Dye black hair to blond using Hitfilm

8KMAX
8KMAX Posts: 189 Just Starting Out*

Hi everyone, It´s been a long time since I last posted a new discussion here in the forum. Hope everyone is doing well.

I recently finished a short film featuring a young 8 years old boy with blond hair. Here comes the problem: there is supposed to be a flashback in the short film that depicts the boy´s life when he was younger. But available footage of him shows his hair almost black (color somehow changed as time went by). Solution: adding a black and white effect in hitfilm. Problem: when doing this, due to how black and white film stock works, hitfilm associates black hair with, obviously, black. Is there a feasible way to change this and make his black hair white?

Best regards

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,303 Power User

Two ways you can handle this.

First, ignore it. It's actually not unusual for hair color to change in childhood. I was blonde until I was 8. Over less than a year I suddenly became brown. It happens. It happened to your actor.

Second, well, you'll have to roto the hair to apply filters - if you have legacy Hitfilm Express or Pro with Mocha Hitfilm this is a bit easier. If you don't already have that license you're looking at a Pro-tier sub (or perpetual license) to access Mocha Hitfilm. You can also roto with the regular masking tool, but that's a lot more tedious.

Given you've indicated it's real footage of the same actor and his hair actually changed color, I'd let this go. I don't know how long the sequence is, but changing black hair to blonde is a lot harder to do than changing blonde to black.

• 8KMAX

Thanks! Glad to hear about your experience as I did think about using mocha or even AE roto tools to mask the hair out. Problem is that as the old footage lacks micro-contrast and detail in general, the tracking software fails to successfully follow the path of the moving object, in this case, the hair. This plus the fact that hair isn´t consistent during shots (very long in some, short in others) makes me highly doubt the feasibility of doing so. Think I´m gonna go for what you said and leave it as is.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,272 Staff

As someone who just dyed her hair from brown to blond and pretty much destroyed it, I wish I'd just tried to alter it in HitFilm instead 🤣

• Triem23

@KirstieT oof. I did that once. Once.

Bleaching can do a number on hair.

Plus, I look terrible blonde. 😀

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,228 Expert
    edited July 7

@Triem23 I went blond once about 40 odd years ago. I ended up looking like Gorgeous George, the wrestler from waay back. 🤣 Now, it's all silver...or, gulp, gone...

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,272 Staff

@tddavis GORGEOUS GEORGE!! Wow, that's a blast from the past 😂

@Triem23 Why do we all insist on doing this once? I did it before 2 important weddings and gave myself a meltdown 🤣 Next time, definitely just changing the hair color in HitFilm!

• 8KMAX

@KirstieT Yep, that´d be a way safer method of changing colour hahaha Looking forward to seeing a tutorial of this ;)

• Triem23

@tddavis Not Ric Flair? 😉

@KirstieT it was in college, as a theater major, at a director's request for a show. I have an excuse. 😉

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,228 Expert

@Triem23 I went and googled Gorgeous George and he was not the bleached blonde I was thinking he was...although he did nail the dark roots thing. I do believe Ric Flare is who I was thinking about though.