcuts to scale clips to Timeline height or width (height is the correct choice for this use case). I'm not on my computer at the moment, so I'd recommend going to the File Menu at the top left of the interface, select "Options," then check the tab for keyboard shortcuts to find out what they are.

Scaling the proxies up is the tedious bit, since that basically has to be done as you add clips to the Timeline (but you have the keyboard shortcut, which only got added last year, so that helps). Scaling the full res media back down will be faster since you can select everything and resize with one button.

As stated above, I'm going to write up a feature request for the devs on improved handing of external proxies. Once I refine that I'll let you know so you can up vote it. 👍

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,298 Expert

As Norman wrote, it's easy to swap out media files in Hitfilm - right click "Relink" on a clip in the Media Bin

Easy but tedious if you have a lot of media files.

An easier way to exchange between proxy media and original media is to have two folders with your media. One proxy and the other original. The files in each have the exact same file names. Since they are in different folders no conflict. Then to swap files you just rename the folders (e.g. swap the folder names). Hitfilm now sees the 'other' files. Simple, but again, Hitfilm does not have a mechanism where source media is auto conformed to the timeline. I've once done such a proxy swap like this in Vegas.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN duh! I've done the folder swap myself and shouldn't have forgotten the trick.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,796 Ambassador
  • Mafox
    Mafox Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Such a relink is a bit pointless if you have to select e media bin in turn and relink. This may work for a few clips, not if there are "millions" of them

• Triem23

@Mafox see Norman's comment about doing duplicate folders and swapping the folder names, quoted here.