Compare features and effects in HitFilm subscription plans, and between HitFilm Express

KirstieT
KirstieT Posts: 1,284 Staff

Hi all,

After community feedback, we've released a comprehensive list of features and effects so that you can directly compare between subscription plans, and HitFilm Express.

Here is a blog post that allows you to compare the effects and features between HitFilm Express and HitFilm (Free): https://fxhome.com/blog/compare-hitfilm-express-to-the-brand-new-hitfilm-free

And here is a news article that allows you to compare the effects and features between the different subscription plans: https://fxhome.com/news/compare-features-and-effects-in-hitfilm-subscription-plans-free-creator-and-pro

Thanks @alaska_vfx_filmer for suggesting this pinned thread!

Comments

• pbattersby
    pbattersby Posts: 53 Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this. It's good to see such a detailed comparison between HitFilm Express and HitFilm Free.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 427 Enthusiast

Don't understand why you guys got rid of light mode. The program started off with a light UI. Most people may prefer dark mode but I'm sure there are plenty that can't stand the increased contrast of dark mode. Doesn't seem like a feature that would necessitate much developer resources either, so why remove it?

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

I to liked the light, but now we have the dark. Why... Because it is easier to follow the path to the dark side, than the light. 😂

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 654 Enthusiast

@Andy001z Yes, but you must feel the power of the dark side. Ha ha ha ha ha!

• KirstieT

@Dimipapa The majority of our users really didn't like the light mode and were very vocal about it, so we made the decision to remove it for everyone. It doesn't seem like a big resource to support them both, but actually with every icon needing to have amended colors to stand out on a different color background, it does add up!

Sorry to hear that you and @Andy001z both liked it!

• Andy001z

@KirstieT love that response, "Both liked it!" made me grin. Hope you saw the humour in my response.

• Dimipapa

I guess png's don't grow on trees.

• Dimipapa

I mean it was hideous, and the benefit of dark mode is to reduce vision fatigue when staring at the screen for long periods of time.

• TonyCee
    TonyCee Posts: 779 Ambassador

Oh @KirstieT with shade on such a hot day, that response was simply.. divine.

• assensy
    assensy Posts: 56 Enthusiast

From the comparison I can see that even Creator has less features than Express + the most necessary plugins, which does not make it attractive for users who use Express and bought some plugins. Left as it is, buying it is an unnecessary waste of money. 

• fourthhokage
    fourthhokage Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi,

so ive been using hitfilm express for a while now, but ive noticed that the new version means that when i import a video into the new version of hitfilm it zooms in too much and then i get the upgrade watermark on it too! One of my videos worked with a ratio of 1780:1000 but the others were 2880:1620! Not sure why the aspect ratios were different for both of them when i recored them on a screen recording but it sucks that hitfilm charges for this!

• KirstieT

Hey @fourthhokage, as you've been using HitFilm Express for a while now, you can absolutely continue to use it if you need to still export at 4K. Unless you would like to download HitFilm subscription specifically, you don't need to pay for 4K export as you already have the software that allows you to do so.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, a very low number of users made use of the 4K export feature in HitFilm Express, hence why we no longer deemed it to be necessary to have in the most basic HitFilm Free software. I'm sorry that you're one of the users affected by this and hope that you continue to find that HitFilm Express meets your needs.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,185 Enthusiast

@KirstieT I think that move was a poor choice. Look at Davinci Resolve.... it's free and allows you to render in 4k. Many people Edit in 4k. So I don't know why you are limiting people by doing this. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. Please seriously consider bringing back that option. I never had express. I was going to get my team to start editing with HF. I guess not since I can't even get express if I never owned it in the 1st place. Unfortunately at the end of the day, I have to look elsewhere. Davinci Resolve looks pretty compelling. I will stick with HF for my comp work but as an editor cant especially when you are switching pro and express files for editing purposes :(.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer AlaskaPosts: 564 Enthusiast

I would push for 4k editing, even if export is capped at 1080. But again, who am I?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,199 Enthusiast
    edited July 21

I think it is unfair to constantly compare Hitfilm to Resolve. In a real world, people need to put food on the table kinda way. It's a narrative to promote. Certainly fair to compare features but Resolve is a product which is a major loss leader for Blackmagic (loss on the paid version). The amount of money BlackMagic has paid acquiring all the companies/software and then the dev staff to integrate and continue dev seems quite large. No way they broke even at the previous price of $995 let alone the current price.

Of course those offering free, have to decide what to remove (effectively) from free. Resolve removes hardware decode from free and Hitfilm removes UHD. It can be said that UHD without HW decode could be problematic. Then again, the Resolve ingest is pretty stellar when I played around with it some (Resolve 14/15/16 era). Then again, those not willing to pay for software maybe have not so good machines.

---

One can edit any res, use features. It just has a small watermark in the lower right. It seems out of the way enough and is a very obvious indicator of something being used that is not supported in the product licensed. It really keeps someone from getting really deep into a project, without knowing, only to find the watermark at export. Exports are heavily watermarked which is expected.

• Andersen01498

Have you seen the watermark? It's not on the lower right. It's massive right in the middle.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,199 Enthusiast
    edited July 21

YES.

This is the watermark I see in the viewer window when editing something using an unlicensed feature. In this case a UHD composite.

I believe this is as I described. "One can edit any res, use features. It just has a small watermark in the lower right."

--

This is what I see if I export something using an unlicensed feature. Again, a UHD composite shot.

edit: Exported to UHD as well.

I believe this is as described. "Exports are heavily watermarked which is expected."

edit: edit: I'll also add that if I take a UHD comp and export using a preset that resizes down to HD, say Youtube 1080, then the watermark is still there, even though the export was HD. The app is clearly looking at the frame size passed to the export function. Not the result of the export. This all assuming no other unlicensed features were used.

• The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

So Hitfilm Free no longer supports 1440p50 exporting without a watermark?

• Andy001z

I know this is something they are looking at, it might not be fully working they wanted it to/

• AdrianPakulski
    AdrianPakulski Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*
    edited July 25

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but some changes are not clear to me.

I have HitFilm Express with extras:

Film looks pack

Colorist pack

Motion: Audio Visual

Color: Starter

Edit: Repair

After launch my HitFilm, I have a message to download a new HitFilm (update).

Should I really update my HitFilm Express. Am I losing all the extras I have already paid for?

• Andy001z

Hi Adrian, HitFilm free is a separate product from Express. Therefore if it is saying update, that is because your express version can be updated. You can install on the same both Express and Free and both will run.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@AdrianPakulski In your case, you should probably stay on Express for the time being, as your add-ons will not carry over to the Free plan.

The final version of Express can be found here:

https://legacy.fxhome.com/software-install/hitfilm-express

If it still asks you to update after this version, you should be able to turn off the update prompt.

As @Andy001z mentions, you can keep the new HitFilm and your copy of Express installed at the same time to compare. Right now the most notable addition in Free is the asset library, which has a few cool music tracks, sounds effects, and templates. Just be careful opening projects between the two… HitFilm Free will open Express projects, but projects saved in Free can never go back to Express, even if they started there, so make backups of your projects if you’re playing around with that

• ThankGodItsFriday
    ThankGodItsFriday Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
    I'm not against the new HitFilm entirely, but IMHO, the library of media seems completely unnecessary as I can find most of my assets off of sites on the internet. There's plenty of royalty-free, commission-free content out there by various artists - why subscribe to HitFilm just to get more of the media they offer in their library of images, music, sounds, and video? One should upgrade to get the benefits of better quality exports and automated add-ons, like the Mocha add-on, but this other stuff? Fluff, really. Just bloatware.

I'm one who will probably not pay for HitFilm unless my situation requires it, as I'm content with what the free "trial" tier has to offer, but even if I do upgrade, I will more than likely be using my own assets, not HitFilm's.
  • Andersen01498

I 100% agree. I think it is utter bogus that artlist tried to add their touch to the software. If I really wanted artlist stuff I would have just gotten off the site. Not just random tracks.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@ThankGodItsFriday If you don’t want the Artlist stuff, you can always grab a Perpetual Pro license, which has none of that stuff. It’s the same price as it’s been for years, and you get to keep that version (+12 months of updates) forever.

Free is also a great option, and it comes with a few freebies that you might as well use if they’re there.

• ximhm
    ximhm Posts: 8 Just Starting Out
    我完全赞同以上观点,我不知道这些天一直购买永久版本HitFilm Pro 13可是在官网购买页面付款始终本成功
  • ximhm
    上面我的评论文字有错误,
    应该是在HitFilm Pro官网购买永久版本(+12 个月的更新)始终付款不成功
  • ximhm
    以前的HitFilm Pro 13版本也不知如何购买
  • ximhm