Videos look corrupted / render incorrectly

NilsOne
NilsOne Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

For quite a while now I have had problems when importing videos into new projects or opening old projects. With many videos, all I see is this:

The videos seem to be corrupted in some way, with there being these square parts which are jumbled up. Some frames of the videos are fine, but many are like this. It seems to only happen to videos filmed in portrait mode, as landscape videos show up fine, and only when I start scaling them. It hasn't always been like this; half a year ago I was able to use them normally. I have already updated to the most recent version. Has anyone had a similar problem / knows what to do?

Answers

• littlehausbigcity
    littlehausbigcity Posts: 124 Enthusiast
    edited May 2

We need, first off, what version of HF you are using, and your specs, as in, what CPU, GPU, memory etc. I bring this up is that if you've upgraded HF recently to the latest, and you are not to minimum specs, then this is a problem.

Also, have you upgraded your driver's? If not, then you will need to do that, and do not get them through Microsoft, but your graphics card vendor. I had to upgrade mine last year and got it from NVIDIA, even though it was made by PNY for example.

Also, what are you shooting from what I saw, are you shooting from a cell phone? If so, then you need to transcode as HF, and pretty much all NLE editors dislike variable frame rates, as the video from them tend to be variable and thus prefer constant frame rates, like 29.97 for NTSC for instance. Sadly, it's a bit time consuming but necessary process and is a 1:1, real time process and Handbrake is a good program to use for transcoding.

Please report back and hopefully others can chime in with further help.

• NilsOne
    I updated the version of HF yesterday to version 2021.3 (18.0.12407.12817), so I guess the newest one. My specs are the following:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor
    RAM: 24GB
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 590

As far as I know, these are all above the minimum specs for HF. I have also updated the drives but sadly that did not work.

The videos are shot from a cell phone (Xiaomi MI 9T), so it seems I have to transcode them with Handbrake, although it seems you can relink the videos so I won't have to redo my project.

What I find weird is that it worked fine six months ago. Also, sometimes the video looks fine, but when I rewind just a bit that same part looks corrupted again. On the videos Windows says that they are all different framerates (30.xx FPS), so I guess that means a variable frame rate. I think it's kind of a shame, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to batch transcode them with Handbrake.

Thanks for the answer!
  • littlehausbigcity
    littlehausbigcity Posts: 124 Enthusiast

Yes, a cell phone is variable as I previously said, and you are barely in spec for the latest, which is a patch for 2021.3 to fix an issue. Now, you can't even run a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 at all with the latest updates. 2021.2, that looked to still be the case that an i3 or Ryzen 3 can be used, but not now.

I occasionally have this glitch at first, but most of the time, my videos play fine and I'm considered likely marginal on 2021.2. Sometimes it's when I'm viewing the raw footage via VLC player (it'll read H.265 footage fine).

The only thing I can think of is you may have been on the margins with the previous version, but even more now, hence why it is now suddenly not working.

• NilsOne
    I have transcoded the problem videos with Handbrake and relinked them in the project file, which didn't take too long. I'll just have to remember to do that when I use new videos. Thanks for the help.