Are the 2021.3 new effects pro-only? They aren't labeled as such in the HitFilm manual

laconstantedeplanck
laconstantedeplanck Posts: 92 Enthusiast

Hello there!

I've just read the 'what's new' page of the latest HitFilm Express update (2021.3) and I was wondering if the new effects added (Rough Edges, Water Caustics, Edges Distortion and Pencil Sketch) will be available as an add-on for HitFilm Express, as I've seen they appear in the HitFilm Express Reference manual without the blue PRO-ONLY label, but they don't appear in HFE's what's new page nor the add-on store.

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,339 Moderator

I believe @AxelWilkinson is still the manual writer. The lack of the Add-on or Pro-only label was most likely just a simple oversight. Notably, I don't think Express had gotten any new add-on packs since the Puppet Tool in 2018, so they are probably considered Pro-only for now. I'm not sure if the lack of new add-ons is to better differentiate Pro and Express, or because they've focused more on features than effects and until recently there hasn't been enough new effects to justify new add-ons. There could also be unknown technical reasons for it (ie., what happens when you buy an add-on pack but you use a version of HitFilm that came out before that add-on was created?)

• laconstantedeplanck
    laconstantedeplanck Posts: 92 Enthusiast

Thanks @triforcefx, yeah it also seems an oversight to me. I haven't installed the update yet (I'm still on 2021.1) so I'm unsure if the effects are already present on Express, but I don't think they will as Page Curl and Page Turn were both included in Express in 2021.2, so maybe these new effects are pro-only.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,339 Moderator

@laconstantedeplanck I checked it and they are not in Express.