Trying to scale and pan using the composite feature

littlehausbigcity
littlehausbigcity Posts: 127 Enthusiast
edited June 27 in HitFilm

I am doing a project on how to cook with an electric stove with a GoPro on my forehead and at one point, was showing a piece of a chicken thigh to show it browning and the POV is a tad small and wanted to scale up to show it better, but when I do, the piece I was trying to show kept going off screen, so needed to pan up to show it scaled.

Problem is, the panning is not working when it should and it keeps panning too high before I want it to, then it kind of gets to the right spot. I can get it to scale fine.

So is there a sequence to set both these up, pan, then scale or the other way around?

Thanks!

BTW, this is for HFE 2021.2.

Tagged:

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

Couple of options, you could try doing it with a virtual camera. Add a camera then use the camera to pan and zoom, rather than scale.

Hard to know why it is doing it without seeing the shot.

• littlehausbigcity

Thanks Andy001z. I will try that but will this evening try to output the results and share here when back home from work.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert

@littlehausbigcity Alternatively, since you have scaled up the video clip, presumably to larger than the project frame settings, you can keyframe the position of the that layer then slide it down to show the relevant area in the center of the frame and keyframe it there. Then you can adjust the keys to be bezier and put a slow curve on it or make it constant keys and it will be instant.

• littlehausbigcity

I figured it out, it needed to be subtle and it took a few tries to get it right as one, the pan up is close to the bottom edge of the shot.

But by scaling up a bit, then panning up, if you will (scooting the image up), I was able to do just that and it's subtle, but the effect is there, and you can see the piece I was highlighting as I cooked, then it subtly slid back down and returned to 100% and 0.0/0.0 for the position. Like I said, it's subtle, but effective.

This is the final result. I find if I do it not long after getting up, I seem to solve my problems, usually.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,489 Ambassador

Good job, sleeping on it I find helps too.

• littlehausbigcity

@Andy001z ,

Thanks. I used OBS to capture the shot in question. Originally the footage was shot using a GoPro on my head.