I just updated and regret it

Dan1508
Dan1508 Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

I have been using Hitfilm for a LONG time and loved it as a fast and easy way to edit clips. I updated it to the newest version with the new UI and major changes, and I hate it. I paid for a few effects and the "starter pack," and with the new update, I lost complete access to those effects and features. Not to mention all my presets that I spent so many years perfecting and making are all GONE.

I am devastated; if a developer or anyone in power is reading this, please help.

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@Dan1508

HitFilm Express has been discontinued, but you can download the final version here, which will continue to activate with your addons. You can use it for as long as you have a computer that supports it.

https://legacy.fxhome.com/software-install/hitfilm-express

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

You can run both HitFilm express and HitFilm subscription build on the same computer, so you can carry on with your existing stuff and use the new one to play around in and see if you like it enough to upgrade.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,185 Enthusiast

I still struggle with the thought of how many users are still saying but you can run both. Users shouldn't have to do that. When you do this, memory and time get wasted on your computer. I still feel for the users that invested in FX home products and see their purchases go down the drain. That's a crappy move on the company. The thing about Davinci Resolve.....they were very smart to not have a pay what you want program. This situation would have never happened. I feel for you @Dan1508

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert
    edited July 30

@Andersen01498 '...When you do this, memory and time get wasted on your computer.' This is a fallacy.

I can speak from personal experience here that in the years of Hitfilm 3 to 6 (and even had some of these going when it changed over to new installation structure) when we were last able to have multiple installations I have had 2 separate Pro versions and an Express for troubleshooting purpose here in the Forum and saw absolutely zero detriment to my system. I even had multiple releases of Blender versions installed at the same time as this, and those could be run at the same time whereas Hitfilm only allows one running version at a time.

Oh, my system is no beast by any means: AMD FX 8350 with NVidia 1060 (at that time) with 32 GB RAM

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,201 Enthusiast

@Andersen01498

The thing about Davinci Resolve.....they were very smart to not have a pay what you want program.

So you think Blackmagic is making money, or breaking even, and not losing money on Resolve? Even a licensed version.

Also, Blackmagic does not support their free users. User forums are a free users only support option. FxHome has accepted support requests from their free users. That is a cost with no financials to offset or even break even.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,689 Ambassador
    edited July 30

@NormanPCN unfortunately, we can point out all day, every day, that FXhome lost money on free Express due to costs like providing Support, lost money on certain add ons due to FXhome eating update costs on third party tech. We can note that Blackmagic is a multi billion dollar company with 1500 employees devoted to building hardware which spent a lot of money buying mature companies (Da Vinci and Fusion were about 25 years old when Blackmagic bought them, Fairlight, and Ultimatte 35ish years) as loss leaders for the hardware. We could point out that Blackmagic's 2020-21 revenue ALONE is probably greater than FXhome's entire sales volume ever. Blackmagic did about $576 million in revenue in 2020-21. If all 7 million FXhome users spent $82 each, that would equal the one year of Blackmagic revenue - but we know over 90% of FXhome users are on Express and own no add ons, so, yeah, Blackmagic made more revenue in 2020-21 than FXhome had in its lifetime. We can even note that every software company ever ends support on version X with the release of version X+1 (except Blackmagic, which eats a loss on the software because the hardware is profitable enough for Blackmagic to have well over $100 million in profit for 2020-21). We can even point out an FXhome condition of the buyout was keeping a free tier.

They won't care. That's all "an excuse," for FXhome to "betray" their users. 🤷 "But my $10!"

"Oh, I don't want to go subscription, but the perpetual tier - which is the same price is was before - is waaaay too expensive compared to the subscription I don't want!"

Doesn't help that the soft rollout was a bit of a mess.

Source article for my Blackmagic assertions.

• Dan1508
    Dan1508 Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

Thanks, I did not realize that it was the final version because when I open the program, it tells me that there's an update and I have no option that says, "never check again" or something of the sort. I have to always click not now

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

There should be an option to “remind me in a week” which isn’t perfect, but should help at least a bit.

Unfortunately, since it doesn’t look like this was an option natively in Express, this is something that the company would have to change on the server side.

@KirstieT Would it be possible to eliminate the update prompt from showing up in Express and instead just advertise Free through the homepage banner? (This should be possible through a few changes on the server that Express goes to when it asks if there’s an update.)

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,185 Enthusiast
    edited July 30

I have so many heavy programs on my computer. Constantly shuffling things around to make space. I have 32 gb of ram rtx 2070. When it comes to support these days user forums are very helpful and now we have sites like YouTube to help out. Also you would have to do a lot of re rendering of you want to work between the two versions. Not very efficient.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,284 Staff

@triforcefx This is an issue we're working on resolving right now, as we know it's confusing to the users!

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,284 Staff

We have now removed this banner from the software, because of customer feedback that it was confusing. The banner you see instead should be much more clear. Thanks for pointing this out @Dan1508 - it's feedback like this that helps us improve!