Questions regarding the release notes 2022.1

Andersen01498
Andersen01498 Posts: 1,190 Enthusiast

I have several questions regarding the release notes.

1. Why aren't AE plugins supported anymore? I used Saber all the time. It was a very realistic effect, I used it way more often than the regular light sword effect in HF.

2. What is Deprecated? What do you mean by that?

• Quick 3D effects.
  • Color Correction Wheels
  • Light sword (2-Point Auto), Lightsword (4-Point Manual), Lightsword (Glow Only) 2D effects.)

Best Answer

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,271 Staff
    edited June 27 Answer ✓

Thanks for the questions @Andersen01498. Please see my responses below:

1. Why aren't AE plugins supported anymore? I used Saber all the time. It was a very realistic effect, I used it way more often than the regular light sword effect in HF.

I'm sorry to hear that you will miss the Saber effect. Unfortunately, supporting the After Effects plugins required an ongoing commitment to supporting new versions as they were released - this was of course considered when the feature was added, but the reality of it over the years outstripped our QA and development ability. Eventually, it became hard to justify the time and effort it was taking to support this feature, considering that a low number of users were actually making use of it.

2. What is Deprecated? What do you mean by that?

• Quick 3D effects.
    • Color Correction Wheels
    • Light sword (2-Point Auto), Lightsword (4-Point Manual), Lightsword (Glow Only) 2D effects.)

By deprecated, we mean that the effects are no longer supported and so while they remain in the software for now, they may not work exactly as intended. It is likely that these will be phased out of the software in the future. Color Correction wheels is being replaced by the better option of the YUV Color Correction effect. Hope that answers your question!

Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,623 Moderator
    edited June 25

@Andersen01498

As far as the depreciated effects go, they are still fully accessible. Any old projects that had these can still be opened properly. And you can add them to new projects as well. I believe this was mostly just to “clean things up” a bit.

-

This is very speculative, but I believe there are at least a few reasons AE effects were dropped:

1. Not many people used it. It required a Pro license, which already eliminates the vast majority (most likely) of the user base, and a lot of extra effort to get it installed. It also just wasn’t a well advertised feature (which you could argue is their fault… but there might be some reasons for this). None of this would be an issue except:
    2. It kept breaking. As you might imagine, trying to translate code written for AE into HitFilm isn’t always the most straightforward. A lot of the change logs noted that they had to bug fix an AE effect. And a lot of users had problems even with the fixes. Bug fixing costs a lot of time and money… especially for things that are rarely used by the general user base. It was difficult to maintain.

Yes, it’s too bad, but it’s hard to justify keeping around a rarely used feature that had the issues it did. The good news is if you’re doing a project that needs Saber or the other AE plug-ins, your previous version of Pro is still fully accessible!

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,309 Expert

I would guess the AE plug-in support, limited as it was, was dropped because it was not worth the support and development effort for the limited use it was getting. They were never going to support AE plugins in general. Like OFX plugins are supported in general.

Really, why did they try to add AE plug-ins at all? Speculation. FxHome wanted the Foundry camera tracker tech. Besides camera tracking that underlying tech may also be used for the stabilization feature in Hitfilm. Stabilization was a super common requested feature. Foundry wrote and sold that as an AE plug-in. The product was discontinued. No longer sold. FxHome had to support at least that AE plugin to include that tech into their app. So really, since the Foundry tech is still there, at least one AE plugin is still "supported".

--

Depreciated means the feature may disappear at some point in the future. Even when "removed" it may still exist for loading old projects that use it. Probably just not selectable from the effects panel.

Interesting that the color wheels got depreciated.

As for Quick 3D. Fine. What we really want are Particle Sim presets for those effects. That way we have full control. Most Quick3D (all?) are just simplified interfaces the the particle sim UI. FxHome has been negligent here. Bonfire is a notable example. A decent effect but no control over the emitter shape/blah/blah, and no PS preset ever existed. I ended up creating my own. Which took a little longer than I thought to get it just right.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,630 Enthusiast
    edited June 26

@NormanPCN

Like OFX plugins are supported in general.

So then do you know what exact OFX plugins are compatible (without speculation) in Hitfilm Pro besides BCC , Mocha and possibly NewBlue Titler? I can find no others.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,201 Power User

@GrayMotion all the NewBlue stuff, most of the Re:Vision stuff and Red Giant Universe, as well. There may be others, but I haven't used them.

But between Boris, Re:Vision, Red Giant and NewBlue that's pretty much all the major plug in creators which aren't Ae specific.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,309 Expert

...as Triem23 stated. I've owned them, for a time, or had trials to test.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,630 Enthusiast
    edited June 27

Thanks for the feed back.