No more bugfixes for Express?

Miffed
Miffed Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

Bought Express with a bunch of plugins on November 1st.

During the first week I spent a lot of time wrestling with an annoying bug, and reported it Nov. 11th with clear instructions on how to reproduce the bug. (Bug was acknowledged)

Have been waiting patiently for a fix, but now it seems that FXhome has taken the Klaus Schwab road, (and I refuse to be happy about a future where I own nothing).

Have I spent money and time on a product that I can't even get a fix for, unless I buy the expensive pro version, or enable automatic draining of my bank account?

Or have I just misunderstood something? Installing the new free version and logging in, did not enable my paid plugins.

Tagged:

Answers

• spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 261 Enthusiast
    edited July 7

Yep, and I bet no more (even basic fixes) for any release (even perpetual) older than the current release.

Which really sucks, because even a very recently purchases (within the last year to 18 months) "perpetual" or "Express + Add-ons" owned solution might well not be compatible with Windows 11, which is now standard on new Windows PC's.

"Subscribe!"or "Buy that expensive 'perpetual' license that only gives you 12 months of upgrades" is what I'm sure the message is here.

Who cares if you bought/paid for HF express add-ons or a "perpetual" license that is no longer paid up. If you've got Windows 11 or need bugfixes, you might well be out of luck.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@Miffed The last patch for HitFilm Express was released around April. There was another patch in December I believe. If you never updated your software, you can download the final version here:

https://legacy.fxhome.com/software-install/hitfilm-express

Hopefully, those patches addressed your concerns! If not, all I can say is sorry it didn’t work out for you cuz that’s awful.

If that doesn’t work, there may be a small glimmer of hope… the older versions of Express can be a bit more stable… you may be able to ask Support for the Express v16 installer, which would still support your addons.

• Miffed
    @triforcefx Thank you for your advice.
    Sadly, the newer patches for Express does not solve the problem, but the new free version seems to at least partly solve it (based on 10 minutes of testing).

Because I sometimes edit 2-hour long 4k59.94 videos, I doubt that v16 will be a solution, since it looks like it lacks proxy media, a feature I rely heavily on.

In case you wonder, the bug is related to export of fractional framerate videos. The audio is not exported correctly, necessitating padding the video manually, then performing time consuming post processing with ffmpeg.

Had I known the bug wouldn't be fixed for financially conscious people, I would have just jumped ship and spent my time and money on another editor.
    I really hope I'm wrong, and a solution exists.
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@Miffed I don’t think this would typically be an issue, you just happened to come in during a time of major transition and ended up being one of the (hopefully small) handful of users that ended up getting the short end of the stick. It unfortunately tends to come with large changes such as this… while it’s an overall good thing for the majority of users, there’s always a few that end up in a crummy position.

Version 16 might just be worth a shot… most people find that it actually runs faster, as the proxy system had some major growing pains that are still being worked out. It also uses a different encoder and decoder which often works far better. (The encoder was changed in 2021.2 for cost saving reasons on the license)

• leesang
    leesang Posts: 45 Just Starting Out*

여러 비디오 편집 프로그램을 탐험하며서 배운 것중

하난 히트필름은 VFX 프로그램이지 편집 프로그램

이라고 부른기 힘들 정도라는 것 입니다.

라이트웍스 또는 다빈치 리졸브 프리버전을 사용해 보세요.

참고로 라이트웍스 프리버전 내보내기가 720P 제한이 있습니다.

그러나 경험해 볼만한 충분한 매력이 있습니다.

파일 관리나 변환 또는 프록시 사용에 있어서 다빈치 리졸브 많은

옵션을 제공합니다.

What I Learned From Exploring Different Video Editing Programs

Hanan Hit Film is a VFX program, an editing program

It's hard to call it that.

Try Lightworks or DaVinci Resolve free version.

Please note that Lightworks free version export is limited to 720P.

But there are enough attractions to be experienced.

DaVinci Resolve has many uses for file management, conversion or proxy use.

options.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,207 Staff

@Miffed Sorry you are having trouble with the software. Do you have a link to a forum post or support ticket where you mentioned this issue in the past?

Also, are you exporting your video at the exact same frame rate as your project frame rate? If you want to change the frame rate you export at, you need to change it in the project settings.

• Miffed

@CedricBonnier

Ticket is ZPY-816708.

It's not a matter of me having wrong settings, it's a bug that was acknowledged as being reproducible.

I'm not a tech-dummy. I can even give you the formula for calculating how many frames of audio is missing in the exported file at 59.94fps: (exportSeconds * 0.06) - 1,  suggesting that the programmer used an integer for fps instead of a float when calculating the length of audio to export.

My main gripe isn't that I paid 39 bucks for a defective product. But I had a reasonable expectation of getting a fix for a bug I reported 10 days after purchase, and therefore I spent many hours learning the ins and outs of the editor, setting up templates and composite shots. I tolerated the cumbersome post-export-processing with ffmpeg on the command line, in expectation of eventually getting a fix.

Don't want to fix defective products? That's fine, just say so up front. Could have saved me a ton of time and frustration.

Call me stubborn or cheap, but converting to bank account drainage in order to get a bugfix is simply not something I'm willing to do.

@leesang Quote: "an editing program It's hard to call it that"

Maybe, but that's exactly what they call it. Here's a direct quote from the welcome mail I got from them: "...using HitFilm Express to create exciting video content with video editing, VFX, and motion graphics techniques".

Besides, the editing process in HitFilm works just fine for me.

I did try out most of the editing stuff on the market, and DaVinci is really sluggish on my high end $3500 ThinkPad. Lightworks is subscriptions based, so that's a no-go. It does not matter that they have a perpetual license. As a principle I don't give money to companies that have gone the subscription route.

If I really have to pay ~$300 for an editing app, I might as well just upgrade to an M2 MacBook and use my old Final Cut Pro X + Motion X license. No subscription bs, plus free updates.

@triforcefx Quote: "while it’s an overall good thing for the majority of users, there’s always a few that end up in a crummy position"

That's a choice, not a given.

• Miffed

Well, well, well... I just had time to test the new version more thoroughly, and it turns out that the bug isn't even fixed. It behaves differently, and at first glance it may look like it's fixed, but it's really not.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,788 Ambassador

Just to be clear, Express was Free so nothing to "buy". The only thing to buy were "Add-on" effects. As to bugs with Express, your best bet is to work directly with FXHome/Artlist Support. But it is certainly possible that if there is a bug in Express, it may never be addressed since Express is now deprecated in favor of the newer Hitfilm Free.

As stated, this is a transition period with Hitfilm after the merger with Artlist. There are bound to be issues for end users. If there is no resolution, I certainly hope you find a better free solution such as Resolve.

But again, any resolution with your issue will come from Support staff. Not really a whole lot us end users can do with the code.

• Miffed

The amount of gaslighting here is quite impressive. A few examples:

@Stargazer54 Quote: "Just to be clear, Express was Free so nothing to "buy". "

I agree that HitFilm Express had a free version, but I bought a $39 product called "HitFilm Express VFX Artist", that's the exact product name. Order no.: 617fd7238bb61

Quote: "As to bugs with Express, your best bet is to work directly with FXHome/Artlist Support"

As previously stated, that's exactly what I did. The bug was acknowledged. Ticket no.: ZPY-816708. Doesn't mean anything if I can't get the fix without signing up for automatic bank account draining.

Quote: "any resolution with your issue will come from Support staff. Not really a whole lot us end users can do with the code"

Are those commenters marked "Staff", like @CedricBonnier, not staff?

@leesang Quote: "an editing program It's hard to call it that"

Maybe, but that's exactly what they call it.

@triforcefx Quote: "it’s an overall good thing for the majority of users, there’s always a few that end up in a crummy position"

I'm lost for words. Let's just say that I disagree with the premise.

In summary, you're trying to gaslight me by saying that I can't expect anything because the product I payed $39 for is a free product, that staff doesn't mean staff, that I should have done exactly what I did, that the product isn't even the type of product that it's advertised to be, and that it's all fine because some other people are happy.

I give up. Not worth my time.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,207 Staff

@Miffed Again I am sorry you are still having trouble with the software. We did log your issue however it has not been fixed yet because we've had higher priority items to work on.

It has not been deleted though, it is still there in our internal bug tracker.

Oh and yes, members tagged as "staff" on here are employed by Artlist.