QuickTime Error 41 : Electric Boogaloo

GriffinPunk
GriffinPunk 'MuricaPosts: 2 Just Starting Out*

I know you guys have had this problem before, but this is the first time I've seen it in recent updates, so I thought I'd give it a shot to post here.

I've been having issues with QuickTime on startup. I've contacted tech support, uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime, the whole enchilada. In both 2021.3 and 2022.1, I seem to keep getting this error. I know there's a workaround where you can name .MOV files to .MP4 and they should work, but I'd appreciate diagnosing the root cause, in case (or before) it causes anything else to break. Anyone have any past experience with this and have any tips?

System Specs :

CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

RAM : 16GB

Model : HP

Steps to reproduce :

Open software, get error code 41 on startup; "There was a problem starting the QuickTime helper process. As a result you will not be able to import QuickTime movie files. Please re-install the application to fix this problem."

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,309 Expert

Frequently, the only real solution is to never use Quicktime. Thankfully it is mostly not needed anymore. Hitfilm natively support the common/normal video formats in a MOV (Quicktime) container file.

I know there's a workaround where you can name .MOV files to .MP4 and they should work

That would only "work", or do anything, if the file did not need Quicktime in the first place. e.g. AVC and Prores video media.

---

Quicktime is only needed for funky Quicktime only video format files. If you have such files, and since Quicktime basically sucks (often has issues), then one would want to transcode those media files to something "normal", aka common.

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,271 Staff

If you've already contacted tech support, then I don't really have anything to add, but sorry you're dealing with the QuickTime issue (and appreciate the steps to reproduce as this will help other users)

• GriffinPunk
    GriffinPunk 'MuricaPosts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Well, rats. Thanks for your feedback, guys; I'll be sure to take note of this for future reference — thanks for your time! c: