GPU comparison GTX to RTX

DataDesign
DataDesign Posts: 667 Enthusiast

It seems that the RTX 3080(i) is all the rage lately. However in the past weeks I have seen offers for systems (PC) that offer 3050, 3060, 3070, 3080 and now 3090. (the 3070 might be my imagination). I am also seeing many systems with GTX 1660, 1670, RX 6600 and RX 6700. Prices seem to be coming down slowly, but there are so many different models, you need a GPU Guru to know the differences and just as important the equivalent models of GTX and RTX, RX. I currently have a Nvidia1050 ti with 4gb memory. I am looking to upgrade my GPU but I don't think I need a 3090 for the small amount of video that I do. Maybe a 3050 would do just fine or maybe a 1660 or 6600. Gaaaaaaaahh!

Maybe someone here can help. Thanks.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,201 Power User

In general, never buy an nvida XX50. Those are always crap.

In general, the XX70 version of an Nvidia generation is the best power/price ratio. The xx60 is your low end, the xx80 is if you have money to burn and the xx90 is if you REALLY have money to burn.

Currently the 10xx series is min spec for Hitfilm. The 16xx is one generation up. I wouldn't recommend anything older than the 20xx.

• DataDesign

@Triem23 Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to compare the GTX 6700 to the RTX 30xx? Anything in a doc or on line?

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,623 Moderator

@DataDesign There’s a handful of sites that do GPU comparisons, usually comparing spec for spec and/or benchmark scores. For instance, this site lets you pit any 2 GPUs against each other:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-AMD-RX-6700-XT/4083vs4109

The problem with GPUs (and all computer parts) is that the manufacturers only support them with drivers and updates for about 5 or so years - even if the hardware itself is perfectly good and technically capable of handling new software. This is the real reason HitFilm can only support hardware for about 5-7 years. So we recommend recent cards not because you need ray-tracing, but because you’ll be able to keep your PC in service longer without needing to upgrade… which can potentially save you money in the long term.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,201 Power User
    edited May 19

The site @triforcefx linked would be my recommendation. Most testing sites use controlled systems only swapping out GPUs - which, in theory, should be a more accurate lab comparison, but user benchmark crowdsources results, so I feel it's a better "real world" comparison. User benchmark also has an app that can check your system components and give you more information on the performance you're getting relevant to the database and help identify bottlenecks.

For example, if you have a 6 year old CPU and mobo and pop in a 2022 GPU the old CPU/mobo will likely bottleneck your system and prevent the GPU from reaching optimal performance.

This is also useful for cost benefit or price/power analysis. Using the link above, the 3070 is benching about 25% higher than the 6700, but is 4% more expensive, arguably making the better value for money. On the other hand, the 3070 will probably hit end of life a year before the 6700.

• DataDesign