Is there any way to adjust Behaviours ?

ZAY
ZAY Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

Just download Hitfilm Pro Demo and testing to buy.

Trying to create a simple text with a behaviours called Down Dir Insert. The issue is that the text can see at 0 frame and no idea how to adjust. How can I adjust.

Regards

Tagged:

Best Answer

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,140 Enthusiast
    Answer ✓

@ZAY Try using paragraph text. The Down Dir Insert behavior effect seems to take descenders into account with paragraph text.

You create paragraph text by drawing a bounding box with the text tool.

If you convert your point text to paragraph text, right click menu, you will likely need to resize the bounding box. The default bounding box from the conversion chops off the descenders.

With point text, that the behavior and the conversion to paragraph both disregard the descenders is something of a trend IMO.

Answers

• NormanPCN
    edited March 4

First Question. Adjust exactly what?

Down Dir Insert is an animation that reveals the text from the top to down (within the text render box). Whenever you add an effect of some kind the controls panel has effects properties to allow you to tweak the effect. Your screenshot show this.

The revel length property controls the duration/speed of that reveal. The slider goes from 0 to 50%, and you can drag over the number to take the 50 up to 100% for an even slower reveal.

Many times the slider does not operate over the full range of a property but over a common more typical range. Editing the field directly or dragging the mouse gives access to the full range. Things like this are discussed in the manual.

• ZAY
    Sorry, my question was not clear. The screen shot is attached again with clear question. The tail of the text is appearing at frame 0 and I would like them to disappeared. Can I adjust it ?
  • NormanPCN

"Can I adjust it ?"

I doubt it. The algorithm for that effect obviously is not taking descenders into account. The text baseline is positioned at the top of the text bounding box. This is pretty common in text formatting. Meaning that descenders draw outside (below) the the boundary of the text. In typical text formatting they draw into the line spacing (or leading).

Fine for text formatting, but for a motion graphic effect that is attempting what this effect is attempting then maybe it should have taken the full printable text bounding box.

Well it does not. This means you would need to do the animation yourself with a mask. This is not something I have done. One can have a mask on a track/layer and animate the mask but this is stationary text being revealed. Moving the text/layer moves the mask with the layer. This effect basically has a fixed mask and moving the text into the mask, revealing the text. You probably have to do that in a composite timeline and use the Set Matte effect. @FilmSensei @Triem23 any ideas?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,608 Ambassador
    edited March 5

I've never used that Behavior*. I'd just create a small plane layer, move it into position to conceal the text, hide it and stick a Set Matte on the text to hide the text where it overlaps the plane and hand animate...

I haven't explored behaviors as much as I should have.

*OK, once, when I looked at all the Behaviors to see what they do.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,608 Ambassador

@NormanPCN good note. I'll have to bookmark this thread to retrieve that datum later.

Mid move, currently don't have access to my Hitfilm PC.

• ZAY
    @NormanPCN Thanks a lot for the solution. Really appreciate it. It work.