Is the Depth Matte effect broken?

rbuswell
rbuswell Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

According to the documentation, when you apply a Depth Matte effect to a layer and specify a source layer, it's supposed to create a greyscale depth map. What actually happens is that once the source layer is set, it creates a pure white plane, not a greyscale image. It doesn't matter if the layer is applied to a video, still or grade layer. It doesn't matter if the source layer is a video or still image, or if it is a 2D or 3D layer. Adjusting the sliders in the Depth Matte effect has no discernable effect either.

Is the effect broken, or is there something I need to add to make it work (i.e. parallax requires a light in the scene before you see it working.)?

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador
    edited May 12

Depth Matte is designed to work with 3D Model and 3D Particle Sim layers. If you extract the Depth data for a plane/photo/video layer you'll get a plane white matte because there is no depth data within those individual 2D layers.

EDIT Hold up, I need to look into this. Double checking the manual I see that it says the Depth Matte effect is supposed to extract Depth data from the colors in the image, but doesn't specify exactly how that's done.

UPDATE Yeah, it's broken. I can get a few pixels of black on a white mask, depending on the image, but, burying the source layer in it's own comp so I can preprocess it (contrast adjustments) make no difference to the Depth Matte effect, nor do any of the sliders.

What, exactly, are you trying to comp and what are your source layers? There may be other workflows. I'm not up on the Depth Matte/Mask effects because I've never needed them. I've had other workflows for dealing with occlusion.

• rbuswell
    rbuswell Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

I was experimenting with a concept of having waves on a beach reveal an imprint of my business logo on the sand. I put the logo in its own comp, the waves video in its own comp, and created a comp that masks out the logo when the foam is obscuring it using a set matte keyed to luminosity. What I was trying to achieve was the appearance of the logo being carved into the sandy beach and I was experimenting with both the caustics effect and the parallax effect. I thought the depth matte might be useful as the height map inside the caustics effect, but all I got was a white plane.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert
    edited May 12

@rbuswell You consider this video:

And try creating the map in GIMP (a free photoshop alternative) and import that into Hitfilm and source it. I have not done this or worked with depth maps so I could be barking up the wrong tree here.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador

@tddavis *sniff-sniff, cry-cry* Sheesh, man, you throw out a tutorial on Displacement mapping, and it's for GIMP, not the one I did for Hitfilm?

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

@Triem23 Having never done anything with it, I assumed it couldn't be done in Hitfilm since you said it was fubar at the moment and didn't think to search Hitfilm for it. 😁 Mea Culpa...