Want to remove audio from a video

paulcybercitizen
paulcybercitizen Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

I shot some videos with my phone, and I want to remove the audio from them. Is that possible with HitFilm Express? If so, what are the steps involved? I'm using the latest version of HitFilm Express on Windows 10. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus, and the video files are .mp4.

The environment for HitFilm Express is -

Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2; NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5; 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8 700 6-Core Processor (12MB Cac he, up to 4.6 GHz); 32 GB of RAM - DDR4, 2666MHz

Answers

• assensy
    assensy Posts: 55 Enthusiast

In the editor, right-click on the video and select Unlink. The audio can then be deleted. In the compositing editor right-click Options > Mute

• paulcybercitizen
    Thanks for the information. I have a follow-up; when I right click the video in the editor, the options menu only has an item for motion blur. Do I need an add-on for the mute option? One other question, when I created the project, I accepted the defaults. Is there some way I need to confirm that the resolution and format and so forth that is selected for the project matches the .mp4 I shot with my phone?
  • paulcybercitizen
    I tried to attach a screenshot of the output of MediaInfo for the video from my phone
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,757 Ambassador

@paulcybercitizen What we would need from Media info is under the View tab and select either Tree or Text. Text makes it easier to cut and paste.

This is what you should see when you right click on a video clip in the editor (below). If you don't need to actually remove the audio track then as @assensy said you can mute the entire track by clicking on the little speaker icon to the left. If you just want to make the audio track for one particular clip silent, and not affect the others, then click the audio track, go to the Controls panel and drag the level slider all the way to the left.

• Stargazer54
    edited February 25

In addition, the video from your phone (and other consumer devices) is going to be Variable Frame Rate. A video editor wants video clips to be Constant Frame Rate. So at some point you may be faced with skipping frames and unsynced audio. Best to transcode your video to CFR. Handbrake is an often recommended utility for this.

• paulcybercitizen
    I see where clicking the speaker icon can mute the audio. What I really want to do is remove the audio, apparently muting doesn't actually remove it. So if I right-click either the video or audio and select unlink, then right-click again on the audio and select remove, it removes both the video and the audio. Once it only removed the audio, but every other time it removes both. Is there any reason why it removes both video and audio when I right-click audio and select remove?
  • paulcybercitizen
    Also, I copied the text from MediaInfo as suggested from the View tab:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\paulc\Documents\HitFilm Express Sample Videos\Sample Video.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
    File size : 385 MiB
    Duration : 3 min 25 s
    Overall bit rate : 15.7 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-23 18:18:15
    Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-23 18:18:15
    com.android.version : 12

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : [email protected]
    Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 15.5 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 29.823 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 15.040 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 30.110 FPS
    FrameRate_Real : 30.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.250
    Stream size : 378 MiB (98%)
    Title : VideoHandle
    Language : English
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    mdhd_Duration : 205177
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Source duration : 3 min 25 s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 6.26 MiB (2%)
    Source stream size : 6.26 MiB (2%)
    Title : SoundHandle
    Language : English
    mdhd_Duration : 205152
  • Stargazer54

As expected your video is Variable Frame Rate and should be transcoded to Constant FR.

If you unlink the audio and video - make sure you don't select both somehow when you are trying to delete one. After unlinking, click somewhere else on the timeline to deselect both. The just click the audio track and delete it.