HitFilm 3 Pro - Mac Problems

NovianLeVanNovianLeVan Website User Posts: 49
edited November 2014 in HitFilm

Started a thread similar to this when HitFilm 2 Ultimate launched for Mac, looks like I'm doing it again, haha. 

Computer: iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Processor: 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

1. Crash on Export: I (as well as many others) had this problem back in HF2U for quite a while, and now it’s happening again in HitFilm 3 Pro. Most of the time when I try to export something, the export progress window comes up, freezes, then HitFilm crashes. It seems like some videos will export just fine while others will not, and all of the videos I’m using have the same properties - 1920 x 1080, .mov, H.264, 23.976, straight from a Nikon D5300. Now I know H.264 isn’t the ideal editing format, but that shouldn’t cause HitFilm to crash. Other times when I’m about to export, a window comes up saying, "Could not initialize the export renderer. An OpenGL rendering context is not set for this thread." This goes away by switching between the Home, Project, Edit, and Export tabs, though.

With HF2, I tried lots of different things to solve the export crashing problem. I even put a support ticket in which didn't help much. The only way I found to fix it was either creating a new user account and running HitFilm from there, or backing up my files, completely reformatting my hard drive, and reinstalling my OS and all of my applications and files (don’t wanna do that again).

Another thing I’m having problems with is image sequences. No matter what, exporting an image sequence always causes HitFilm to crash. It’s even happening in HF2.

2. Weird Frame Rate: So I set up my starting project template with the proper settings according to my videos, but when I import them and put them onto the timeline, it asks me if I want to change the Editor Sequence’s settings to match the clip. Kinda weird considering I selected the proper template settings for my video, but I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. However, after looking closer, I noticed that instead of my video files being 23.976, HitFilm shows them as 23.665 (does this even exist?!). Back in HF2, it would also ask me to change the Editor Sequence’s settings, but I never noticed the files changing to 23.665. This is really weird…

3. SynthEyes + HitFilm: I’ve brought this up before and I’ve seen it in different threads (http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/280/hitfilm-syntheyes), but I could never solve this problem. Getting SynthEyes 3D tracking data to work in HitFilm is a nightmare. It seems like the proper export option is the .ma After Effects CS3 format (not the Maya .ma one), but even this doesn’t work well. When I play back the tracked footage, the coordinate plane is not synced with the video, so any 3D objects put into the scene don’t stay in place on the footage. And I know it’s not a mess up in my tracking and solving. I even exported the data to Blender and it seems to work 100% with no problems, but HitFilm is different story. I’m wondering if it has to do something with the frame rate issue I mentioned above.

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,458 Staff

BlindFireStudios 

Sorry you are having trouble with the software, I will respond to each point raised below.

1. I have seen the OpenGL error reported by a few users, sadly we have not been able to reproduce the issue in house. It certainly seems like a software conflict of some kind as the software works on a clean account. Do you have any other GPU accelerated software running whilst running HitFilm? We have the same iMac here (2 actually) & neither of them exhibit the issue despite being used daily.  The issue has been raised for the developers to look at but without a reproducible path, as you can imagine it's hard to apply a fix / solution, but we will keep looking.

2. Could you upload a sample of the footage somewhere for us to take a look if you don't mind? It doesn't have to be the full file but just enough for us to run some tests & see what's going on?

3. Again I'm probably going to need a project form yourself if that's possible showing the issue. The thread you have linked to is quite old & seemed to be that people had discovered that the AE CS3 export works fine, but they did discover that they needed to check when exporting from SynthEyes is the starting frame number. I'm very happy to look at any issues you have here & hopefully get things working for you.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
    Ady

• NovianLeVanNovianLeVan Website User Posts: 49
    edited December 2014

Thanks for the reply @Ady!

1.  I have no other GPU accelerated software running when HitFilm brings up the OpenGL error. However, I do have CUDA drivers installed, but I doubt they're affecting HitFilm.

2. I've uploaded two sample videos to Dropbox (probably gonna delete them in about a month): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4rv6znrko3x5yde/AABqjlMptI9z9uVFlLdnaReBa?dl=0. Just noticed that frame rates fluctuate with every video, so it's not always 23.665.

3. I think I solved this one, but I'm not totally sure. It seems like the problem is maybe me not setting up the coordinate system 100% properly, and also using video instead of image sequences for tracking (frame rate difference I described above). I still don't quite understand why Blender handles tracking data better than HitFilm, or maybe it's just a difference in scripts.

BlindFireStudios 

No worries!

1. I haven't tried installing the Cuda drivers here, it may not be the problem but I can certainly try it on the Mac's we have here & see if that replicates the issue. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

2. Thanks very much for the footage, I've downloaded them just now so feel free to delete them to save spaces on your Dropbox. Again I'll take a look at these & see if there's something here we need to look at.

3. Glad you managed to find a solution! 

I'll get back to you ASAP with any findings!

edited December 2014

BlindFireStudios  - Just a quick update for you, sorry for the delay!

1. As we both suspected thje Cuda drivers are not the issue as even with them installed the iMac's we have here did not exhibit the problem. I haven't given up on this issue, just need to find a way to reproduce the issue so it can be debugged.

2. Sadly, again I don't see any issues with the footage you have uploaded, the frame rate is correct (23.976) in both HF2 & HF3. Do the files you uploaded show the framerate error for you?

Ady

edited December 2014

@Ady Sorry for the late response, lol.

1. Thanks for giving the CUDA drivers a test. Interesting that you guys haven't been able to reproduce the problem. I'd like to add that it took a while, maybe a few months for me to start getting the issue again after I fixed it the first time by reformatting my drive. Also, not totally sure about this, but I think it happens when having a lot of files and other applications installed. Maybe the issue could be reproduced by intstalling lots of software and files onto the HD, but just a wild guess.

2. Weird, I tried this on a different iMac and still had the same problem I described. I took the files straight from Dropbox and dropped them into the media panel, and this is what I see:

3. Unfortunately, I didn't solve this problem. I thought I had, but the coordinate plane is still slipping in some cases as well as 3D models. I'll upload the HF project in the same Dropbox folder as before.

edited December 2014

UPDATE: Just went through the whole tracking process from shooting a quick video to tracking it and importing it into HitFilm. Oddly enough, this track turned out almost perfectly (very minor slipping). I'm just not sure what it is. I follow the same if not similar tracking process for every track, and some come out fine while others come out terribly. I guess all tracks give different results  and I'm sure I could use mocha for most tracks I perform. Either way, if you would like to check it out, I've uploaded an image sequence, HF project, SynthEyes project, tracking data, 3D model, etc. into the Dropbox folder. For now though, I'm alright on this issue.

Speaking of image sequences, I still can't export a video as an image sequence in both HF2 and HF3 without crashing. I've been doing it through Motion 5 which has worked out wonderfully, but I'm not sure why HitFilm won't do it.

edited December 2014

BlindFireStudios 

Nothing to be sorry for!

1. No worries, it was worth a shot, as once we can reproduce it, we can fix it. We do have a test Mac here with quite a lot of software installed on it running 10.10.1 but it doesn't exhibit the problem. You say that the problem came back, are you able to pinpoint when the problem came back? Do you remember making any changes to the system or installing something new?

2. Thanks for the updated information, I've managed to replicate the problem here, when I tested it before I was running Mavericks on a dual partitioned drive which worked absolutely fine. I didn't expect it to be OS specific but it sadly is, the problem only exists on Yosemite (10.10). I have now logged the issue for the developers to look at. It's probably too late for the update scheduled (hopefully) for this week, but you shouldn't have to wait too long for the fix. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

3. No problem, I'll download the files for a look.

Could you upload the Error Report from one of the image sequence errors? It might give us some useful information as to why it's falling over?

Sorry again, I'll keep you informed if I manage to find anything else out for you.

Ady

edited December 2014

@Ady

1. The latest date on the support ticket I sent in is June 24, and some of the creation dates for applications say August 12. So I'm guessing that I reformatted my drive somewhere in between those two dates.  After reformatting, I'd say I started experiencing the problem again around the beginning of September or October. I don't remember installing anything new or making system changes at that time. As of late, I haven't experienced the export crash though, just the OpenGL error.

2. Hmm, would have never guessed it was OS specific. Thanks for the update!

I've uploaded the crash report to the Dropbox folder, hope it helps!

edited December 2014

@Ady

Interesting update: So I tested exporting one of the Dropbox videos as an image sequence on a different iMac (mid 2014, Yosemite) with a faily new user account and only a few applications, and HitFilm crashed. Then, I created another user account and exported an image sequence without crashing, but I did experience the OpenGL error on my first export attempt. At this point, I'm not sure what to think about the OpenGL error since it occured on a completely new user account and computer. For the image sequence crash, I thought that it might be a specific application or system preference affecting HF, but I set up and opened all of the same programs and system preferences one by one that I had on the other user account, and none of them made it crash.

• aledigealedige Website User Posts: 9

Hi

I'm having exactly the same exporting problem on a i5 IMac. Switching to a new account solves the problem. I'm a bit reluctant in reformatting/reinstalling. I've opened a support ticket, sent the crash reports but did not help....

• KBTfilmsKBTfilms Website User Posts: 7

Im running H3P  on my mid 2015 15.4 inch MCP (2.5ghz version) and it constantly freezes when I do the simplest things such as change workspace or click on the editor timeline or something else. It playsback footage nicely but for some reason it freezes and I have to force quit frequently. Anyone experiencing this?

KBTfilms - Sorry you are having trouble with the software, this thread is from November 2014 though.

If you are having trouble with the software, please contact support here

Thanks,
    Ady

This discussion has been closed.