Hitfilm Express Mocha Tracking Help Needed

10x4
10x4 Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

Hi All. I am using the Mocha plugin in Hit film Express and I have tracked some footage with it and it tracks very well, however when it comes to exporting tracking data using the Hit film Corner Pin option, and then re-importing it back in to hit film only half of my corner pin tracking information is keyframed and plays back properly, after say 50% of the keyframed sequence has played, the corner pins do not appear to work and this is my issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

Tagged:

Best Answer

• laconstantedeplanck
    laconstantedeplanck Posts: 103 Enthusiast
    Answer ✓

Hi 40! (10x4) welcome to the FXhome forum :)

I've worked with Mocha for some time now, so I might have a guess on what's going on. The very first thing you need to check is that Mocha is actually tracking the right portion of the clip you want to track. That means no red portion on the tracking bar:

If you only need a portion of that clip to be tracked, then be sure you set the out point of the layer you're tracking (the ']' icon).

If that's not the case and you are tracking the whole clip in Mocha but then HitFilm isn't showing all the tracking data, that might be caused because the clip sent to Mocha is a trimmed version of the actual clip within HitFilm, so you're tracking 100% of the Mocha footage but that's only the 50% of a longest /untrimmed video in HitFilm. You might want to check the number of seconds/frames of your composite shot clip and then do the same in Mocha, to be sure it's the exact same number.

Hope this helps

Answers

• 10x4
    Hi laconstantedeplanck. Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction to help with the issue I was having. It seems to be just what I was overlooking. Much appreciated!

P.s It only took me about 10x4 hours to get it right LOL
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

Mocha, when you're new to it, is a bit of a mystery until you get comfortable with it.

When dealing with tracking, roto and corner pinning it's what to do AFTER that that changes depending on your host (Ae vs Resolve, Nuke, Hitfilm, etc), but the bits you do in Mocha itself are always the same. There are many tutorials on the Boris or Mocha Pro YouTube channels on tracking. Most of them are Ae or Nuke, but the MOCHA portions of the tutorials - which are all where the actual tips for tracking come in - apply just as well to Mocha Hitfilm.

• 10x4
    Thanks Triem23, yes Mocha was a big learning curve however with patience I have figured out how to track tricky shots successfully which is a good first step. However corner pinning with quad warp seems to only work for around half of the sequence. The other half of the tracked footage has keyframes that do nothing (in Hitfilm)

My workflow is this - Import footage to Hitfilm and create a composite shot from it, then launch Mocha plugin and track it. Export tracking data as Hitfilm corner pin and import the mocha composite shot, I see the blue place holder plane corner pins working but when played back, the corner pins keyframes only work for half of the sequence. Then revert to a basic position. Ver frustrating.

Like I say, any suggestions to help correct this issue would be great

Thanks in advance!
  • 10x4
    I think I have found the issue I was having. So by making a composition of the full length clip and applying Mocha plugin to it worked out. Prior to this I was not using the full length of the clip and it was the problem.. glad to finally put a pin in this!
  • laconstantedeplanck
    laconstantedeplanck Posts: 103 Enthusiast

I'm glad you solved it :) Yeah that was what I was trying to explain. Trimmed shots and Mocha can be tricky. Be mindful when using Mocha on a trimmed shot