Will perpetual licenses stay?

eddiestechcouk
eddiestechcouk Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*

Hi

Really not a fan of this new subscription lark. Very disappointed with the Artlist merger, but as I expected to be honest. Was very happy recommending my favourite, proudly British software, but this has really put me off.

I'm not currently in a position to purchase a perpetual license of Hitfilm, but may be in the future. Will the perpetual licenses being staying around or are they going to disappear some day?

Thanks, Eddie

Answers

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,377 Expert

Nobody knows what the future brings.

I mean nobody is going to say, okay for X years we are sticking to ABC. Then after time X, will we revisit/reevaluate the license terms offered.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,643 Moderator

I reckon the perpetual licenses will be around for the foreseeable future. Forever? Well, it’s unlikely that HitFilm itself will be around “forever”.

However, If you do purchase a perpetual license, that version +12 months of updates is yours to use FOREVER (or as long as you have a computer that supports it… whichever comes first).

Out of curiosity, what do you dislike so much about the merger? The subscription is simply a new option in conjunction with the perpetual licesnses

• eddiestechcouk
    eddiestechcouk Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2

Out of curiosity, what do you dislike so much about the merger? The subscription is simply a new option in conjunction with the perpetual licesnses

I liked the original FXhome model - you get very good, generous free software but have to pay for "add-ons" for more advanced stuff, and if you want all the advanced stuff you pay for the full version. Simple. You get a perpetual license for the software you register (e.g. Express, add-ons or pro) and you "pay what you want". Now you are limited - you are given a choice, an Adobe-style subscription or a perpetual license for the full software - no in-between. It seemed as though FXhome were going against the flow by offering licensing in the "pay what you want" model, but now they seem to have submitted themselves to one of the companies using the models they seemed to fight against. And, yes, I understand the merger and change in model is to grow and convert that 90% of users that are free users, but it wasn't like FXhome Ltd. (or should I say now Artlist UK Ltd.) were in financial arrears, as evident by their accounts on Companies House. I loved to support and recommend software from a British company that shared the same goals in right-to-own software licensing as myself (as in I pay for the software I own and a certain level of updates and then have to pay again for maintained software), with affordable upgrades for some things you might need (not full software), but it's all in the tank now. And if people are going to pay a subscription, HitFilm isn't the best software - Adobe's software is evidently better, but I set out to use HitFilm due to their licensing.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,643 Moderator

@eddiestechcouk Very valid points. I agree with you that there doesn’t appear to be a proper replacement for the Add-on system. The addons might have been a case of “too good to be true” and if you look at it, they might not have been sustainable long term. But hopefully they can come up with a solution that is good for both them and consumers… and hopefully something that stays perpetual.

I do think that the Free plan remains a good option for new users… much like base Express was.

I also think the Pro subscription is a good alternative for users that updated Pro yearly or every other year anyways.

• ximhm
    ximhm Posts: 9 Just Starting Out
    其实合并模型真的叫人无法接受,我不明白你们的主要软件卖的是什么,次要的卖什么
  • Stu
    Stu Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi. So is there no "free" version on hitfilm anymore that doesnt produce a waterwark on export?

• NormanPCN
    edited November 21

@Stu A bit off topic regarding perpetual licenses but, The Free Hitfilm only adds watermark if you export above 1920x1080/1080x1920 resolution, or use an effect only available in a paid license.

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 281 Enthusiast

I t hink the perpetual license will remain, but Artlist/Hitfilm will continue to ensurethat said license is not a great value, in order to drive people to the more lucrative Subscription model.

• NormanPCN

The perpetual license is the same price it always has been. By that logic Hitfilm has never been a value.

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 281 Enthusiast
    edited November 24

It was an "ok" value before the recent changes. These, days, that's changed. HF was always a better value for the compositor than for the humdrum/borderline poor editing functionality. And if one wanted a good part of those compositing features, without a need to buy into HF Pro, there was Ignite, which is no longer available. Or the ability to buy add-on's for the free "express version", also no longer available.

It's not just price, but lack of substantive updates/bug fixes/new features, etc. With each day, HF seems to be less competitive in its market. And no, "now bundled with Artlist stuff you never wanted before" isn't a great value driver for some.

And those users who did shell out good money for "Express" add-ons? They're now forced to always use an old, deprecated (likely never to be updated) version of express or pay up for a pro (or perpetual) license or subscription they never wanted. It's about the trust lost by Artlist/Hitfilm in the merger and the reticence (earned I'd say) of those not eager to throw more money at them.

• DanBor
    DanBor Posts: 3 Just Starting Out
    I also believe that getting rid of the customizability via addons, that FX have thrown his big unique selling point away with this step.

Still believing that it is a great program on one hand and on the other the current frustration that I would need one additional effect that I not had the opportunity to buy, belong to the other addons I already own.
    I'm curious if there will be at least a discount for the perpetual pro licence for those like me that already bought some addons before?