No more sales?

Dimipapa
Dimipapa Posts: 409 Enthusiast

Feel like its been a minute since I've gotten a pop up or email about a sale. Usually there was one around spring and one around the holidays. Has this changed since the acquisition?

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,480 Moderator

This is the answer we got for Black Friday from Oli:

"Thanks for reaching out. This year we won't be holding a Black Friday sale. While we realize many people in our community look forward to this sale, we're working hard on some big changes, making the software more affordable for all users across the board! Stay tuned for details!"

-

I would expect the next version of HitFilm to change the pricing structure of the software. Nobody (except Staff) knows for sure what that will entail (though there's plenty of speculation that at least one of the options will be a more traditional subscription model).

The company has been extremely tight-lipped about the future (to be fair, they've pretty much ALWAYS been like that), but when it drops I imagine they will open the floodgates and push it hard. I feel extremely confident in saying we will not see a new sale/promotion before the next version releases. So we'll just have to sit back and wait for this information blackout to pass.

(Note: Mods and Ambassadors don't know anything. This is all just speculation based on publicly available information.)

• Dimipapa

Reminds me of the time PS3 had a firmware update to remove linux support.

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 372 Enthusiast

".........  big changes, making the software more affordable for all users across the board!"

Hum......... I read that above quote as, "subscription model". There is a big issue when you look at the concept of "affordable" (the small monthly price is likely gonna' be "affordable" ) and what you get to actually own at the end of the day after paying every month.

I HOPE there is a buy outright and also a subscription option.

best,...............................john

• nalmcruto
    nalmcruto Posts: 62 Just Starting Out*
    edited May 24

"......... big changes, making the software more affordable for all users across the board!"

Permanent ownership = permanent subscription = unaffordable

FXHome Let's not play with words, no one wants Hitfilm for a month, we all want it forever.

With a subscription model, if we want to own Hitfilm forever, we have to subscribe to it forever, which means we can't afford it.

• Dimipapa

I don't like it anymore than you do. A lot of people left the adobe suite because of the subscription. I think in the past adobe set up the pricing so that it would cost about as much as you would pay if you upgraded every other year. If they force us into to this, and I hope they don't, I'd ask they at least maintain that level of cost or less.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,144 Enthusiast

FX home will collapse or lose a lot of support if they go subscription model. They shouldn't be greedy. Look at the affinity products. They are a one-time price and they are doing well.

FX home has 2 main things going for them.

1. The pricing model one time price for a series of updates then you can keep it forever if you stop paying for more updates
    2. The Editing and compositing aspects are combined together. Adobe users have to use multiple software for their tasks.
  • JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 372 Enthusiast

"FX home has 2 main things going for them."

There was a third thing, I think. The tight feeling Hitfilm "community". The original FXHome team was pretty darn constantly on this forum interacting. Plus the forum was very active with diverse content posts from lots of users.

That feeling seems to have disappeared. At least to me.

best,

....................................john

• Dimipapa

Now that they've been bought they may not have a choice. I know the idea of hitfilm is that its a combo editor compositor but I couldn't imagine editing anything other than simple videos on it. The file management just isn't anyway near where it needs to be, its slow albeit it has gotten better faster, few built in transitions. And it's really not hard to work with two softwares. But maybe some people love using it as a NLE, to each their own. I think it's a damn good compositor though, especially for the money.

• Andersen01498

@Dimipapa It is very interesting to see FX home staff on their LinkedIn. It now says Artlist..... it's like FXhome didn't even exist. And yes File management is pretty bad for HF. There are so many editors that are superior in the file management category. For example, we cant import folders into HF....really, cmon give me a break.

@JBaymore Your comment was very interesting...I do agree with the community support. It's rock-solid, and everyone is so welcoming. I do miss the staff not interacting with the community lately. The only mention we see of the staff is when they say there might be an update.....then it falls flat. I don't know what FX home is waiting for tbh. I feel like they are going to lose a lot of members.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 and in recent tutorials it's "I'm >host< from FXhome by Artlist."

@JBaymore as an Ambassador/Mod I check this site daily and while I can't give exact numbers, forum engagement is definitely down. Users and Staff. I can say the same for the two Hitfilm groups on Facebook I moderate, the Discord and the Reddit. Don't pay enough attention to YouTube numbers and I'm not on TikTok or Instagram, but it worries me too. I know new user growth has slowed because I've shared every new half million users in social media and recently checked my own Facebook and Twitter backlog. Based on 2017-spring 2021 growth, FXhome should have hit 7-million users months ago. As an Ambassador I should be "cheerleading," although I've never been shy about criticism of FXhome when I felt it valid. In this case, yeah, I worry about the dropoff of engagement, feel FXhome has lost some goodwill and hope that FXhome emerges will a hell of a strong next version of their software with a strong marketing campaign. They need it.

On the other hand both @TomCowles and Artlist have shared BTS shots from in-progress promotional material recently, so I HAVE TO assume the drought is almost over. If new promo material is being shot they must be getting close to new releases.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,401 Ambassador

I'll throw my 2 cents into the hat. I think Artist would be wise enough to know that buying fxhome meant buying into a strong community. Damaging that community would not make good business sense. Yes it seems that community direct engagement has dropped, but they seemed to be more focusing on the tiktok and social media platforms, a lot more short story like content. But they do ask do you want a full tutorial still, so there is that.

Regarding any move to a full subscription model who knows, maybe there is more of a market than we are aware of. I think we should wait and see, there is a lot of speculation, but I have faith in Josh and the team to fight the good fight.

• HitFilmer150816
    HitFilmer150816 Posts: 28 Enthusiast

It's a tool. Get ready

• Dimipapa

My best guess is they are ironing out the details. I wouldn't be surprised if a subscription also came with access to artlist. Though I was never a huge fan of artlist. Their music wasn't bad, but finding it wasn't easy especially compared to epidemic which almost seems to read my mind. I like hitfilm too much to lose hope, So I'm gonna hope artlist brings in new users. If it must be subcription hopefully it's a fair price and winds up giving us more frequent updates.

• DrHansAPlast
    DrHansAPlast Posts: 14 Just Starting Out*

One year of meaningless infos, no special offers, no updates, no state infos, but for that, in German, "ein Haufen heiße Luft". Translated means: we get nothing but a puff of air, blowing off steam, load of wind. 

So i have complete switched to Davinci Resolve Studio and Sony Vegas, why should I wait for hitfilm ....

• Andersen01498

@DrHansAPlast I heard that Artlist is doing a commercial with FX home. I don't know how long that will take to make. I feel ripped off for the money I spent.

• assensy
    assensy Posts: 55 Enthusiast

I think they've already lost supporters, and lots of them. For over a year now, no information on what the future of HitFilm will be and what will be new in it. The latest news is from July, 2021.

• Triem23

@assensy to be fair, July 2021 to June 2021 is under a year, but, yeah, we've had/heard nothing since the release of 2021.3 in December, 2021.

• assensy
    assensy Posts: 55 Enthusiast

2021.3 is a patch, not a new version. Let's be honest and look at things realistically.

In one year the competition has worked wonders. Some time ago a comparison was made with Resolve and HitFilm. It is perfectly clear to me that the two products cannot be compared (neither in terms of product features nor number of developers and the financial status of the two companies), but this comparison was written by the HitFilm and Artgrid supporters. In one year Davinci Resolve has 13 or 14 updates and patches!

• Dimipapa

Black magic designs probably built up a lot of good will by giving away free versions of their software with few limitations next to the paid versions. Davinci resolve is for sure a better NLE than hitfilm. But I never use hitfilm NLE side I think of it as strictly a compositor. In that sense the black magic designs equivalent is Fusion which is perhaps the least intuitive software I've ever used.

• Dimipapa

I think they need to communicate more even if they give no details. They should hire a community manager and have a weekly update.

• Triem23

@Dimipapa they have a community manager, who, annoyingly, isn't doing much interaction with the community - except perhaps appearing in the Tik Tok videos.

• Andersen01498

@Triem23 this doesn't look good for FX home, since the merge. I hope they are not making false promises.....ugh this is kinda annoying.

• Andersen01498

I just got this from Twitter...ugh not a solid answer.

• Marden
    Marden Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Things are going the way I thought.

All the promises to keep us informed have fallen by the wayside. It needs to be corrected.

• Andersen01498

@KirstieT and @Aimee and whoever might read this. I just want to deeply apologize for the negative comments that I have made about FX home. I am actually quite pleased to see that FX home reads the comments for feedback. It was never my intention to be so negative. FX home is like a second family. I guess, I just need to watch what I say in the future. I have high hopes for this company! As a user that uses HF Pro frequently, I tend to get a little frustrated when that there are features that haven't been up to par compared to other software that I also use. Hitfilm in general is the go-to software for me. I want to be able to one day, completely dump the competition and use HF 100%. I have been using HF since HF version 3. It's pretty incredible to spot projects that I have done and say to myself, ha those were the days without the layout panel and etc. Keep up the good work, we cant wait to see what you bring us!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,757 Ambassador
    edited June 9

@KirstieT @Aimee Thanks for jumping in! It really helps to hear from the home office. Good luck with all the new goodness everyone is waiting for while we are chomping at the bit.

• Marden
    Marden Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    Apologies from me too. but I hope you can understand our frustration.