Issues using Lens Reframe effect

Cany0n
Cany0n Posts: 3 Just Starting Out
edited January 22 in HitFilm

Hi,

I'm trying to use the recently added GoPro Lens Reframe effect in Hitfilm Express but I'm having a couple of issues.

Problem 1:

When I change the Projection to Source Image, nothing changes and the image does not fill the screen (see big black box below). This is using a 4:3 4000x3000 video within a 16:9 4K timeline.

Problem 2:

When I zoom out within the reframe effect to see the borders of the video, the extra space is stretched and blurred instead of just showing as black space (as I've seen it does in other video editors). Is there any way to change this?

HitFilm Express Version 2021.3

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador

The GoPro Lens Reframe effect is designed to work with GoPro Max 360° (or other 360°) video, and is, effectively, an upgraded version of older 360° Viewer effect.

From the manual:

"The GoPro Lens Reframe plugin is used to reframe 360º video footage captured with GoPro cameras. It requires your footage to be imported in an equirectangular format using an aspect ratio of 2:1."

Obviously, you don't have 360° video, so you're not getting the results you expect.

If you were in Pro, or if you have the proper Express add-on, you can try the "Action Cam Reframe" effect. You can also try the Crop & Pan effect. You can also try the tried and true method of keyframing the Scale and Position parameters of the clip.

• Cany0n
    It was my understanding that the reframe plugin is not just for use with 360 footage - as they show here:

https://youtu.be/OuWJjy-fXkA

Functionally the plugin in Hitfilm Express appears the same as in the video? But it's not behaving quite the same.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador

Right, because it's not the same.

• Cany0n
    Right - fair enough. But changing the projection to source should still do something right?