Hitfilm only exports a black screen, sorta?

kittykicks93
kittykicks93 Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

Ok, for some reason my other posting on this was deleted, BUT here goes nothing! I have HitFilm Express 2021.3 I think

(I'm updated to the latest because it just updated about two days or so ago) and before the update I was able to export my videos with no problem even though I'm probably on a lower end of the spectrum for running it. I had to tweak it some, but I was able to do it. Now I can't do it at all! It seems to pick favorites.

What I mean by that is, say I have an overlay video and another video under it from my 4K action cam. If I blend them I can see them in the viewer, but in the export I only see one or the other. The audio is fine as well as the duration of the video.

I have tried the in and out, contents, exporting as different things like the action camera presets and youtube ultra definition, but none of that seems to work no matter what tweaks I make to it. I even set the clips to content and nothing. I have been looking on forums and finding no help on any of them. The clips are all on my editing timeline and I have even tried selecting all of them and exporting with no luck and I've made sure the bar on top of the timeline is framing the entire sequence so nothing is getting removed. As I said the audio is all there, but most of the clips are missing.

I have below specs about my computer and I am running on Windows 10. I have all my drivers updated as well the only update I have to get is Windows 11.

Answers

• kittykicks93
    edited January 9

I have exported files previously without much of a problem besides needing to tweak some settings, but now it seems it's only picking favorites! By that I mean I have multiple videos (two) blended to overlap on a one minute clip and even though I see them on the viewer I end up only seeing one video displayed on the actual export along with audio and not the blended videos I see in the viewer. One is just a VHS overlay (add some distortion and things to the clip) and the other is a video I took on a 4k action cam.

I have tried In-and-Out, contents, exporting to a file. I've selected all clips and audio and tried each again. I tried youtube UHD, youtube, both go pro export options, I even added all clips to content. Any way I seem to put it it seems like it just picks a favorite clip and lets it be seen but not the other. Both are set to blend, screen.

I'm probably towards the minimum specs on my laptop, but as I said before I've done it before with no problems. I updated though and for some reason no amount of tweaking is working...SOS!

PS this is Hitfilm Express 2021.3 I believe (it updated a day or two ago)

Also another edit, I'm on Windows 10!

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert
    edited January 9

@kittykicks93 As soon as I saw you mention a deleted post I went to the SPAM queue and found that you had accidentally flagged it so I restored it and merged the two threads. Be aware, Windows 11 is not yet supported OS for Hitfilm so take that into account. If you could show a screen shot of your project timeline it would greatly help, but as a guess, I think, the opacity layer of the other layer might have been accidentally dragged down or turned off in some manner. Seeing the layout would help here. I assume this is layered in the Editor timeline and not a composite shot because in a composite the order of the layers is important; you would want the overlay layer to on top of the other since it works from the top down. Hope these suggestion help you out or points you in the right direction.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,603 Ambassador

To reiterate something @tddavis said - DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11.

Hitfilm doesn't support it yet, there are known bugs with HF and Win 11, and you'll have no solution.

In general, never update to a 'full number' version of Windows in the first year it exists. My sister in law is a Microsoft dev and their corporate culture is to release on a scheduled date whether or not the product works. Full number updates always have major problems. For example, Windows 10 launched with no printer drivers. At all. Win 7/8/8.1 drivers didn't work either. The proper description of this situation would violate forum rules...

So don't do it. You won't be happy. Wait till at least service pack 1. Aka "fixed it!"

• kittykicks93
    edited January 11
    I have no plans to upgrade to windows 11 anytime soon! I was just saying that to really bring home that everything is up to date :)

Below is a screenshot of the timeline I don't have composite shots on there it's just the clips themselves direct from the media folder that I have sliced. The text layers (quite a few) come through fine without issue and the VHS overlay comes through without issue but the one set of videos does not come through I have labelled which ones do and don't!

And yes I am aware my video clip at the top doesn't start right at 0 sec which is intentional.
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,757 Ambassador

@kittykicks93 Are u using some sort of utility to reply to the forum rather than opening straight away in a web browser? Whatever it is, it's embedding HTML code instead of your message.

• tddavis

@kittykicks93 Are clicking here? It should open a windows to let you search your computer for the image you want to attach then put it in the reply when click ok.

• kittykicks93
    edited January 11
    I'm literally on chrome browser adding these things and it's doing the embedding stuff so I'm not sure?

Now it isn't even giving the option to attach photo or file it's just plain old "leave a comment"

Sorry for spamming this, but yes to clarify I tried both attach a photo like the photo icon and also the paper clip to attach file they both embedded code instead and now it isn't even giving me the option and I'm using Chrome does that matter?
  • tddavis

@kittykicks93 Chrome is what I used above so it should not matter. Sorry you are having such a frustrating time with the Forum.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,757 Ambassador

@kittykicks93 You should be able to do a copy/paste directly into the message window. Normally I'll be in a paint program (e.g. Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro), do a Select All, Ctl C and then place the mouse cursor in the Forum message window and Ctl V (Paste)

• kittykicks93
    I tried edge and chrome both again even restarted the PC and it still isn't giving me the option again to post a screenshot even though it did at the initial posting and those other embedded texts ones. This is very frustrating...almost as much as this export problem.
  • Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast
    edited January 11

@kittykicks93 - I tidied up this thread removing duplicate and broken posts. You may have been incorrectly flagged as spamming due to lots of posts in a short space of time, but I cannot see any actionable items on your forum account.

If you are still having trouble with the software, you can contact support here.