Why is it taking so long to export?

TheDarkAngel
TheDarkAngel Posts: 1 Just Starting Out*
edited July 9 in HitFilm

Hi!

So, I've been using Hitfilm Express for a while and it is a great program! But I've noticed all of a sudden, my export times are RIDICLOUSLY long.

I tried exporting a ~45 min video, and it was only 7% done after 15 hours. This was with the inbuilt preset 'YouTube 1080p HD'. I tried again lowering the quality to 720p (custom preset, copied the 1080 one and just lowered it) and in 11 hours it came to 27%. I gave up on these at it was just too long to have it process as it was taking 100% of my GPU and I can't do much else on the computer in the meanwhile.

So I tried to see how long just exporting a TINY part of the clip would be, 4 minutes, and as of writing this, it is at 86% after 1 hour and 50 minutes.

What I cannot fathom is why in the past, I have exported a video that was 1 hour and 40 minutes, which exported in under an hour and a half. Does anyone know why suddenly, this is taking so so much longer?

The only thing that has changed from then to now is that I changed location, which does have a little slower internet (but from my understanding that should have no affect?), and my CPU fan had popped out last week, but I put it back on and dusted my computer and everything seemed to sit properly on the motherboard and was working fine I believe.

I checked if my drivers needed to be updated (through device manager -> display), it did not, "The best drivers for your device are already installed".

My specs for my computer are:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 3.20GHz, 6 Cores

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series

(if it is of any affect, the videos are sent to my HDD drive, however, they have all been sent there (every video i've created) so I didn't think that is an issue? Hitfilm Express is on my SSD)

(I don't have any super fancy effects besides some floating text in the beginning and end)

I'm sorry this became long, thank you so so so much for any help, I really don't know what to do....

I am starting to get worried that something is wrong with my computer, and idk what or why :(

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,788 Ambassador
    edited July 13

Drivers for your GPU should come from the manufacturer and not Microsoft updates (assuming you are on Windows). Its possible M$ downgraded your driver during a recent update. Also more information about the original video would be helpful. If you are rendering 4K to 1080p then there will be some delay, though not as much as you've experienced.

If a driver update doesn't do it please contact support directly at https://fxhome.com/support

[Edit] You might also try the new version of Hitfilm Free. https://fxhome.com/product/hitfilm You can install it along side of Express. Might be worth a try to see if that solves the issue. Just be aware HF-Free does not support 4K.