Why is my video extremely choppy in the trimmer now?

CaptainAKS
CaptainAKS Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*
  • CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core Processor
  • GPU(s)- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
  • Operating System and version
  • Total RAM= 16.0 GB
  • Model name (if prebuilt or a laptop - Dell, Alienware, HP, etc)- custom build
  • Any relevant steps or events that led to the issue- When I try to view and trim videos before by playing them in the trimmer, the frames are jumping getting stuck and jumping far forward. The audio runs fine. This only recently started happening, and nothing changed with my video footage, or system (to my knowledge). I have edited several video projects with the exact same footage type and on this same PC on Hitfilm within the past couple years and the issue didn't exist then. To make sure that the footage I am now trying to use wasn't somehow messed up, I opened one of these previous projects, and sure enough they were also choppy in the trimmer now. The timeline viewer itself runs fine, as you can see in the latter half of the short clip I uploaded. My files are stored and worked on in my 4 TB spinning hard drive, and while I know an SSD may be better, I attempted to move a few as a test and work on them in Hitfilm from there, but the problem persisted. I also used to have the NVIDIA Game graphics driver, but at the recommendation of a friend to fix this issue, switched to the studio version.

If your issue involves anything graphical, you must also:

• Confirm drivers are up to date (see here for help)- Yes, NVIDIA Studio Driver
  • P 512.59rovide screenshots, recordings or videos to demonstrate the issue.

If your issue involves footage or assets, please also provide the following information on any footage - you can get a full breakdown using MediaInfo:

• Origin (screen recording, downloaded, etc)- taken on GoPro Hero 8 black (cinematic mode)
  • Frame rate mode (constant or variable, retrieved from MediaInfo): Constant
  • Frame rate and dimensions- 29.970 FPS , 3840 x 2160 pixels
  • Codec (h264, h265, etc): General= mp41, Video = avc1

Answers

• CaptainAKS
    CaptainAKS Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*

It appears some of what I added to this before posting it went away. My operating system is Windows 10 Pro , version 10.0.19044 Build 19044. Also attached is a video of the issue, and wanted to say thank you to anyone who is able to help! Can't wait to be back to a smooth workflow and make some videos!

• pro24
    pro24 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Not an answer but a me too. I'm completely new to Hitfilm and got it mostly so I could apply LUTs to my Insta360 One X videos after exporting from Insta Studio. I'd love to edit here as well if it worked reasonably. Unfortunately, playback is all stuttered as described by the OP. Audio is great.

I'm on the latest Window 10 running on an 11th gen i7 with 32GB and a 3080Ti so would expect

The typical file for me is 5760x2880 (5K), 25fps, 172Mbps total bit rate and 30 min long.

• JBaymore
    JBaymore Posts: 372 Enthusiast

I get very similar issues with Hitfilm Pro 2021.3+patch when playing many composite shots on the timeline frame. For me it all started when I changed from the 2021 to the 2021.3 build. I've got a decent machine too. Been talking to FXHome support.... no joy yet...and it's been a while.

best,.......................john

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,147 Enthusiast

I felt like when they released the 2021 version HF when to hell for performance-wise. I think they rushed the release, in my opinion.

• Beth
    Beth Staff NorwichPosts: 7 Staff

Hello @CaptainAKS, if you're still experiencing this issue, please send us in a support ticket here: https://fxhome.com/questions/submit :)