Where is the text icon in Hitfilm Express?

BonitoBae
BonitoBae Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hello all, I was wondering if the community can help guide me or direct me to an article that would help because I can not find the text icon in my Hitfilm Express application. Please see attached image. I circled where I used to see the Text icon but not anymore.

Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

You are using a version of HitFilm that’s at least 3 years old. If you are getting driver and OS updates, it is possible that a change on your system broke compatibility with the old software. You could try redownloading and reinstalling your software, however if that doesn’t work, there isn’t much that can be done unless you’re willing to roll back your system and not update it anymore, which is not recommended.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

@triforcefx I think you identified and overlooked the problem at the same time!

@BonitoBae as triforce said, you're using a version of Hitfilm several years old. From before text layers could be used in the Editor Timeline. You'll need to make a Composite Shot to create text layers.

Since this is your first visit to the forum, I will ask a few questions. First, I assume this is a new installation of Hitfilm? Yet, it's an old version. Did you download and install from FXhome or another site? If from FXhome, their site would have pointed you to the most recent, so - were you pointed to older Installers on Reddit, Discord or Facebook? If you did NOT download the software from FXhome it's likely that you don't have a proper activation license and will run into problems when trying to Export.

Secondly, what are your system specs? CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and Storage. We'll try to point you to the most recent version suitable for your hardware.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,566 Moderator

@Triem23 Ahh indeed, text in the editor was introduced in HitFilm 12, which is also when the interface changed. I was thrown off when OP said "I circled where I used to see the Text icon but not anymore."

@BonitoBae Triem is correct, the version you are using does not have Text in the editor, only in composite shots.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador