Confused about recent changes to Hitfilm

PAGvideo
PAGvideo Posts: 6 Just Starting Out

Hello,

I've been using Hitfilm Express for about 3 months now, to edit wildlife videos. I have found it relatively easy to use (once you understand the terminology!!). Also, lots of short help videos available.

I'm very confused about the recent email "The all-new FXhome is here",

I use Hitfilm Express. No mention of it now; just Hitfilm, Creative and Pro...on subscription.

• Do I need to do anything or can I stay on Express?
  • Are there any advantageous to moving to Hitfilm (free version)?
  • Has FXHOME moved Hitfilm to a model where you HAVE to have a subscription, albeit with a free version. Whereas previously, with Express it is just a program that sits on my desktop?
  • Concerned that they may soon remove the free version and force a subscription (in which case better to stay on Express)?
  • Or am I just worrying too much....😀

Thanks for the product and the help.

Peter

Best Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,623 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Just to add to what @Andy001z said,

If you never purchased any Express add-ons (add-ons don’t exist in Free and won’t move over), and you only export in 1080p (Free only allows 1080p, not 4K), the new HitFilm Free is virtually identical, but with all the latest updates and features! There’s pretty much no reason not to upgrade.

If you ever want to upgrade to HitFilm Pro, you will have the choice between a Perpetual License or a Subscription. If you go perpetual, you will get 12 months of updates and you’ll always have access to the final version you’re eligible for. If you go subscription, you’ll get the latest version for as long as you pay the subscription. If you stop paying, you’ll revert to HitFilm Free.

I highly doubt the Free plan is going away any time soon. FXhome has always reiterated that they want to make sure there’s a free version of the software. It’s also a competitive advantage… I reckon the vast majority of users that have paid money for Pro/other upgrades, started on a free version of HitFilm (myself included). Most other products don’t let you “try before you buy” as well as HitFilm does.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,504 Ambassador
    edited July 8 Answer ✓

Be careful with swapping from one to the other, while opening an express project in Free should work, saving it in Free and trying to open in Express will not.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,504 Ambassador
    Answer ✓

@PAGvideo Fxhome have said there is going to be some new video content on the differences and changes so hopefully they will address it there.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,623 Moderator
    Answer ✓

@Bhat59 You appear to be new here. Welcome!

Unless you previously owned Express (perhaps on another account?), you will not be able to activate it. If you didn’t have a license for it before, it will be worthless to you now.

HitFilm Free is plenty powerful and has everything that the free, base Express did and more! The only exception is you are limited to 1080p Export.

Answers

• PAGvideo
    Thank you, Andy & triforcefx.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed information. I didn't realise I could have both versions side by side, so that's helpful.
    I will download the new free version, but keep Express on my desktop too. That way I can revert to it if needed, but I guess I'll grow to like the new features and Express will disappear!On
    Many thanks and best regards.

Peter
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,201 Power User

To restate what @Andy001z just said, Express 2021.3 and earlier projects will open in Hitfilm Free, but Hitfilm Free projects won't open on Express (this is typical. Projects created in later versions of software rarely open in earlier versions), so, when moving an existing project to HF Free the first thing to do is SAVE AS a new file name.

• PAGvideo
    Ok Andy, I see...
    I think FXhome have missed a trick here, you are clearly very knowledgeable about this, but I suspect that there are a lot of people like me, who are not. Surely, a simple explanation, as you have kindly provided, would help? Are there any release notes?
    Thanks again.
    Best regards
    Peter
  • PAGvideo
    Great 👍. Appreciate all your responses. I'm off to make my next video.....hares on my local farm. I'm still learning Hitfilm, so finding my way around all the community resources and tutorials.
    Thanks and best regards.

Peter
  • Bhat59
    Bhat59 Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

" in fact you can install the FREE version alongside your Express right now, it will not interfere at all"

Can you show how this can be done? I have already installed the new Hitfilm Free, now I want to install the Express. Or can you show the location of the tutorial or thread. I have searched everywhere, but didn't succeed.