Play by space bar not working after update 2021.3

howthecrowflies
howthecrowflies Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Hi,

I've just updated to 2021.3 and I can't do the most basic thing which is to play. Other keyboard actions work. I'm using it when window is active. File works when playing from trimmer so not the file, also tried with different files.

I have two keyboards, neither work. I have tried reprogramming the shortcut to something else.

I have restarted the computer twice, the programme three times.

No luck.

Please help as now I can't work.

Thank you! πŸ’

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador

@howthecrowflies Thanks for the system specs - but still need to know which GPU you have.

What happens when you click the Play arrow under the Viewer window?

Also, not sure I understand what you mean by "two" keyboards. Do you have them both connected at the same time or do you mean you have tried each one - one at a time? If you are trying to use 2 keyboards at the same time I could see that could confuse things.

If you have made changes to assigning keyboard shortcuts you might need to go back and reset to defaults - File, Options, Shortcuts, Restore 'Shortcuts' Defaults (at the bottom of the window).

At any rate, it might be worth uninstalling HF, reboot, then try re-installing. If you still can't get it sorted the next step would be to put in a support ticket with FXHome - https://fxhome.com/ask

• howthecrowflies
    howthecrowflies Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    Hi @Stargazer54 thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Pressing play on the viewer window seems to have sorted it out -I didn't even look at it because I was working with audio! D'uh.
    Earlier, when I pressed play on the trimmer window, the audio played but the playhead didn't move with music nor did the space bar start it, even after making sure the window was active. Everything seems to have reconnected after pressing play in the viewer window, either that or the billionth restart worked. Thanks 🀍 I will go and calm down now.πŸ™„
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,758 Ambassador

@howthecrowflies Glad you got it going! Just for completeness, what is your GPU?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,604 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 since @howthecrowflies shared a screen shot from Windows, I think we can assume the GPU is the HD 630 built into that i7.

Howthecrowflies one thing about Hitfilm is keyboard shortcuts are "panel dependent." The last panel clicked on is the "active panel" and the current active panel determines what keyboard shortcuts work. When the Timeline and Trimmer panels are active, [SPACE] starts/stops playback. If, for example, the VIEWER is the active panel then [SPACE] will NOT start/stop playback. Why? Because the Viewer Panel should be active when creating text objects, and you don't want to be setting In/Out points, starting/stopping playback, assigning clips to fit to frame, or triggering other shortcuts when creating text.

Reading the thread it looks like you just had a panel active that didn't "turn on" [SPACE]. Now that you know how Hitfilm toggles keyboard shortcuts depending on the active panel, you'll be fine. πŸ‘