Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser trailer

SimonKJonesSimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
edited November 2014 in General

Here we go again:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

The Star Wars prequels were huge when we had our very first products out on the market, and everybody was going crazy trying to do lightsaber movies on their home computers.

It's going to be pretty awesome to see that all kicking off again but with the equipment and software now available to indie and fanfilm filmmakers.

Comments

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff

This makes me very happy indeed! :)

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131
    edited November 2014

I actually don't like this particular trailer, it is too fragmented for me, not enough meat to really figure out what is going on.  The falcon is still around that is nice to know, figure the "kids" are flying it now, will see.

The quick glimpse of that light saber the effect looks almost identical to that new heat effect in HF3 Pro at least from the few videos I have seen of it.  Maybe easy to duplicate in HF3 Pro, no?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

I am afraid I have to call that trailer a big yawn. I felt like I was watching a trailer for a fan film. Look, a desert! Look, 30 year old X-wings! Look, 60 year old Falcon! Look, a woman wearing Alliance forest camo on a desert world! Is... Is that a lightsaber with sub-emitters for a Light-crossguard? O...... K.....  And that beach ball looking robot may be one of the worst designs I have ever seen. 

@Idrankwhat there was no meat to that trailer at all. That was 100% steak sauce. 

• fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228

I remember seeing a double ended lightsaber for the first time and thinking 'cool'. (Dangerous and stupid to use, be cool!)

But what on earth would the cross-guard do on a lightsaber? The light part doesn't even start at the body of the handle. How would it even function as a guard?

Maybe that isn't want it does? Time will tell. But it didn't do it for me.

edited November 2014

My thought on that is they would be cool to use to stab someone close up like when they get close in on each other in a saber fight, quickly stab the opponent or cut their hands / fingers off.

Walk up to someone from behind and quckly stab them in the neck?  I dunno.  LOL

• VikingFilm65VikingFilm65 Website User Posts: 261
    edited November 2014

Folks, it's not a trailer! It's a "teaser trailer", dont expect too much of those. usually all you get is a glimse or two. I have seen far worse teaser trailers. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

Yes, but a teaser is supposed to get the audience excited for more. I wasn't. Other's milage might vary. I keep thinking about all the changes in tech between Episodes III and IV, so seeing 30 year old X wings and TIE fighters is a bit of "guess the New Republic is stagnant" for me. Endor forest camo on a desert world... It's familiar imagery to reassure us that it's Star Wars.. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,735 Ambassador
    edited November 2014

Don't worry.   There will be plenty of lens flares to "update" the look.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

British trains are mostly 50 years old, so 30 year old ships for a cash strapped New Republic doesn't make me blink an eye. 

It's definitely designed to feel familiar and reassuring, but after the prequels that's what is needed, to a degree. 

What I do like is the sense of urgency and panic that runs throughout this is teaser. 

• cowdarcowdar Website User Posts: 39

I just watched this thinking it was a fan film lol

I though surely that was not  made with hit film and blender!

It did have a fan film feel to it

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited November 2014

So was the Force asleep for the past 60 years? Was it drowsy and not fully awake? lol I don't get the title at all.

Triem23 - Yeah- that beach ball droid, as you say, is pretty sad. Does the head partially hover? Does it use magnetics to stay in place? Very confusing and just impracticle.

Stargazer54 - Perish the thought!!! J.J. has admitted that his over use of lightflares was a mistake. Hopefully he learned from all the critiques. Time will tell- well by December 2015 we should know.

The light sabre has a completely different look. I watched that portion several times over and I'm still not sure I like it. Too wobbly looking or something. Did they add a thin lightning effect to the outer edges? That's what it looks like to me.

edited November 2014

Apparently from the comments over at youtbe on that video this is a syth or sub-syth sabre. Wonder what the Jedi sabre looks like.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Idrankwhat - So the Sith researched and developed new tech but didn't upgrade TIE Fighters? lol

Looking at the trailer again,  the crossguard beams are long enough to be a hazard to the wielder. Those things should angle up 45 degrees to not sever one's own hand at the wrist. 

@StormyKnight - Blame Abrams for that.. LOL

After Vader and the Emperor's demise I am sure the empire fell apart or at least reshaped into factions over the years.  At the end the Empires hold was just around the core and all the outer systems were pretty much on their own.

It's an Abram's Star Wars... I imagine Star Trek but with Wookies and Storm Troopers.  Will see what he does with the Next Gen of Star Wars.. what gets rewritten, what get's loosely followed and what stays the same.

• fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228

Whatever else was on show didn't really register... I just cannot get past the crossguard on the saber. It is just really dumb.

Unless it does something else, and it might, this is really a bit hard to handle. (See what I did there?)

Surfing tonight I see I'm not the only person struggling with this!

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/28/7303233/please-hire-me-jj

• DanilothDaniloth Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 52 Enthusiast

The initial stormtrooper seemed really out of place, I'll grant you that much.  Not knowing the expanding universe and such, I don't know if I'm supposed to recognize him.  I'm wondering what the round thing is on his shoulder since usually the 'armor' lines have been pretty clean..

The girl on the cargo 'bike' seemed fine to me.  It's desert camo, with glasses, etc.  Nothing far out of line with what we've seen on Tatooine before, just no flowing robes.  The 'bike' seems a bit cobbled together, held in place with canvas lines and such.  Felt weathered and old.

The droid feels like comic relief, but aside from using thrusters/antigrav or separate turrets, it does make for a fast/agile way to move across sand.

I liked the sense of movement and place that both the X-Wings across the water, or the Falcon had in their respective shots.  A bit less shaky cam might be nice, but it felt/looked like real objects in real locations.

So...   The lightsaber...   Definitely a difference in the look of the blade, whether it's a lack of access to 'proper' crystals, or some new tech, I'm not sure.  It is more dynamic and visually interesting.  Nothing wrong with a bit of a shift from what we've been used to.  The sideflares... I dunno.  If the emitters crossed so the flares could 'catch' the blade of another lightsaber, interesting.  Otherwise right now, seems like nothing to stop your hand from being cut off, same as normal.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing a bit more, although I'll try to see it relatively blind I think.  Seems like that was best back in '77.

Idrankwhat - I wouldn't blame Abrams 100%- Lucas is still the overlord. Lucas has had these ideas brewing for a very long time and while he may not have direct involvment i.e. consultation, I'm sure out of respect anyone working on the project with influence is listening closely to his recommendations. He is after all- the Yoda. lol

I pictured in my mind the very thing you said about the empire. It's probably in tatters and remnants are still around- just like the Soviets may no longer have a union but they have never entirely gone away. I'm sure there are still isolated battles for control and power. Or perhaps more incidious by getting elected to office like the Emporer did and changing the country without consent of the people......no wait- that's Obama......sorry. lol

@Triem23- The thought did occur to me that perhaps that's not a light sabre. Maybe it's a key or a tool of some kind......eh- I doubt that but it would be difficult to justify some of the classic sabre moves using this new one.

@fredclips- lol- get a grip, dude!

Daniloth - I'm wondering if the girl on the speeder bike is one of Luke or Leia's kids. The storm trooper- Lando's kid? And I agree- I'm going into it avoiding all plot discussions/reveals so I go in blind. I pretty much try to do that with all movies though.

@Daniloth that "unknown" Stormtrooper is your young male lead. Changes to his armor are to be expected with 30 years of tech development--surely everyone noticed the new Stormtrooper helmets with the vertical line coming off the mouth that changes the look from a stylized skull to a stylized "Heath Ledger" Joker?! 

@StormyKnight why we gotta assume this Trooper is Lando's kid? He could be the grandson of Padme's Captain of the Guard. Remember, there are TWO black characters in EP I-VI. ;-) 

@fredclips the article you linked was overwritten. My fiancee and I reached the same conclusions in three seconds with consulting a weapons master. That saber design is dumb. 

@SimonKJones I will give you this: the way the trailer is cut, it certainly attempts to maintain tension, but, if this trailer were for a new franchise, all one could say is "that movie will have spaceships, battle armor, a terrible robot design (EVE from Wall-E wants her head back) and a very impractical laser sword." 

@Triem23- You're right- the actor looks more like the Captain of the Guard than Lando. Shouldn't rule out a decendant of Samuel Jackson either.

The side parts of the sabre in question actually look like blow torches. The ends flicker but you have to watch closely to see it.

Just a thought- that may not be the Millenium Falcon. It could be another ship of the same design. It looks newer- or it could have been overhauled. The radar dish on top is square- but the round one was torn off in the Death Star.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

The big Falcon shot at the end reminds me a lot of the general cinematography of spaceships in Empire, which is a good thing. I'm thinking some of the asteroid belt stuff in particular.

I still think the lightsaber concept almost works - it makes sense to have some guards near the hands, for when blades slide down each other. However, they'd need to intelligently turn on and off to avoid inadvertantly disabling the wielder. :)

Anyway, I still really, really love this teaser. Part of what I love about it is that it tells me nothing at all, other than providing a glimpse of generally high quality, and a visual sense that is skewed much more towards the original trilogy than the prequels. It's what a teaser should be. YMMV, obv. :)

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff

I'm assuming you've all seen the Lego version, created in a day :)

LOLOLOL!!!!! A friend told me he saw the teaser trailer for the real movie but was confused when he saw the lego version. I thought he was off his rocker but evidently not.

The Lucas Special edition was hilarious! So was the other stuff but someone really went out of their way to doctor up the trailer.

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
  • DewrDewr Website User Posts: 129 Enthusiast

Going by my Falcon Haynes Manual, it looks like the Falcon has been fitted with the standard design dish for the YT series.

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

And here is just another Lego version... Seems like this trailer really has got the modification/recreation-hype going :D

Nothing seems to inspire fan creativity as much as Star Wars. I'm not sure why that is, but it's always been the case. That Lego recreation is remarkably faithful!

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Well, for a "newcomer" to star wars, the vast amount of material already existing in the expanded universe, with so many stories and details all playing together, certainly plays a big role in why the Star Wars universe is so fascinating to fans. At least for me this was definitely the case.