Resolution support for 360VR 3D video editing for Oculus Quest 2

I am using blender to create 360VR 3D video clips for my Oculus Quest 2.

I then use Hitfilm to stitch these clips together add other pictures and audio and export the final movie.

Finally I inject metadata to load the video on to Youtube.

Hitfilm currently limits resolution to 4096 x 2048 which fortunately is 2:1, as it must be.

To allow 3D the two screens need to be separate which requires 4096 x 4096 resolution, so I wondered if custom resolution like this could be added in the future?

These are the standard Oculus resolutions:

Thanks

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,555 Ambassador
    edited January 12

@chrisowen This sounds like a Feature Request. I would suggest creating one here so that the devs will see it:

Also please list your system specs and which version of HF. There is a resolution limit for Express. Per the manual: Regardless of hardware, the maximum resolution available in HitFilm Express is 4K DCI, 4096 × 2160.

Pro supports resolutions up to 8K but can be limited by the amount of VRAM on your GPU.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,244 Ambassador

That said, chances are this Feature Request most likely won't be implemented. The 4096x2160 resolution cap in Express is by design. Hitfilm Pro will do 4096x4096, or higher resolutions (depending on your GPU VRAM). 8k and beyond.

The 4k DCI cap in Express is one of those things deliberately done to differentiate the products. It's one of the 70-odd Pro-exclusive features and Effects.