Lightwave users thread

chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

I notice there are some lightwave users in this forum. I thought it would nice to see a thread with people using lightwave and hitfilm to create their work or just see lightwave users in general, tips and trick, etc.

Comments

• TommyCampbellTommyCampbell Website User Posts: 35

Fellow Lightwave user here but I haven't tried putting anything from Lightwave into HitFilm yet. I would also love to hear from others who have.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,735 Ambassador

Yep, another Lighwaver, but don't have anything decent to show yet.  But I'm workin' on it. 

Anybody had any luck bringing in a an image sequence with alpha channel?

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Good to see you guys. I have a very nice short  history with lightwave even though I am using other 3d software for a while now, Lightwave still has a sweet spot in my heart.

So is there a way to have bi directional interchange of cameras, lights, nulls with HF and LW? That ability is in lw 11 and AE. I think the HF devs can easily create a plugin with lw because its text based scene format.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,735 Ambassador

Thanks for the image numbering tip, Tooshka!

I'll give that a try.

• TommyCampbellTommyCampbell Website User Posts: 35

Thanks for the numbering tip.

I really hope they implement reading multui-layer exr files sometime soon after the HF3 release. Between HitFilm, Motion and Fusion, my need for AfterEffects is getting smaller and smaller.

Yes multilayered exrs would be great.
    But I think fxhome is targetting more indie film people than 3d people so  multilayered exrs is not so much a priority for now. Too bad since compositing relies so heavily on embedded data on multilayered exrs such as buffers, material and object ids for masking, etc.
    I wish there was a way to create a poll on features that people would like to see first on the priority features to add.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

@chibi FxHome did a user survey in July (with a GoPro prize drawing as a bribe) and has a Wishlist thread on this forum. I have to assume that the new launch features in HFP3 were prioritized based off user feedback. 32-bit end to end workflow    must not  have ranked highly enough. 

Howeve, Simon and KristieT keep saying an FxHome goal for HFP3 is to be more iterative--in other words, more/faster updates and faster addition of new features. :-)  

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

I don't currently use lightwave, but I used to back on my Amigo Toaster (which I *think* I might still have somewhere), so will be interesting to see what goes on in this thread :)

Triem23
    Where is that thread? Would like to see what's on the list.

rgbii wow amiga stuff. I don't think I was even in highschool that time. Never seen one of those and never seen lightwave run on amiga.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,331 Ambassador

@chibi hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/comment/44198/#Comment_44198

I thinkthis one might go back to Hitfilm 1! 

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

@Chibi, thanks for reminding me how old I am :)

They were a lot of fun back in the day. Could hook up and sync three cameras and had a hardware chroma key device, so it could all be done live.

In other words, the Toaster was Tricaster v.1.0.

• TimLan635TimLan635 Website User Posts: 50 Enthusiast
    edited November 2014

Trivia about the Video Toaster:  It was developed (in part) by Brad Carvey, who is the brother of American actor Dana Carvey -- "Garth" of Wayne's World fame.  Dana said he developed the character of Garth based on his nerdy, older brother Brad. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Carvey

Hehe. Interesting stories guys.

I just saw Visual Effects breakdowns for "Category 5" on the movie wall by Platinum Platypus. They're a lightwave studio. They use Hitfilm??

Stomping through the LW forums I discovered this little thread about Houdini (and Houdini Indie for $199)

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143243-The-amazing-Houdini-reel-of-Spencer-Lueders-(-fluids-fire-and-smoke)

A post within the thread really caught my eye:

Of course that's full on Houdini (not Indie).   But it still kicks arse.

edited November 2014

Houdini is pretty highend stuff. Full nodal architecture. There's no comparison to lightwave. But the price is really high and its rental for indie.

Before this becomes x  app is better than z app.....are there studios that use lightwave and hitfilm together? I'm surprised Platinum Platypus video on the movie wall.

http://hitfilm.com/movies/view/534797530e7e2

• KadriKadri Website User Posts: 171
    edited November 2014

Hi. I use Lightwave too. This is my first try with Hitfilm and i was very pleased with Hitfilm on this. Strangely the biggest problem was with image sequences. Hitfilm could not import them sometimes.And i could not find why.I changed folder names, file names, numbering system, bit deps of images etc. In the end i used one image sequence that was stubborn to load by changing it to an uncompressed Avi file very quikly. This worked for that image sequence. The way that Hitfilm imports image sequences from looking at a folder then for an image of the sequence is the most what i want to be changed probably. This is the short animation that i made.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff

@Kadri - nice animation there! I like the intensity of the camera angle. Made my heart fault a little when it started falling over. But maybe I'm easily swayed - it does the same when Titanic topples :P

Thanks and LOL!

edited November 2014

@Kadri, nice work. Which elements are 3d and which are hitfilm?
    Regarding the import of image sequence we have the same problems. Wrote about improvements here

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/5719/announcing-hitfilm-3-pro/p17

"Has there been an improvement to the way HF3 imports image sequences?
    In hf2 when I import image sequences, it scans the whole folder and imports it as a single clip regardless if the images have the same filenames.
    So if I have separate image sequences of a car, bg, effects, HF will make that into one long clip instead of 3 separate clips.  The workaround is to create subfolders and import those subfolders one by one manually.

In AE, a user can work fast and pick an image that is part of a sequence and it imports automatically. It doesn't even have to be the first image on the sequence either since ae is smart enough to gather only the images that will be part of the clip and ignores the rest that have different filenames.

This is one workflow we do all the time and needs improvement. Or is there a way to do it similar to AE?"

edited November 2014

Thank you.

I exported the ground from Terragen as an obj file and rendered in Lightwave. and rendered the building too as another pass in Lightwave.
    All the other parts are made in Hitfilm.

Yes looks like i am not alone. But i wish that my problem was only the "not abble to pick the image sequence you like in a folder" Even with only one sequence  it could not import them. It was my first time using Hitfilm so there is room for "user error" of course :)  But i really doubt it. Even if there is a way this should be easy and working as choose and use like in many other programs.

Kadri

Oh I had that import problem before, too.
    https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4798/can-t-import-png-sequence-with-transparency#latest

its unpredictable but so far png is the most stable.

Thanks  Stargazer54.

I hope they can make it more stable as fast as possible Chibi.

As CedricBonnier suggested in another thread i have send the problematic files to support. Curious what the problem is.

Guys i was curious and tried another thing. I am not sure but the original PNG image sequence was from Lightwave. I used Xnview to convert to other file formats (after Hitfilm could not import the PNG's) This time i tried it with another program and changed the PNG' from Serif PhotoPlusX5 (i try to stay away from Photoshop and use different photo editors :) ) ones again to PNG's and gues what.Hitfilm could open them this time. Not sure but looks like a image format handling problem whatever the problem is.

• PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast

Lightwave User here as well!

Yeah some nice little and big ones whom you ask :) I am not sure too.I might wait for the next release too.

You all are reading the other threads around here maybe but for anyone reading my image sequence problem here above,  just to be sure, it looks like that it is a bug and they are working on it.