Stardust for Hitfilm?

Esbro
Esbro Posts: 3 Enthusiast

Hi there,

Not sure what it is ... but I kinda have a thing for particles!

Does anyone know if Hitfilm will work with the 'Stardust' After Effects plugin from Superluminal? ( https://superluminal.tv )

I was planning on getting Trapcode Particular until I saw that you can't buy it standalone any more and only as part of a suite (which is way out of my price range given my frequency of use.)

I haven't been able to find any reference to it in the hf forums so I suspect it can't but I just wanted to be sure. Seems like it's quite good & much simpler than Particular. Might be a useful compliment to HF at some point in the future.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Stephen

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,067 Ambassador

Stardust will not work with Hitfilm.

Very few Ae plug ins work with Hitfilm (due to core differences between the programs, it's very difficult to make any Ae plug ins work in Hitfilm). Only a few specific plug ins work on Hitfilm including.

• Element 3D
    • VC ORB
    • VC Saber.

There are a couple more I'm forgetting, but no more than three.

Note to use any third party add ons in Hitfilm (barring Mocha Hitfilm and Boris BCC) requires Hitfilm Pro, which, of course, has Hitfilm's particle sim.

• Esbro

Ok - many thanks for confirming!

• Manhit
    Manhit Posts: 51 Enthusiast
    edited November 24

Hi @Esbro

I am not sure that it would be of interest but have you looked at Particle Illusion from Boris FX? I used the free version to generate particle effect animations with alpha channel that I composited over video in Hitfilm. You can use the Hitfilm motion tracker to keep it pinned to your subject. Particle Illusion has tons of customizable presets and you can create your own from scratch.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,067 Ambassador

@Manhit Particle Illusion has been one of my favorite tools since about 2004. Love it.

You see a lot of particle illusion in that decade's anime and a lot of Adult Swim shows. Especially the first few seasons of Robot Chicken.

• Esbro

@Manhit Thanks for the info about Particle Illusion - I'll be sure to go check it out!

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast

I'm just here to clarify what 3rd party plugins work with Hitfilm Pro.

• Element 3D
    • VC Orb
    • VC Saber
    • VC Optical Flares
    • VC Heat Distortion
    • Trapcode Particular

But like @Triem23 said - "There are a couple more I'm forgetting, but no more than three." He is spot on 👍️

One note - Hitfilm Pro's particle system is fantastic and you can really do a lot with it! Personally speaking you cant have enough particle systems to work with 😉