Issues with NewBlueFX plugins & Titler inside HF3

SimonKJonesSimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
edited November 2014 in HitFilm
This discussion was created from comments split from: HitFilm 3 Pro out now.

Comments

• daveweinkaufdaveweinkauf Website User Posts: 7
    edited November 2014

I tried to report issues, but your instructions for doing so are confusing. Since I can't seem to find the proper place to report issues, this place will have to do. Again, I haven't had much time to work with HF3, but here are the problems I've run into so far....

(1) NewBlue Titler Pro doesn't work - it crashes the software

(2) NewBlue Video Essentials don't work. I'm asked to activate the software and when I try to do so, a window  comes up saying that the trial period is over (I never even got a trial period!) and that I have to purchase the software. You advertised plug-ins in the new version, but what we we seem to be getting is NewBlue "bait and switch."

(3) What are the plug-ins we're supposed to be getting with HF3? Can you provide us with a list?

(4) HF3 runs much slower than HF2.  It takes some time to even load effects. I also had to reduce resolution to get the program to speed up. I never had this problem with HF2.

I have HF3 installed on a recently updated workstation that runs Vegas, Lightwave, Fusion, Resolve, TV Paint, etc. without any problems and usually at full resolution. Right now HF3 doesn't work for me - I've had to go back to HF2. Sadly, if the problems I and others have raised can't be corrected in the next couple of weeks, I will be asking for a refund. Don't get me wrong.... I want to stay with the new version, but right now this new version is worthless to me. Please provide me with incentives to keep the softtware.

My workstation - Windows 7 Pro 64bit; AS Rock Extreme X79 motherboard; Intel Core i7 4930K CPU; Samsung 250gb SSD; 32-gig RAM; GeForce GTX 780 graphics card wiith 6-gig RAM.

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff

Hi @daveweinkauf - we're working with NewBlue about getting their plugins operational in HitFilm but its not as simple as them just working immediately when it comes to OpenFX plugins - each host is different and it probably requires development effort both ends.

The plugins which come with HitFilm are all listed here http://hitfilm.com/pro/plugins - they are compatible with Vegas, Premiere, After Effects and FCPX.

When you say HF3 is slower could you provide us some specific examples? We're getting reports both ways at the moment, some sayings its faster, some slower - if we can isolate the cases we can make sure we're working on an update. :)

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

hey @daveweinkauf- I've split off your report into a separate post and put it in the appropriate place, thanks.

I've also clarified the 'how to report issues' post so that it actually links to the appropriate place. I should have included that to begin with!

edited November 2014

Simon,

Thanks for the quick response. Here are my reactions to your note...

NewBlue plugins - These should have been made operational before HF3 was released. They make HF3 look like it's still in beta.

Your plug ins page - most if not all of the plugins listed on that page are already in HF2. Where is the list of NEW plug ins you've added to HF3?

The "How to report issues" post still doesn't work. The link takes you to a page that says... "The page you are looking for might have been moved or may not even exist."

Slow speed - Many of the effects take some time to load and work with a simple clip in HF3. I don't have this problem with HF2.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

As Josh says, we're working directly with NewBlue to get their plugins working properly soon. There's been a lot of interest from NewBlue/HitFilm users so I'm sure they'll be keen to get everything up and running.

The 130 plugins consist of the same collection from the previous HitFilm Plugins product (which used to sell for $499). We'll be looking to update the plugins included with HitFilm 3 Pro with the new HF3 effects in a free update.

Good point about the link in the post. Thanks.

Which specific effects are being slow? When you say 'take some time to load', do you mean they take longer to render in the Viewer after you've added it to a layer? If you could be more specific about which effects and the steps you're taking to use them I can then look at replicating it here to see what's going on.

You should have been clearer in what you advertised to get us to buy HF3. You made it sound like there were 130 plug ins added to the new version not plug ins from a package many of us didn't pay money to buy. I'm still confused. What specific new plug ins were added to HF3? What new plug ins will be added to HF3 in an update? Will that update cost money?

I tried most of the effects so I can't give you any specifics. Let me say that most of the slowness comes when I try to play the clip with the imbedded effect. I sometimes have to wait before anything plays.

Hey @daveweinkauf,

We're looking into any performance issues very actively but we're yet to reproduce any here... but we are checking everything! :) If you can give us a specific case, just one or two effects, and the changes you're experiencing we'll get right on it.

Once we can reproduce something the dev team will attack it and as there will be updates before Christmas the sooner we can confirm these issues the quicker they'll be resolved.

HitFilm 3 Pro has 20 new effects and absolutely tons of new features all listed here > http://hitfilm.com/pro/whats-new

One of those new features is all the plugins we now offer for 3rd party software which we know many of our users are using alongside HitFilm.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,244 Staff
    edited November 2014

Prior to Hitfilm 3, we offered Hitfilm and HitFilm plug-ins as separate products. You could get Hitfilm as standalone software, or you could get the plug-ins, which ran inside host applications such as After Effects, Vegas, or FCPX, allowing you to access 130 effects from within those apps.

With Hitfilm 3 Pro, we combined them, so that everyone who buys Hitfilm gets both the standalone app, and the plug-ins to run in third party hosts. This gives everyone more workflow options, at a more affordable cost. A list of the plugins, and which host applications they are compatible with, is available here: http://hitfilm.com/pro/plugins

But the plug-ins don't run in Hitfilm, they are versions of Hitfilm effects that can be run in other software. For a list of new effects that were added to hitfilm 3 Pro, check out the What's New page: http://hitfilm.com/pro/whats-new

Hopefully that clarifies things for you, but do let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks for the info on the plug ins.

I  would love to give you specifics on the issues I've raised, but starting in about a half hour I'll be taking a trip and away from my computer for about a week.

@daveweinkauf In that case I hope you have a good trip.

If you have a chance when you return we would really appreciate any information you can provide us about the issue and we'll do our best to solve it as soon as we can. :)

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

Any word yet on NewBlue plugins?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador
    edited September 2015

NewBlue's newest plug-in versions are actually officially listed with Hitfilm as a supported host. This includes Titler Pro 4. The previous versions of NewBlue's plug-ins and Transistions all seem to work in Hitfilm, except Titler Pro 3, which will just crash the system.

Incidentally, NewBlue's website needs a slight update. Hitfilm IS a compatible host now, and SOME pages indicate this, while others don't. Kinda like how how Imagineer's website's comparison chart still is listing specs for the Mocha Hitfilm that came with Hitfilm Ultimate 2, not the upgraded, more fully-featured Mocha Hitfilm for Hitfilm Pro 3.

Hitfilm is still the redheaded stepchild of the VFX world. Except some folks forget that redheads are sexy. ;-)

Doh my old bundle that came with sony vegas 11 or 12 doesn't work:(

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

That might have been two revisions ago?

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,953 Enthusiast

I have NewBlue Elements 3 Ultimate, Stylizers 3 Ultimate and Transitions 3 Ultimate and they all seem to work fine in  Hitfilm 3 Pro. Titler Pro 4 works fine.

I had some old versions of NewBlue, pre-Ultimate era, and if my memory serves me something there did not work.

They load into hitfilm, and when I drag the effect on, it works but gets a NEwblue watermark on the image and says activate under the control panel.  When I click activate it has an error

You might have to activate in Vegas. One fun thing I have encountered with NewBlue is their effects love to deactivate themselves. I don't know how many times I have had to reactivate NewBlue plug-ins from the same installation on the same computer, but it seems to be every few months. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,953 Enthusiast

The old NewBlue plug-ins installed a Manage Activation app, one for each plug-in group, and you can activate from there if you have problems activating from an OFX host. When they first installed they ran that automatically but you can do it anytime.

The new stuff has a single app for all plug-ins.

This discussion has been closed.