FXHome Hitfilm as alternative for After Effects?

meliodes
meliodes Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an alternative for all things Adobe. For the most part I have found good substitutes, except for After Effects. I have been looking at Hitfilm Pro because it looks like it works just like AFX, but I have never met anyone who uses it.

Do you have any experience using this?

PS: I'm aware of Nuke, Fusion and Natron, but for some stuff I like After Effects way more.

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,291 Ambassador

I guess it very much depends on what kind of stuff you do it want to do in AE to be able to compare with Hitfilm.

A couple of big differences are the use of the expressions in AE and the large amount of plug inns. Other than that it is now very similar.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,741 Ambassador

@meliodes HF is a very cost effective substitute for AE. And you buy it, not rent it as in the Adobe subscription model. Once you purchase the Pro version you own and and can run it forever. (There is also a free version called HF Express that can do most everything the Pro version can do on a basic level. Advanced features can be purchased ala carte as add-ons)

But as Andy said HF does not support expressions at this time.

I would suggest reviewing some tutorials on the FXHome site to get a feel for what HF can do. You can find those here: https://fxhome.com/video-tutorials#/

Also a free demo version of HF Pro can be downloaded here:

You get to try all the features, but will have a bug in the rendered output file.

• Gelqone
    Gelqone PolandPosts: 141 Enthusiast

Here you can see what can be done with HitFilm Pro:

Whole stuff is made in HitFilm Pro + Blender for 3D models + Titler Pro for some text animations.