The BBC News ident, but with limitations

GabrielTudor
GabrielTudor Posts: 85 Enthusiast
edited August 1 in Show off

Hi, there!

I tried to recreate the BBC News ident, but Hitfilm's „Sphere” effect is generating a black background and the only way I can get rid of it is with the Demult effect. However, as you can see in the video, the solid red bars become light red because of that... 😕

Is there anyone here who knows what's the deal with the black empty space in the Sphere effect? I mean if you have a PNG image with the world map and you „sphere” it, apart from the continents, everything else becomes black, although the other part of the picture is transparent.

This is my first attempt to do this, so don't laugh! 😋

It would be great if FX Home guys (@JavertValbarr @TomCowles) would do an advanced tutorial of something like this, as I believe it would be of great help for many who want to do complex visuals involving moving points, spheres etc.

Gabriel

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,688 Ambassador

I'll have to take a look at this myself. It won't be today, because tonight is a special date night with the wife.

Ok. So... Which version/tier of Hitfilm are you running? With Pro or a legacy Express with 3D models you have an alternate possible workflow with 3D models and material override. @FilmSensei did a tutorial on this, but, Jay, I'm having trouble finding that.

Otherwise - and this is what I need to check - I think the Sphere effect should be properly parsing transparent pixels in your Sphere texture. Unless there's a change in recent implementations of the filter.

What you've got so far is looking really solid. FWIW the lighter bars on the crossing actually looks sweet and gives a bit of extra depth to the animation, even if it's not exactly what you want. The final version is gonna be amazing.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

Looking really good, what is the Blend mode on the layers?

Also maybe nest the Demult effect in a nested comp so it is pre black removed before being worked on in your main comp.

good luck,

• GabrielTudor

Thanks, @Triem23!

I have the (Perpetual) Hitfilm Pro version. I did not want to use 3D stuff, as it's not needed to recreate something simple as an „empty” sphere with some red bars.

Normally, if you have a transparent PNG with some texture/model on it, when you apply the Sphere effect, it should display only the texture/model and leave the transparent part as it is (transparent). However, I get black instead of transparency. I know for sure that After Effects does not do this, so it must be either a bug or maybe I have to twick some setting for the transparency to be kept? I'm not sure...

I agree that the lighter shade of red is somewhat more appealing to the eye (as I personally love pastel colors), but the goal was to redo the BBC ident as it is. And I'm quite far from that (yet).

I have attached the project file. If you have the time, take a look and see exactly how I managed to get to the actual clip. I'm open for improvement suggestions.

• GabrielTudor

Hey, @Andy001z!

The Blend mode is Normal for all layers except the spider web (the animated points with „Text 1, Text 2, Text 3” strings) which is set to Difference.

I have uploaded the project file above. See if you find something that could be done easier or more efficient/good looking.

Thanks,

Gabriel

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,199 Enthusiast
    edited August 2

The remove stock background effect with a negative bias will/should remove the transparency that the demult effect is creating.

With no transparency on the bands it sure does show that the Sphere effect is in need of anti-aliasing. Something I've pointed out long ago regarding the Sphere effect. The Hitfilm AA feature/setting has no effect. That AA operates on GL geometry. 3D models and layer/clip text. Sphere is a pure 2D pixel effect and thus would need to do it's own AA. Much like, just like, Quad Warp does its own AA. With some transparency the edges should be fine (not -100% bias).

• Andy001z

Hi, Norman is spot on, I had a play with your project file (big thank you for that). If you change to the Remove Background and then change the Balance Control to a negative number you get something like below. I should have read Normans comment before playing but worked out what he said by removing the White plane and noticing how it was back to is natural red, but also when the Demult was removed.

Hope that solves it.

• Andy001z

PS: If you want to give it that red punch that the BBC has, add a grade and a SUPER GLOW effect.

• NormanPCN
    edited August 2

I would agree that the Sphere effect should not be creating a solid color in the result where transparency exists.

The transparency of the source is being respected in some ways since we see the back side of the sphere. The source wrapped around.

• Andy001z
    edited August 2

Wow that looks really great. You use of the lightening effect to get the lines on the text was mind blowing. You certainly opened my eyes to a couple of new tricks.

Punctele cu orașe comp is a thing of beauty.

Tag @OliThompson one for the #Showoff

• GabrielTudor

I'm glad you like it! 😊 Yes, animating points (and linking) them is a whole world in itself. 😉

• Triem23

Hey, glad you all figured it out before I had a chance to look at it. If you don't mind I'm going to grab the project file, too, for fun.

And, yeah, the final version looks great!

• NormanPCN
    edited August 2

Oh, you know I grabbed that project file. Not to be helpful, but just to learn something. Glad I could contribute something.

In the OP is saw the reference to Demult. My thought was, hmm, Demult...not a fan. Maybe stock background.

I really wonder if Stock Background should not be an upgrade effect.

• Andy001z

I had a play with you project earlier, after checking out the current BBC new ident and noticed that the circle lines are in fact slightly covered in tiny lines, I played with a few options but could not get the look nailed. I also noticed you had a couple of camera in your project, you should be able to create the push in to the logo look pretty nicely.

When you look closely at the ident there is a lot going on.

• GabrielTudor

Yes, @Andy001z, the „sphered” red lines have tiny lines in them in the original ident because they are actually matted (there is a Set Matte there, so the lines are revealing a custom red background underneath them). I didn't bother recreating that as well, as it would have took me a while. All I wanted with this lil' project was to practice with the Sphere effect and with animating and linking points (never done it before). Therefore, I am quite happy with what I've accomplished. 😋

• Andy001z
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,114 Expert

Thanks for tagging me @Triem23.

@GabrielTudor It sounds like the Remove Stock Background effect worked for you. Awesome... that's what it's supposed to do!

For those who don't have either the Creator or Pro license and are only using HitFilm Free, the Luminance Key should do the trick most of the time. It would work here because the color RED is dark enough. If you are using a lighter color, say Yellow, then you may have to create a working alpha matte in it's own Comp and then use that. You wouldn't even need the Sphere Effect in the Main Comp.

Nice work creating this Gabriel... very impressive!

• GabrielTudor

Thank you, @FilmSensei! I'm currently trying to recreate the old BBC countdown. This would be the first time I use the „Tile” effect, plus others. 😁

• NormanPCN

@FilmSensei

Nice tip on using the key effect. Even Hue & RGB key can work in RGB mode. The key effects have sharp edges like stock background at -100%, so I see the Sphere effect jaggies. Needs AA.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN or a 0.5 pixel blur?

• NormanPCN
    edited August 3

@Triem23 Does not help. Even 1.0.

I think the key function might be creating the AA stair steps in the process of creating transparency. When I play with some params in the key I can see the steps come and go. In RGB Key there is an edge softness property one can use. Matte Cleaner could help but I have never been a fan. Not that I have ever used Matte Cleaner as it is 'supposed' to be used, so to speak. I tried using it to try and clean up the AA of Quad Warp edges, and it fails at that miserably. But then FxHome added AA to Quad Warp so no need.

In normal(?) use of Sphere the AA is of course only on the sphere edges. Not quite so bad, but it is there. Here it shows more due to the bands and transparency.

Also, the final, takes the source comp and enlarges/scales it up, thus exaggerating the AA if present. If the source comp were bigger, or too big, then used at 100% or scaled down then the AA would/should diminish. Then since we are talking transparent edges that also changes any AA discussion. Different AA algorithm needed for transparent edges vs normal edges. In something like Hitfilm Free that may cause a watermark situation.