Who is switching over to DaVinci Resolve?

Andersen01498
Andersen01498 Posts: 1,186 Enthusiast
edited July 21 in General

Just out of curiosity I want to see how many people are switching over to resolve. I am keeping HF for the compositing side but switching to resolve for the editing side.

Who is switching over to DaVinci Resolve? 28 votes

Yes switching over to DaVinci Resolve
32% 9 votes
No staying with Hitfilm
35% 10 votes
Yes switching to DaVinci but still using Hitfilm
32% 9 votes

Comments

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 427 Enthusiast

I got a feeling most people only use HF for It's compositing. No surprise there.

• Andersen01498

Yep I agree. Editing i just can't anymore. Organization is not doable. Seriously can't import my own folders

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,578 Moderator

I may be in the minority, but HitFilm takes care of all my needs in the editing department… and it has for years. Do other editors have better editing features? Sure. But for the stuff I do, it’s not worth the hassle since HitFilm would be my compositor regardless.

• OliThompson
    OliThompson Staff Posts: 168 Staff

It's really interesting to see the feedback here - thanks guys!

@Andersen01498, it would be great to hear what editing functionality you're missing from HitFilm (Free) when compared to HitFilm Express - it's my job to feed this info back to the team, so please do let me know 💪 We'd also love to hear the editing features and functionality you'd be interested in moving to Davinci for! 😊 If you have feature requests, please do post them in Feature Requests forum (and, very importantly, upvote what you want to see) - this is reviewed to ensure the development team knows what they need to focus on!

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,504 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 I think you should edit you poll and put a fourth one.

• I'll use which ever tool gets the job done that I need at that point in time.
  • Andersen01498

Nice to hear from you @OliThompson ! Multiple users have put their feedback in the feature requests, including myself. Unfortunately nothing has changed. It took forever to get locked layers, proxies and grade layers. DaVinci has 4k export, markers, snapping and much more. I am a pro user but its hard to justify the pro tier to users when those quality of life features are still not there. It also looks like people can't import there 4k footage and export it in the free tier when you could in HF express. That was a very unnecessary change. To me that looks like you want users to force users into higher tiers. As a user that uses multiple software, I am very picky. These days I'm about speed. If the features aren't there I move on

• Andersen01498

I do tend to do that. But when you are a content creator you want to find a tool that meets your needs

• pbattersby
    pbattersby Posts: 53 Enthusiast

I came here from using Shotcut. It served me well for a while but I needed more advanced features that it was lacking but that are present in HitFilm Express and HitFilm Free. Davinci isn't an option for me. It doesn't even run on my system. When HitFilm stops working on my computer, I'll probably need to return to Shotcut.

• Andersen01498

I have heard of Shotcut. I know what you mean. Unfortunately, Davinci is a lot heavier but has many features that HF doesn't currently have.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,217 Expert
    edited July 22

@Andersen01498

Nice to hear from you @OliThompson ! Multiple users have put their feedback in the feature requests, including myself. Unfortunately nothing has changed. It took forever to get locked layers, proxies and grade layers. DaVinci has 4k export, markers, snapping and much more. I am a pro user but its hard to justify the pro tier to users when those quality of life features are still not there. It also looks like people can't import there 4k footage and export it in the free tier when you could in HF express. That was a very unnecessary change. To me that looks like you want users to force users into higher tiers. As a user that uses multiple software, I am very picky. These days I'm about speed. If the features aren't there I move on

This is all quite interesting. Asked a specific question, and the result is mixed with a bunch of general negative Nancy speak. Okay, that's a narrative.

DaVinci has 4k export, markers, snapping and much more. I am a pro user but its hard to justify the pro tier to users when those quality of life features are still not there.

Perfect. Some specifics.

Okay, you want 4K export and you want it for free.

Hitfilm does snap, but some things don't snap. What is it that you reference? I know I have talked about in/out points not snapping when dragged.

"...and much more". Too vague. Take advantage of the fact you got directly asked by staff. Give items and the workflow they offer as to why they are useful to you. Talk about you, not "users" (aka app feature bullet points).

In a put up or shut up mode, I would talk about things like markers, pan/crop (Ken Burns like), keyframable speed change (retiming), transitions, continuous playback while changing effect params, dropping markers, single playback within in/out, possible audio clicks and pops on cuts, even fades (quick fades), ducking audio, timeline general ingest performance. All in the context of specific projects I did in Vegas. These specific tasks would have been aggravating in Hitfilm. In my view, every frame of every video goes through an editor. How much of that happens in a compositor.

It also looks like people can't import there 4k footage and export it in the free tier when you could in HF express. That was a very unnecessary change. To me that looks like you want users to force users into higher tiers.

Let others speak for themselves, if they so desire. I think it's clear you want 4K for free.

I wonder exactly what you mean by "very necessary change". Also, do you have any business basis to make a claim of unnecessary.

The use of the word force, seems kinda like an attempt to shame in some manner. Yes/No? At least to me.

The very existence of non free versions and that they have features the free does not have, is the very definition that one is being forced (using your word) to select a different license for said features. You can't think it somehow bad that Hitfilm is not entirely free. So what is the intent of saying, force users into higher tiers?

• Andersen01498

It just seems like the intent of cutting 4k off to the free users is a corporate move. From day 1, I had a funny feeling that the pay what you want model wouldn't survive because nobody would want to pay full price.

The thing that brought me to this wonderful HF community was FX home's brilliant idea of combining COMP/Editor together. At the end of the day, it's very useful to have things just there for you. Instead of having to render things out. AE and Premiere have dynamic links. Yes, not a combined system like HF but it's very doable. I used Vegas for a while too. I know what you mean when comparing Vegas to HF @NormanPCN . It was very handy to HF support with Vegas for a while until that was gone.

In regards to snapping, it does not snap. You cant move anchor points around, cant snap to the bounding boxes for text, masks and etc. Other programs have grid snapping. That's what I mean by snapping.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions. I simply chose to move on. I will be returning to HF for editing when the quality-of-life features are here.

All I am asking is that FX home listens to their users better. Please give us updates that people actually want. I never got a real true answer on how the wishlist features were prioritized. I will continue to support FX home when they give the users what they want. I don't have any database or sites to back this up but I feel like at least for the editing side FX home is behind. I am wanting to truly switch to FX home so I can pass files back and forth between my team. But when I found out when FX home discontinued 4k on the free side, it was a hard pass. So that's why I am going to Davinci.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,578 Moderator

@Andersen01498

I believe there’s a few main things they look at when considering new features. In no particular order:

• Feasibility - How much work/money/effort would it take to implement a feature? Is it even possible?
    • User interest - How many people want it?
    • Developer interest - Is it a feature the developers/company want to work on?
    • Usefulness - Is the feature a “must have” or a “nice to have”?
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,504 Ambassador

I'm sure that in a recent corridor digital vid they discussed the merits of exporting at 4k and the conclusion was that for YouTube and social media platforms on general HD was adequate. Pretty sure this is the main target audience for HitFilm.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer AlaskaPosts: 564 Enthusiast

I've been using Resolve for my project editing, But there is no way I'm going to a node editor any time soon, but then again, I do own a copy of Pro, and a fairly well fleshed out copy of Express, Also Ignite Pro (which works with Resolve), I might feel different if I was just getting on board, even if you don't 'NEED' 4k exports, a lot of people consider it a must.

• jtjutsvfx
    jtjutsvfx Posts: 117 Enthusiast
    edited July 25

Definitely staying on HitFilm! This new subscription model is excellent for me and I know I have said this multiple times but the included music (in my opinion)is a really, really good addition.

• Andersen01498

Node editing for vfx work is a different feel. I do some vfx work in nuke. Node is nice because you can quickly find what you are looking for.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,286 Staff

@triforcefx You're totally right about those considerations - those are the main things that we need to balance any time we add a feature

• Andersen01498

Thaks for the clarification @KirstieT

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 261 Enthusiast
    edited July 25

I avoided nodes use for years, but now (with DaVinci and also Blender) I'm seeing that the learning curve is a bit steep, but there are certainly benefits over just continually stacking layers. It's probably a factor as to why top notch, industry standards like Houdini depend on nodes.

• Andersen01498

I have done Houdini too. Never got into Blender. I was always a 3DS MAX and Maya type of person

• maui9
    maui9 Posts: 85 Enthusiast

It makes me sad honestly on where its going. I have been using hitfilm since the original and now it seems I am going to move on. I have been using davnci for grading and now it seems I have to dive a bit more into it. I get why they went the way they went but I guess we that have been here aren't the target audience anymore. Good luck to you all and it was a good run

• Andersen01498

On their Instagram, I brought up as a person that uses 4k when I use Express to edit. I usually export HD however I edit in 4k to give me the flexibility to crop in without losing data.

• AndyQ
    AndyQ Posts: 66 Enthusiast
    edited August 5

I've been using Resolve for quite some time and hadn't gone back to look at Hitfilm until today. I've only just found out that FXHome have moved to a subscription model. I'm very unhappy - the ONLY reason I've been buying Hitfilm for some years now is to support a company offering perpetual licence video editing software., so this is the end for me. Resolve kills Hitfilm in all editing aspects, and the Studio version (which is what you really need) is very inexpensive (and they've not charged for any updates since I got it, with no "maintenance fee" either). I've already got an Adobe Creative Suite subscription for work purposes, and my HitFilm purchase was so I could work on projects feeling "Safe" in the knowledge that I had a perpetual licence. Now that's gone there's no point to it - the Adobe subscription is actually great value (as much as I loathe Adobe!) and Resolve is fantastic (the main downsides are heavy system demands and complexity). I was already a bit miffed when FXHome stopped including the FX plugins with HitFilm Pro (as I used them with other apps) so this is a giant step too far. Not a happy camper, as I've spent a fair bit of money over the years on this software and haven't got much value for it. [note: I started with HitFilm in 2013, despite my "just starting out" forum badge]

• NormanPCN

FxHome still has a perpetual Hitfilm, at the same price and licensing terms as it has for years. Nothing there has changed one bit.

• Dimipapa
    edited August 6

For me a large part is file management. I usually work with a lot of files inside my project as well as frequently dropping more in from windows explorer. If the files are in sequence I usually just dump them in order on the timeline, if they aren't I will put them in a folder and start editing them with a trimmer. Hitfilm while you can create folders its just not easy to use and organize. You cant drag and drop directly onto the timeline from an explorer window, you have to drop them in media first. I really don't like the way the trimmer works. I lament every time I find myself having to use it. You still don't have markers, a quality of life feature that has been highly requested for years. Maybe it's not fair to use vegas as an example since it's timeline features are so good, but I had an easier time using Davinci's timeline, and I also really like camtasia's timeline better than hitfilms and camtasia's doesn't purport to be a professional grade NLE. I have made a few real attempts to acclimate to hitfilms editor side, but each time it just felt clunky and I would always get frustrated trying to organize and access my media. I can totally see people working on simpler projects with fewer files having no problem. But I have problems, it's like I can see a good editor in there somewhere, but it feels like it's a Ferrari with bald tires in the rain.

• NormanPCN

For me a large part is file management. 

The first thing I did was slideshow like thing and it naturally had a lot of media. The song was Gun 'n Roses November Rain, a long 9 minute song. Room for lots of clips. This was done in Vegas 12 (2013) and it had media management features I wish I knew it had, and thus would have used. One thing would have greatly reduced the "N squared" workflow I ended up using. Media could be tagged with keywords and you could filter/view by keyword(s). A bit of up front organize with tagging and the edit flow would flow smoother.

• Dimipapa

12 was a great version. Lots of new features, maybe the most added in one version ever and a lot of them were quality of life. I wound up using it for 6 years. Normally I don't go that long before upgrading but Sony gave up the software. Then MAGIX luckily picked it up and my next version was 16 which was excellent as well.

• NormanPCN

12 was a great version. Lots of new features, maybe the most added in one version ever and a lot of them were quality of life.

One thing I remember that struck me in the new feature video for Vegas 12 was the additional clip linking mode that version offered. It just improved clip linking workflow in some circumstances. A far cry from a complete lack of clip linking.

• iNate
    iNate Posts: 48 Just Starting Out*

I switched to Resolve a while ago. Ignite Pro is uninstalled as some things are broken on new software revisions and I don't think it will ever be M# Native as it was dropped from development a while ago.

Sucks to rely on so etching that forces you to not upgrade your NLE when that upgrade offers value that you can benefit from.

Once they started silently dropping products, I saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship.

Once Fusion Studio was put on the Resolve Studio serial, I committed to node-based composting and moved over.