Why does Hitfilm brighten some shots after exporting?

roncleck
roncleck Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

I'm working on a project for a film class, and for some reason Hitfilm Express increases the brightness at completely random moments. Sometimes a shot will be brighter, then go back to normal brightness in the same shot. I don't have any effects on these shots and it's been happening with almost every single project I have. There is no solution that I could find on these forums, and I'm starting to get insanely frustrated. It is a clear problem with Hitfilm, not my video players or YouTube.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• littlehausbigcity
    littlehausbigcity Posts: 124 Enthusiast
    Answer ✓

OK, using the newest version of HF, check the specs for the minimum. You need to know when your PC was built/bought as being an Intel Mac, it may be on the margins or below spec as the latest requires the 6th gen Core i5 and above (2016) or Ryzen 5 and up (2017).

You don't state what graphics card you have or if it's integrated and it needs to be the minimum of 2GB (or 4GB for anything above 4k) from 2016 from either NVIDIA, AMD or Intel, or best to have 8GB of dedicated memory from either AMD or NVIDIA from 2018 and up.

You barely squeak by with Big Sur for the OS though.

Check out the specs here. https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm-express The specs I think are the same for pro as well as express, but not certain of that.

As for the issues at hand, not seen that myself and I'm not exactly to spec even with 2021.2.

• roncleck
    Answer ✓
    Yes I think the VRAM was the main issue, since my integrated graphics are only 1.5 GB. I transferred my project and files to another computer with 8 GB VRAM and that solved the issue. For some reason I thought this Mac had enough VRAM for editing, but it doesn't meet the min requirements for almost every editing software. Thanks for the help!

Answers

• roncleck

Also, there appears to be no problem in the editor. This only happens with the exported project.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador
    edited February 22

Please list your system spec per the sticky at the top of the forum.

Also, which version of HF - Express or Pro?

What you are describing is not normal behavior. There may be an issue with hardware or it may have something to do with the video file format. Please also include some details about where your video files came from.

FYI consumer grade recorders such as phones use proprietary encoding schemes and shoot in Variable Frame Rate. The editor wants files to be Constant Frame Rate. While this may not be the current problem you should be aware that transcoding footage to CFR is highly recommended. There are multiple 3rd party utilities that can do this but Handbrake is one that gets recommended a lot.

• roncleck
    CPU: 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
    macOS Big Sur Version 11.4
    Ram: 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
    Macbook pro

My footage is a constant 23.976fps, 1920x1080p, h.264 Codec, from my Canon EOS 550D DSLR.

In this video at 0:36 you can see the walls of the room change from visible to completely dark. It should be completely dark for the whole shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dceth1momUs
  • roncleck
    Also I'm using the newest version of Hitfilm Express
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador

Thanks for the time mark or I would have completely missed seeing the issue. Looks like the contrast abruptly changes somehow. As stated above, the VRAM on the GPU is below minimum spec and could possibly account for the problem.

Looks like the responses to this thread have come in out of order?

Updating drivers would be my next suggestion. However, reading through this FAQ - https://fxhome.com/faq/how-do-i-update-graphics-drivers - updating MacOS drivers might be problematic and you may have to refer to the Mac tech at your school for assistance, if this is a school machine. They might be able to push out an updated driver if there is one available.