I need advice on using the free version and getting watermark on export

Rebeckah11
Rebeckah11 Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

I've simply clipped my own video and added some text layers and don't believe I have used any options that are part of the paid-for versions (they are all locked greyed out to me so can't be used), however on export I get the huge watermark stating I have to upgrade.

I've looked through previous questions about this and there was an issue of activation, although since the recent change to how the software is packaged this doesn't seem to apply and in the top right of my screen I just get the word 'upgrade' - when I start the free software it does come up with my name so I assume it is activated.

How do I know what elements I am using on the free version are paid for? Is there a list somewhere? Am I being silly and missing something? Is the free version only free to play with but not to export and actually use??

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

So if your using FREE subscription then you can use anything that does not have the words UPGRADE next to it. If you use any feature with UPGRADE it will watermark you.

As you unlock each tier more and more of the features will show less UPGRADE.

Hope that helps.

Andy

• Rebeckah11
    [{"insert":"I haven't used anything with 'upgrade' written next to it, purely imported my own media, edited it (sliced, moved about) and added some standard text elements, there are no effects, no additional music etc. This is the new version of HitFilm Free.\n"},{"insert":{"embed-external":{"data":{"url":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6032382\/uploads\/A0PCBJC8R7LJ\/screenshot-2022-06-28-14-47-08.png","name":"Screenshot 2022-06-28 14.47.08.png","type":"image\/png","size":322724,"width":3840,"height":2160,"displaySize":"large","float":"none","embedType":"image"},"loaderData":{"type":"image"}}}},{"insert":"\n"}]
  • Andy001z

What standard text elements?

• Rebeckah11
    On the viewer panel Text (T) in Lato and Impact standard fonts, bold, black, slightly pivoted. I ended up with 5 tracks: original video, audio, text 1, text 2 (for where on text element overlapped) and one jpg imported image that poped up for a couple of frames. The whole edit lasted 28 seconds.
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

Are you working in 4K? HitFilm free only allows 1080p projects and exports

• Rebeckah11
    Nope. Only HD 1080p
  • Andy001z

Go-to options . Activation, what does it say?

• Rebeckah11
    Options>Activation says the software is licensed to me, with email in brackets, and that it's a subscription type on a free license plan.
    However, it does state the license ends Sun Jul 24 13:44:10 2022!
    I've tried deactivating the program (the only option available), restarting and logging back in but that just changes the license end time to the time I logged in and not beyond. I have double-checked all emails, including online junk folders, and there is no activation email just a thanks for registering.
  • Andy001z

Don't with about the date, the Free is set to one month at a time. It will just roll over next month.